Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Thanks, I haven't been at the computer all day today. Gut feeling told me you would reply to this thread. :wink: My gut was right. :)

I did quote slightly incorrect so good job on making it right. Kudos.

·
Registered
54 Posts
rear brake automatic adjustments failure scenario

My car is a 1999 with 36k miles in the US

Having just completed a rear brake rebuild, I have a scenario that caused the failure of my AUTOMATIC adjusting rear brakes.

I was prompted by a rainy day skid/ABS pulse and an emergency hand brake application to avoid a collision.
When I applied the Hand brake stopping distance was dramatically reduced. I attempted the automatic adjustment process with no improvement.

Once the rear drums were removed I found that both rear wheel cylinders were stuck ONLY on one side.. towards the front??

This limited the total brake shoe travel by half and prevented the automatic adjustment...

To my surprise I so was present with the lining from one brake shoes when the drum was removed like a kid being force to spit out gum during school... spit....poof.... thud...

So I was only using one of Four possible rear shoes...
and had the un-bonded lining moved it would have locked the one rear brake... NOt fun a 60mph...

Repairs are done and now I am having to learn NOT to throw my passenger towards the windshield when stopping...

PS I was able to buy the rear shoes from my local Advanced and the oil filter too.. NOT the screw on filter...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I believe they are self adjusting - at least haven't run across any mention of a manual adjustment procedure. :)
You can manually adjust the rear brakes. First you have to remove wheel and look thru the hole that the lug nut goes in and line up with the adjustment wheel and with a long screwdriver turn the adjustments wheel. I learned this the hard way when trying to get brake drum off. Lots of times it’s really hard to get off unless you loosen brake pads.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So we get two for the money when we pull up the hand brake at a long light.

We save clutch wear AND adjust our brakes. Sweet:! :D A2Jack
I also shift to neutral at traffic lights, even with firm pressure on the foot brake, there is still tension on the throwout bearing and clutch disc.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts