Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm an Aussie who had a Smart for two on his as a second smaller retirement car (yes I'm very close to "that" old), unfortunately they are no longer imported into Australia, after poor sales down-under ?. I'm keeping an eager eye on the second hand market and will get the "right one" eventually.

I recently spent a month or so in the PNW and used the Car2Go Smarts around Seattle and Portland (Amtrak between) did a few day trips and despite the higher cost (no clocking off outside "the zones") compared to a hire car. I just loved them. Travelling solo they were perfect. I'm back in Portland & PNW in November for 12 months and have been checking the online second hand sales.

There seems to a quite a few at $4,990 is that a (no?) warranty thing or just a marketing price point? Even if I could on sell it for around half of that 12 months latter it makes a great value get around for a single bloke not in any real hurry to get around OR and parts WA. No point getting a flash one, as no point in bringing it back with the steering wheel on the "wrong" side.

Any suggestions on buying used Smarts in Portland or Oregon in general? Traps to be aware of? Potential pitfalls etc? Good mechanics for a pre purchase? Any "non resident alien" (with appropriate tourist visa) friendly insurers?

I think I have the registration issues sorted at the OR DMV has a pretty good website.

"... In addition, a vehicle may quaglify for Oregon registration even if the owner is not a resident of Oregon or domiciled in Oregon if one or more of the following applies:
The vehicle is usually left in Oregon when the owner is away from Oregon, is used primarily for personal transportation in Oregon, is a private passenger vehicle or a vehicle having a loaded weight of less than 10,000 pounds, and is not a motor home or a camper; or
......."

Thanks for any assistance or suggestions. Peter.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Another benefit of Oregon is that you don't pay sales tax. But watch out for rust if the car was used on salted roads. Others will give better advice on years and mechanical pointers. Don't pay so little that you end up spending more on repairs, and remember that it can take time and patience to sell a used smart at the end of your trip; not everyone understands their virtues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
.....Another benefit of Oregon is that you don't pay sales tax. ...
Thanks Steve,
yes, I noticed the difference between travelling in WA and OR, another thing that took a little bit of getting used to was that the "ticket / menu etc price" excluded the tax, "downunder" the legislation mandates the quoted price must include GST (goods and services tax), currently at 10%. All the best. Peter.

PS: salted roads - had to google that

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
road salt won't have much affect on the body of a smart. Plastic doesn't rust, but the metal components do. (I.E. exhaust, suspension, etc) and most of that is powder coated to protect it better.

·
Banned
844 Posts
Thanks Steve,
yes, I noticed the difference between travelling in WA and OR, another thing that took a little bit of getting used to was that the "ticket / menu etc price" excluded the tax, "downunder" the legislation mandates the quoted price must include GST (goods and services tax), currently at 10%. All the best. Peter.

PS: salted roads - had to google that
i've had a 2008 smart for 8-1/2 years near chicago, salt kingdom in the winter, no rust issues under the smart. the discs get surface rust after a rain, but that's normal and goes away in a mile of driving. just hit 70,000 miles last week. the pure roof is starting to peel, i may paint it with black textured paint next year, it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Doesn't really snow in oregon anyway. 2 inches a year if that.

Watch out for the Smart 451's in white those are old Smart2go cars that are being sold. They have had tons of people in them and are usually driven to death.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Watch out for the Smart 451's in white those are old Smart2go cars that are being sold. They have had tons of people in them and are usually driven to death.
Thanks, yes I drove both ends of the spectrum when there in April, one with only a few thousand and even smelt "new" and others that seemed very tried indeed despite ~20+K.

Given the range of mileages on "the white ones" on offer at the dealers, any ideas as to what criteria determines when they wholesale them off the fleet? Time, miles, general condition, accident damage, expected imminent mechanical issues?

Is (just) under $5K a "reasonable" price? How does warrety work in OR in that price range (30 miles or 30 minutes which ever comes first like here?)

Ta. Peter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts