Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

I have a question that's been bothering me for a couple of weeks and thought I would seek some opinions.

While returning from Nashville to Illinois during Thanksgiving weekend we came into construction just prior to crossing into Illinois. Traffic slowed down to a crawl of about 10 mph and less. We were in the left lane and a semi truck was signaling to come into our lane. We let him in. The semi proceeded to pull up next to another semi in the right lane and they basically formed a blockade. There was bumper to bumper traffic in the right lane but the semi in the left lane just continued to pace the semi in the right lane until there was approx. 1 mile of empty space in front of him. We followed for about 5 miles then when traffic slowed even more we decided to pass him on the shoulder (I know, an illegal pass). The semi swerved left in an effort to block us. :confused: Am I missing something? Was there a valid reason for the blockade? Shortly after we passed the semi sped up and got on our bumper, honking his horn etc. At this point we called the State Police and reported his erratic driving. He pulled off at the next exit waving at us to follow. Needless to say we didn't follow. Any over the road truckers out there that can explain this to me? NO, we weren't in our smart car.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,076 Posts
I've seen truckers do that when a lane is closed for construction ahead (signs posted well in advance) and they are preventing the idiots who like to fly down the closing lane and then try to push their way in when they hit the barrier causing even more delay. And I give them kudos for doing so.

But if it's just slow moving, congested traffic in both lanes like you're describing, then I'm not sure why the truckers would do that.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
..they do that to minimize the gear shifting....allow the traffic to flow at a lower speed behind them and they can do that because they know what's ahead thanks to their CB connection...I've done that too...ride next to a big rig just to keep on moving..

Jetfuel...breaker 1 9

·
Registered
800 Posts
I've seen truckers do that when a lane is closed for construction ahead (signs posted well in advance) and they are preventing the idiots who like to fly down the closing lane and then try to push their way in when they hit the barrier causing even more delay. And I give them kudos for doing so.

But if it's just slow moving, congested traffic in both lanes like you're describing, then I'm not sure why the truckers would do that.
El Paso was bad that way. People ignore the overhead signs and try and sneak in. Used to do that in my car and bike. They will hold my spot to get back in.

·
17,345 Posts
I find that truckers are always trying to be more helpful than most drivers on the road. If they hear of a crash ahead, they'll try to slow down traffic around them, warn other drivers, etc.

Just this Saturday I merged onto I-94 just to see a wall of semis taking up at least four lanes. Why? Because despite the fact that there was a layer of snow and ice on the road, courageous idiots were trying to speed in those conditions.

Hat tip for trying to save the rest of us from ourselves.

Also: NEVER (almost under any circumstance) try to pass in the shoulder. Not only are there usually a mess of auto parts, oils, and debris there, but that's about the most dangerous thing you could do on the Interstate, especially when you're talking about trucks!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Another thing Billy Bigrigger really hates is pulling a car along that's doing their best Richard Petty. My first Smart had a Tach, and you really could get 46mpg or better. I guess too close is when you can see how much brake lining is left on the trailer. "Slingshot" almost works till you get by the drive axles. I do not endorse this dangerous practice, but they did it on Myth Busters so it's go to be true!!??

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
It's hard to say - sometimes they are just being pr!¢# s. I see that a lot-- people, truckers or not, driving slow in the left lane as a form of passive-agressive behavior. In 35+ years or driving I think I may have done a shoulder pass no more than once or twice. They finally had to make some 'trucks left lane only for 18 miles' on the I30 beteeen Dallas and Ft. worth because the truckers were slowing down traffic so bad. Since they instituted that restriction, traffic is flowing MUCH better! The left lane is for passing only!

·
17,345 Posts
That's how it works in everywhere else in the world. If you're passing, you're in the left lane (or right for RHD countries), if you're not, then you're in the lane that best describes the speed you're traveling. Middle lanes for fast moving traffic, far over lanes for trucks and slowest moving traffic.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Not in California, any lane is legal. Can't discriminate against people who can't afford cars fast enough to be in left lane. They pay taxes and can use any lane they want. I watch them get on at 57mph and make a bee line across all lanes to the far left lane and camp out there even though the speed limit is 65. Another reason I want outta here.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Not in California, any lane is legal. Can't discriminate against people who can't afford cars fast enough to be in left lane. They pay taxes and can use any lane they want. I watch them get on at 57mph and make a bee line across all lanes to the far left lane and camp out there even though the speed limit is 65. Another reason I want outta here.
I was thinking the other day that this would be a really good use for drones! The drone would be loaded with 2 inch diameter paintballs in 3 colors. Each color would represent a fine amount depending on the infraction. The drone would 'tag' offenders (drive convertibles especially carefully!). Driving slow in the left lane impeding traffic would, of course, result in enormous fines! multiple colors would result in fine multipliers. Cameras located along troubled areas would encourage folks to play nice!:cool:

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Fines? Who pays fines? The reckless speeders, just don't pay their fines, and there are not enough police to enforce safe driving around here. I avoid the interstate loop like the plague during rush hour to avoid the inconsiderate drivers that believe their vehicle is unwreckable at any speed.

·
Registered
465 Posts
That is done to stop idiots from not taking their turn. Lane is ending ahead and everybody thinks their hurry is more important than everybody elses. So they try to fly up the closing lane and force their way in. This causes the folks in the through lane to come to a stand still for long periods. This rushing sround traffic is dangerous big time.It also causes huge chain reaction accidents. Rush ahead and stand on the brake and then dang near take the front end off the car that's been waiting patiently. If everyone would just merge one car then merge, one car then merge this wouldn't be needed.

In the mountains of western MD on holiday weekends like Thanksgiving the fools try to pass traffic in the right hand truck lane at crazy speeds. This is the slow lane folks. They go flying up the mountain at 85 in the slow lane then encounter a truck at 20. So they just whip in on folks. Super dangerous and causes bad accidents all the time. I myself have been known to do the blockade in my truck(not semi) on many occasions. Much safer and makes traffic flow for all. Wait your turn folks!

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
That is done to stop idiots from not taking their turn. Lane is ending ahead and everybody thinks their hurry is more important than everybody elses. So they try to fly up the closing lane and force their way in. This causes the folks in the through lane to come to a stand still for long periods. This rushing sround traffic is dangerous big time.It also causes huge chain reaction accidents. Rush ahead and stand on the brake and then dang near take the front end off the car that's been waiting patiently. If everyone would just merge one car then merge, one car then merge this wouldn't be needed.

In the mountains of western MD on holiday weekends like Thanksgiving the fools try to pass traffic in the right hand truck lane at crazy speeds. This is the slow lane folks. They go flying up the mountain at 85 in the slow lane then encounter a truck at 20. So they just whip in on folks. Super dangerous and causes bad accidents all the time. I myself have been known to do the blockade in my truck(not semi) on many occasions. Much safer and makes traffic flow for all. Wait your turn folks!
yeah, real safe:rolleyes: -- you'll get some jackel so wound up stewing behind you that they will eventually pop and pass on the shoulder -- pretty clever. Until they give you a badge and a salary to go with it stay in the right lane -- it's the law!

·
Registered
465 Posts
9 times out of 10 it's the right lane that is ending. I don't block the left lane. There is no law that says you have to yield the right lane. Technically the blocker is matching traffic speed of the through (fast, left) lane. It would be a different story if they were not.

As far as a jackleg putting himself in the ditch that's his problem. Actually when a couple of trucks do this down the lane it normally calms traffic in general considerbly. It's all the insane passing on the right at 3-4 times traffic speed that gets folks would up.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,076 Posts
9 times out of 10 it's the right lane that is ending. I don't block the left lane. There is no law that says you have to yield the right lane. Technically the blocker is matching traffic speed of the through (fast, left) lane. It would be a different story if they were not.

As far as a jackleg putting himself in the ditch that's his problem. Actually when a couple of trucks do this down the lane it normally calms traffic in general considerbly. It's all the insane passing on the right at 3-4 times traffic speed that gets folks would up.
Yep, and then someone in the right lane going 10 mph decides to jump in the left after seeing the cars fly by and gets plowed by a guy doing 65 mph. I'd rather see a truck block the lane and hold the pace so it's quicker for everyone and let some moron ditch their car in the median and hopefully get ticketed. Both scenarios have unsafe parts, but IMHO, I'd rather have this one.

·
17,345 Posts
Oh yeah, the lanes are legal even across the world. :) It's just the highway etiquette in many regions that lanes are divided by travel speed. Those going the fastest get the lane farthest over while those going the slowest or will be needing to exit have the lanes nearest the exits.

However, in some countries they allow lane splitting for all vehicles so quite often traffic doesn't even stay between the lines. :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just for the record, there was no two into one lane merging in this case. If the trucker in this case was doing a "service" I don't know why he exited the first exit. I have to assume someone was monitoring the police band and knew they were enroute. Also don't know why he sped up after we passed him just so he could ride our a**.:confused:

·
17,345 Posts
Hard to justify the trucker's actions as there's missing information, but you do have enough in your first post to kinda sorta answer your question.

Perhaps the trucker was trying to control traffic flow, which doesn't sound too unreasonable to me. Up in the northern part of the state here, construction often brings traffic to an absolute stop.

There's always some idiot trying to do triple digits through the construction zone, then they either hit someone or lose control while traversing different surfaces.

But I'm pretty sure the horn blowing and tailgating was a response to the attempt at a shoulder pass. :)

While returning from Nashville to Illinois during Thanksgiving weekend we came into construction just prior to crossing into Illinois. Traffic slowed down to a crawl of about 10 mph and less.

...We followed for about 5 miles then when traffic slowed even more we decided to pass him on the shoulder (I know, an illegal pass). The semi swerved left in an effort to block us.

Was there a valid reason for the blockade? Shortly after we passed the semi sped up and got on our bumper, honking his horn etc. At this point we called the State Police and reported his erratic driving. He pulled off at the next exit waving at us to follow.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
It's unreasonable because it's not thier job. They don't have the authority to impede traffic! Nor does anyone else's that doesn't have a badge! The best things that ever happened to the flow of traffic on the I30, was restricting trucks to the right lane. Previous to that they would spread out, take up every lane either going exactly the same ridiculously slow speed, or within a fraction of a mph of each other. I don't think anyone considered that a public service! They were FAR more worried about making up 2 minutes for themselves instead of slowing down 100's of others-- no love lost!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts