Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's one thing after another with this Smart car. ?? This little part of the buckle is broken and nothing is stuck in it. I tried fixing it but no luck. I have no warranty and the Mercedes dealership wants to charge an arm and a leg.. I have tried going to auto repairs but they refuse to work on my car or say they have no parts for it. Is there any alternative? Has anyone gone through this?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Read your warranty information. There should be an extended warranty for safety related items like seat belts. You might also want to call smart USA & inquire about your concern. As a last resort, go to an automotive upholstery shop & have them replace the seat belt. They can order a new belt from a Mercedes Dealer parts department. If you go this route, make sure they disconnect the battery before unplugging any of the connectors under the seat & not to reconnect the battery until all connections are plugged back in.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Just went thru this on 2008 smart.

Dealer charge to replace was $41 for part and $199 for labor - since the seat had to come out.

Took old part home and examined it. After pushing a number of times on the internal metal tab that was stuck, a ragged piece of fabric started to be visible. Pulled that out and it now works fine - TOO LATE.

So, my suggestion:
1. get a good flashlight
2. use thin screwdriver, try to push on the tab inside
3. have tweezer or needlenose pliers handy if something shows up

BTW - the part was not in stock in US and needed to be ordered from Germany.

-Barry-

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
amen to the above.

my suggestion would be to use a thin bladed kitchen (butter) knife to push the inner tab(s) back

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
2008 smart car. Mine was replaced, and fixed under warranty. Safety restraints, coverage warranty varys state to state. Mine was covered up to 7 year, 70k miles, per my state.

If your vehicle is out of its safety restraints warranty. Find and replace it with a salvage one.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,908 Posts
Just went thru this on 2008 smart.

Dealer charge to replace was $41 for part and $199 for labor - since the seat had to come out.
$41 + $199 sounds like cheap insurance, especially in a micro car?

If your vehicle is out of its safety restraints warranty. Find and replace it with a salvage one.
In my world it is difficult to use "salvage" and "safety restraints" in the same sentence?? :shrug:

To avoid any "disconnect" (design changes year over year?) between the tongue and the buckle I'd at least make certain to replace the complete (L&R) seat belt.

Then too, you never know if the salvage restraint (belt webbing/buckle) has been "stressed" (compromised?) in an accident???

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,084 Posts
You can find new and used buckles on Ebay. I bought mine from West Corvina Smart dealer in California (see below) and it was in the $40 to $50 range plus shipping.With an hours worth of time and a torx bit screwdriver and one wrench you could replace the buckle yourself. I just did mine about a month ago.

1. Disconnect one of your battery terminal ( the battery is under the carpet and Styrofoam piece under the passenger footwell. Just grab a corner of the carpet on the edge under the dash and pull. 2 wing nuts holds in the Styrofoam cover and getting it out is the hardest part. A 10mm wrench or socket will disconnect a battery terminal.

2. The seat is held down to the floor with 4 torx bit screws, one on each corner. The size is a T-45.Slide the seat clear forward and you will see the back two. Then slide the seat clear back and the front two is under a small little flap of carpet.

3. Now you can lean the seat back far enough to carefully unplug the wire connectors under the seat. There are 3 to unplug and they are all unique so you can't mix them up. The blue connector goes to the seat belt buckle you will remove. A 17mm wrench will remove the bolt and let you take off the buckle.

4. Now lean the seat over out the door to get at the buckle. It is secured to the seat with one 17mm bolt. Remove it and carefully fish the buckle wire through the set frame (it's a tight fit).

5. Then just reverse the order to put it all back together.

6. If you decide to undertake it be sure to unhook that battery. If you turn on the ignition switch while the wires under the seat are disconnected it will cause your airbag light to come on and that would mean a trip to the dealer to get it reset. Even if you had to buy a wrench and a torx bit it would still be a fraction of the cost of the dealer. DCO

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SMART-OEM-...h=item41c91a0ae4:g:YVgAAOSwaC9adthY:rk:2:pf:0

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
$41 + $199 sounds like cheap insurance, especially in a micro car?

In my world it is difficult to use "salvage" and "safety restraints" in the same sentence?? :shrug:

To avoid any "disconnect" (design changes year over year?) between the tongue and the buckle I'd at least make certain to replace the complete (L&R) seat belt.

Then too, you never know if the salvage restraint (belt webbing/buckle) has been "stressed" (compromised?) in an accident???

It would take a lot force to destroy any seat belt. You could find one from a vehicle blown engine, damage that cost more then the vehicles worth to fix. You can hang a car, with a seat belt, it wouldn’t hurt one.

You don’t need replace both belts. The shoulder belt is fine. It the inside catch at the seat, thats broken won’t latch. The MB dealership just replaced that one mine.

·
Super Moderator
7,908 Posts
It would take a lot force to destroy any seat belt.
Seat belts are designed with webbing that is meant to stretch without breaking during an accident to absorb deceleration forces. Once stretched, the seat belt can lose vital elasticity, making it’s effectiveness in the event of another crash questionable?

Also, in an accident the belt webbing can become "burnished" where it passes through the buckle and/or adjuster weakening the tensile strength of the belt itself.

A "salvage" safety restraint item may have already done it's job ONCE and may not be equally as strong the next time???

Whatever - it's your one life to live . . . :shrug:

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Mine quit too

checked the mail in the box and drove off and the belt would not latch. Stopped and stuffed it in and that was the end. Would not latch after work. Drove it home beltless. Ordered a new one on ebay $65 shipped to the door. Went out to put it in and had to come here to see what it was going to take to finish.

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
Seat belts are designed with webbing that is meant to stretch without breaking during an accident to absorb deceleration forces. Once stretched, the seat belt can lose vital elasticity, making it’s effectiveness in the event of another crash questionable?

Also, in an accident the belt webbing can become "burnished" where it passes through the buckle and/or adjuster weakening the tensile strength of the belt itself.

A "salvage" safety restraint item may have already done it's job ONCE and may not be equally as strong the next time???

Whatever - it's your one life to live . . . :shrug:
Not ever salvage smart car has been in a extreme accident. Blown engines, damage that too costly to repair, without damage to the safety restraints. If you so worried about safety, you might want to consider driving a different vehicle. This smart car was in a 30 mph crash, against a Chrysler mini van. Very little damage to the van. The smart car owner didn’t live. I wouldn’t want any of the safety restraints from it.

·
Super Moderator
7,908 Posts
Not ever salvage smart car has been in a extreme accident. Blown engines, damage that too costly to repair, without damage to the safety restraints. If you so worried about safety, you might want to consider driving a different vehicle.
Sad that you chose to once again post that very gruesome picture???

True not all “salvage belts” have been stressed . . .

Life is about choices - been smartin’ since ‘08 and when you are the smallest vehicle out among the behemoth SUV’s, I err on the side of SAFETY.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread since I am looking for info on seat belts.

MB DNA is correct about the belts. The webbing stretches in impacts. It also ages from UV exposure and the performance of the igniters in the belt pre-tensioners degrade over time. If replacing belts, you should try to get the newest parts available.

But I call BS on snark's claim that that photo is of a 30 mph crash or there was little damage to the vehicle that hit it. Crash test videos suggest otherwise. My wife's smart was rear-ended (while I was at the wheel) while stopped to yield by a Jeep going 30 mph. The smart was launched across the junction, but the damage was relatively light and I could drive the car home (the seat belt was stretched and should have been replaced then and is why I am looking for belt info now).

On the other hand, forTwos are not the smallest vehicle on the road. They are larger than Japanese kei cars and other microcars, like the early Subarus (like 360s) that a friend of mine collects. My wife's smart is much taller than my Lotus Elise and my Lancia Delta Integrale and the smart has a lot more safety gear.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Any belt that held a person in a shunt has done its duty and should be replaced.
Yep. I don't understand why the belt wasn't replaced in the repair work done by the insurance company's preferred shop. Then again, I had to take my wife's car to the Mercedes dealer to finish off the work because the preferred shop's computers couldn't correctly reinitialize all of its controllers, so they were quite as good as my insurance company thought they were. I also had to remove some body panels that they installed and reinstall them correctly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts