Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my secondary air injection pump does not come on but I don't have a check engine light. It is less than 10°F outside in the morning when i start it so the engine isn't warm. I am getting under 30 MPG and I'm assuming this has to do with it. I can't seem to find anything like this on the web. :confused:

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
So my secondary air injection pump does not come on but I don't have a check engine light. It is less than 10°F outside in the morning when i start it so the engine isn't warm. I am getting under 30 MPG and I'm assuming this has to do with it. I can't seem to find anything like this on the web. :confused:
The air pump is there to aid in emission control...It's function is to heat up the cat quickly to offset the rich condition during startup... Would have minimal impact on mileage...

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
From Alldatadiy: The secondary air injection pump is actuated via the secondary air injection pump relay (K64) by the ME-SFI [ME] control unit (N3/10) when air injection is enabled.

The secondary air injection pump relay is located in the driver footwell above the accelerator pedals.

:)

·
17,350 Posts
The secondary air injection pump on my car does not turn on in temperatures under 32F.

Don't worry, it's completely normal. In conditions under freezing temp the pump would make little difference.

It has no impact on fuel mileage. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts