Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the old cars with rear shoes, :D. we would touch up the adjustment by backing up briskly and apply brakes firmly a couple of times.

Does this still work on the Smart? Seems to bring up the peddle on ours, but it may be just psychosomatic.:D A2Jack

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
It's an automatic adjustor. Not like the old days when you used the brake spoon to adjust the adjustor from the back of the backing plate.

The auto adjustor does work off the hand brake. To make the auto adjustor work you pull the hand brake up all the way wait a second, release, then go again. If the shoes need adjusting you'll hear the adjustor "click" from the brake drum (the adjustor). You keep pulling the hand brake and releasing until there are no more clicks.

This isn't word for word what is in the service manual but it's pretty darn close. :)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So we get two for the money when we pull up the hand brake at a long light.

We save clutch wear AND adjust our brakes. Sweet:! :D A2Jack

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
off to check my brake adj. I never use the parking break. unless I park on a steep hill. that is rare though
Y'all should also use your parking brake occasionally to keep the cables from seizing up. Back when I was taking the class on brakes, someone had an ('05?) Tahoe in the shop. The parking brake had just about never been used, and when it was, the return spring wasn't quite enough to un-apply it. In one highway trip after that, it toasted just about everything to do with the rear brakes. It needed new rear calipers, pads, rotors, shoes (separate parking brake system), axle seals, bearings, and more. Probably the next thing to go would have been the tires, and that would have been very bad indeed. :eek: Even as is, IIRC the repairs were well over $1000, and that was with free labor courtesy of the brakes class.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
It's an automatic adjustor. Not like the old days when you used the brake spoon to adjust the adjustor from the back of the backing plate.

The auto adjustor does work off the hand brake. To make the auto adjustor work you pull the hand brake up all the way wait a second, release, then go again. If the shoes need adjusting you'll hear the adjustor "click" from the brake drum (the adjustor). You keep pulling the hand brake and releasing until there are no more clicks.

This isn't word for word what is in the service manual but it's pretty darn close. :)
That's an extremely interesting and handy bit of information. I wonder if this could be applied to the Saturn S-Series self-adjusting rear drums.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Won't post pics (copyrighted material) but once I find it again I will print it and write it out verbatim. :) What I wrote was pretty much word for word with the flowery stuff removed, pressing brake wasn't part of the flowery stuff left out - it just wasn't there.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Won't post pics (copyrighted material) but once I find it again I will print it and write it out verbatim. :) What I wrote was pretty much word for word with the flowery stuff removed, pressing brake wasn't part of the flowery stuff left out - it just wasn't there.
No need to "post", just reference :)

It would be nice to know, one way or the other :)

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
I had found it ALLDATA. Glanced in there quickly earlier today but couldn't find it again, didn't have a whole lot of time to look as I was busy all day.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
ALLDATA states:

When the brake drum is assembled no manual adjustments may be performed at the automatic adjuster.

1 Operate hand brake once and release again.
2 Operate service brake, release, and wait for approx. 1 second. Apply hand brake with button pressed and release. Repeat the procedure until no "actuation clicks" can be heard in the brake drum.
3 Check the rear wheels rotate freely
4 When all work has been completed, check the vehicle brake on the brake test stand.
Differences in braking power above 20 % are not permissible.
© ALLDATA 2012, quoted under fair use.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts