Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Carnut:
“There is no seat height adjustment for this year. I predict that it will come later on. They were concentrating on the tall drivers but neglected the short ones like myself.”

In going through my UK threads I note a lot of complaints concerning the seat/steering wheel/dash configuration on the new 451s (for which some hold “Americans” responsible). The complaints are centered on insufficient leg clearance under the wheel and dash for taller people. It doesn't seem to be solely a seat height issue. Yesterday I asked if this is a problem with all 451s, RHD and LHD, but so far no response. It might be a RHD-only problem if not everything in a UK 451 is mirrored-imaged, perhaps something under or behind the seat forcing a different mounting. Hope to get some info back, but in the meantime I don’t recall any such problems being reported with the Euro (Continental) LHD 451s brought in for the road tours.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
From Carnut:
“There is no seat height adjustment for this year. I predict that it will come later on. They were concentrating on the tall drivers but neglected the short ones like myself.”

In going through my UK threads I note a lot of complaints concerning the seat/steering wheel/dash configuration on the new 451s (for which some hold “Americans” responsible). The complaints are centered on insufficient leg clearance under the wheel and dash for taller people. It doesn't seem to be solely a seat height issue. Yesterday I asked if this is a problem with all 451s, RHD and LHD, but so far no response. It might be a RHD-only problem if not everything in a UK 451 is mirrored-imaged, perhaps something under or behind the seat forcing a different mounting. Hope to get some info back, but in the meantime I don’t recall any such problems being reported with the Euro (Continental) LHD 451s brought in for the road tours.
I have long legs and don't remember any steering wheel clearance issues during the test drive.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Second that Fish- The driving position was- for me- super comfortable- something I believe is very important to the long term satisfaction with a car and something that definately influenced my decision to buy the 4-2.

·
Registered
69 Posts
How about for us 'shorties' like me, I'm 5'7" OK so not that short? :)

In general, how comfortable are the seats in terms of lumbar/lower back support as well as lateral support while cornering? Any feedback would be appreciated! Good seats are must-haves for me.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I really dont remember the driving experience enough to think if it was right for me. I do remember that the steering wheel was static in that it didnt even tilt let alone telesecope, My old Volvo does that and I am spoiled by the fact that I can drive with my seat back and down and still be able to reach the steering wheel. Now I know that wont be a problem with this car, but I dont like steering wheels at a high angle, makes me feel like I am driving a bus, and I hope/wish that it will be at just the right angle.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To date only one come-back on the inquiry I posted in the UK - this from a tall person who has three years experience with a 450 and just got a 451:

"Anyways I do 50 mile round trip commute everyday and have had no issue with space around my knees and safety breaking, beleive me commuting round London you need to break quickly a lot for all the selfish b d drivers who seem to find chopping up smarts a fun past time.

The one thing I have noticed is the sun blind which is a bit near to my head when pulled over but I do prefer to have panaromic roof uncovered all the time anyways. The one big positive is the seating which is far more comfartable than the previous for two and makes a 1-2 hour trip a dream..." (sics)

Nothing back on RHD vs LHD, but I get the feeling that the UK 451s may come pre-fitted with spacer blocks that could be removed.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm 5'8" and the driving position was very good.

Seat comfort was fine, for the short term. I only got a 5 minute drive around the block, so it's hard to say what the feel will be like in real life.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The lady journalist who wrote the Search Chicago article is, I gather from her story, extremely vertically challenged. She stated that both her and a 6'7" fellow journalist were very comfortable behind the wheel:

http://searchchicago.suntimes.com/autos/research/ciminillo/636914,srch-auto-JC110607.article

For myself, I never gave the driving position any thought during several test drives, which inidicates to me that it was very comfortable and natural.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Well, I come in at a whopping 5'3" and I had no comfort or visibility issues when I took my test drive. But I say I'm 5'4" so keep this info to yourselves :)

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts

In general, how comfortable are the seats in terms of lumbar/lower back support as well as lateral support while cornering? Any feedback would be appreciated! Good seats are must-haves for me.
My wife is 5'-7". No complaints from her except for the transmission and top-heavy handling.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm "generously proportioned" and had no issues whatsoever with comfort. In fact, getting in and out of the smart was easier than my Mazda6 by a large margin! :cool:

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'm 5' 2" and am very comfortable in the 450. Expecting the 451 wil be as comfortable. Visibility is to die for!! Never had a car with such good visibility. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks everyone for the feeback! :)

I think the way to cure the handling issues will be the Brabus wheels and suspension :D

·
Registered
275 Posts
Brabus wheels have had an issue with corrosion in the UK due to the thin coat of laquer they used on them. Also, I saw a picture of the Brabus wheels on one smart, and it appeared as though they were a 4 lug wheel patern instead of a three lug patern. If this is true, I will be swapping out the hubs and going over to the tire rack to pick up a set of rims.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Brabus wheels have had an issue with corrosion in the UK due to the thin coat of laquer they used on them. Also, I saw a picture of the Brabus wheels on one smart, and it appeared as though they were a 4 lug wheel patern instead of a three lug patern. If this is true, I will be swapping out the hubs and going over to the tire rack to pick up a set of rims.
3 lug pattern.:eek: That what you get for building them in France. I hope the Brabus aftermarket offerings include 4 lug rotors and/or hubs. By the way, we getting 4 wheel discs or 2/2 discs/drums?

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
451 Seats

More negative comments logged from the UK concerning the 451 seats for tall persons. Still no comment on if it is a RHD vs LHD situation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts