Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I replaced the secondary air injection pump today. Here are the steps:

1. Loosen right rear lugs. Jack up from right rear jacking point. Put a stand carefully under the right rear swing arm.

2. Remove wheel.

3. Remove inner wheel well plastic nuts and peel back wheel well surround. You can just barely see the gold BOSCH part number label of the pump back there at the top of picture.

4. The part in-situ. The surface coming out of the upper-left hand corner of the image is the BACK OF THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT. The horizontal square tube of steel along the bottom of the image is the CHASSIS RAIL. So you can see this is a TIGHT FIT.

5. This is the part removed by 3 torx screws that go through the chassis rail mount into the chassis rail. The three torx screws that go through the holes in the mount are not easy to remove. I had to loosen the item in its rubber harness and push it around to get at the torx. I was not able to re-mount the torx going into the rail on the left of the picture! I used blue loc-tite on the other two to compensate for this.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our check engine light came on and the diagnostics was P0410 code secondary air injection pump. 2008 Smart Passion, no frills in it. Just replaced the pump, old one was full of water. Not sure it is working. How can I tell? Not hearing anything. Checked all fuses, all working. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our check engine light came on and the diagnostics was P0410 code secondary air injection pump. 2008 Smart Passion, no frills in it. Just replaced the pump, old one was full of water. Not sure it is working. How can I tell? Not hearing anything. Checked all fuses, all working. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ok, so I'm not getting a P0410 code, I am getting a P2440 code... However, I replaced the Electric Change Over Valve I think it is called and about a week later I got the P2440 code again. My secondary injector sounds like a jet engine now cranking it. So something is going on with the pump itself... I mean it's loud... not the normal whining. Can the P2440 be coming from a bad secondary air injection pump? Also, does anyone have the injector pump part number? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Before you replace the pump pull the hose off the pump and keep it connected to the combination and blow in it if you have air passing through the combination valve is bad and a new pump will be cooked in a month and your gone $100 again and don’t do this while the engine is running lol

·
Registered
180 Posts
Before you replace the pump pull the hose off the pump and keep it connected to the combination and blow in it if you have air passing through the combination valve is bad and a new pump will be cooked in a month and your gone $100 again and don’t do this while the engine is running lol

If I am able to pass air through it, would that be because the over valve has gone bad again? So the valve should be closed at start up and open when started? Thank you

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yeah the valve is closed until there’s a vaccume applied to it when you start the car cold the switch is opened by the Sam vacuume runs to the combination valve and openes it then when the pump stops the vacuume is turned off and the combination valve seals shut again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts