Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I get replacement seat bottoms or would I be better off getting complete used leather seats as mine are worn on the bottom.

·
Registered
427 Posts
MB sells them, get ahold of your favorite distributor, last I recall seeing them they weren't absurdly expensive.
451-914-00-14 or you can make replacements yourself. It's been a few years, but I tore apart some old seats and used them as a pattern to make new ones.

If you want a heart attack, look at the price for the foam.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah at nearly 500 per seat bottom.
The price reminds me of Cadillac.
I was wondering if it would be better to just get the complete seats(I’ve seen them on the autobahn site for 200 for both seats)
How easy is it to remove the covers from the seat frame?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yeah at nearly 500 per seat bottom.
The price reminds me of Cadillac.
I was wondering if it would be better to just get the complete seats(I’ve seen them on the autobahn site for 200 for both seats)
How easy is it to remove the covers from the seat frame?
Holy moly, I was looking at the wrong part number....
I haven't taken apart one of these, but they're probably similar. The ones I redid were held on by split rings, pry the rings open and remove them, then worked to slip the covers off.
Cut the seams, lay it out and start hacking! Sew it up and reverse the process. It was very time consuming and there was a lot of fit and test, fit and test, then when I was happy I put the split rings back on.

·
Super Moderator
29,205 Posts
Try a local car upholstery place - should be easy for them to repair. :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do know a few upholstery shops that are local to me so I may call them and see what they say on the cost
Gtdump I would like to do that but I don’t have the patience to sew unfortunately.
Jwight I will likely do that but I don’t know if they will be able to work with what’s left of the current bottoms.
Smark I know and was debating on replacing the leather(either factory or upholstery shop) or just swapping the seats(haven’t got the chance to try the seat warmers to see if they work or not(can this be done with the engine off with a charger on the battery? Or does it require the engine running to get them to power up?))

·
Registered
70 Posts
Location? I have a pair of seats from a 2013 donor. I just want the upper portion for the neat little pockets they have, maybe we could work out a deal for the bottom cushions.

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
I do know a few upholstery shops that are local to me so I may call them and see what they say on the cost
Gtdump I would like to do that but I don’t have the patience to sew unfortunately.
Jwight I will likely do that but I don’t know if they will be able to work with what’s left of the current bottoms.
Smark I know and was debating on replacing the leather(either factory or upholstery shop) or just swapping the seats(haven’t got the chance to try the seat warmers to see if they work or not(can this be done with the engine off with a charger on the battery? Or does it require the engine running to get them to power up?))
The Engine needs to be running, to use the heated seats. The warmers are probably okay under the torn up leather. Give them a try. You just need new leather seat bottom covers. Go to a couple car upholstery shops. Have them give you, a quote price wise. Like someone mentioned. Find a couple salvage seats. Make sure they have seat warmers.

Heres a couple cloth front seats. Cheap. I doubt there heated ones. They look really nice.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok I’ll give them a try and see if they work or not before I go forward on anything.
Most cloth seats I’ve seen in these aren’t heated so it’s mostly likely leather only.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Ok I’ll give them a try and see if they work or not before I go forward on anything.
Most cloth seats I’ve seen in these aren’t heated so it’s mostly likely leather only.
For what it's worth, both of my sets of seats are cloth and both have heaters. It wasn't a criteria for me, just happenstance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts