Smart Car of America Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Serious deal breaking cabrio flaw? call co asap

5K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  karltrev 
#1 · (Edited)
#9 ·
To cabrio or not to cabrio?

Not to prolong this, but I read the posts at the link above and they were all overwhelmingly positive about the cabrio, even the fit of the top. So what's the issue? Seems like it's built to typical Mercedes standards and should function just fine. As for the post from Spain, just consider that a one off and let it go.

We now return your to your regular programming....:)

#13 · (Edited)
update, reply from co is below.

a disappointment, as it was not handled by ken, the person the email was sent, nor was an expert contacted, but likely, only a secretary, covering email general inquiries.

the below co reply, may reflect an incompetency of the smart company, and/or they are so swamped by inquiries, its not presently possible to respond in a professional manner.

bottom line, the cabrio flaw verdict, appears to be still out, and likely, the flaw/leak/problem still exists, and will likely exist on incoming usa models.

only a more detailed reply, by mercedes experts as requested, will be able to give confidence, the problem may be under consideration, and/or being resolved.

presently, it appears, nothing is being done, and that smart will allow defective smarts to hit the usa on the introduction, and possibly throughout the entire 2008 model year, the below is from the company, today, via email.

----------------

Dear smart Enthusiast,

smart USA does not anticipate any problems, such as you have mentioned, with the US models of the smart fortwo.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please contact us via email or by phone at 1.800.smartusa.

Thank you for your interest in smart USA. You will be hearing from us soon!

Alex Pina

Customer Service

1.800.smartusa

www.smartusa.com

------------------------------------
email sent to smart a few days ago:

to: Ken.Kettenbeil@penskecorp.com

mr. Kettenbeil,

re: 2008 usa smart convertible roof attachment

i am concerned over a possible roof leak, wind noise, and potential vandalism on the 2008 usa smart cabrio, near the upper rear side of the tridion, and rear window side, as discussed at the web site location below:

http://smartcarofamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1228

could you contact a mercedes design or other appropriate expert engineer, to inquire how,and/or if, and/or when, they plan to fix this possible problem.

i presently have a confirm order on a smart convertible, dated 10/26/07.

please be as detailed as possible, including the name of the mercedes expert you contacted to explain the planned fix.

i hope to post your reply,on the above smart web site, for others to read the formal company reply addressing this issue, who are also concerned and have the usa 2008 smart convertible on order.

thank you.

#14 · (Edited)
the co reply gives no evidence, only provides an uninformed catch all reply, appears nothing has been checked out, in total likely nothing more than a blind winging it email.

this is not good.

it is the mark of a fly by night, here one day, gone the next, company, having no substance, no viability.

most everyone would notice the same, except the most naively and challenged consumers.

even a bottom of the barrel no value huckster would likely provide more useful info than this email.

the issue is serious.

now, the problem is even worse than before, as the company appears to be covering up a significant design flaw problem, and/or so negligent, that no one at the company can bother to touch, or ask someone to touch, the roof top, to check it out.

and then, with this obvious problem, what disasters lies below the not so obvious?

this is not good.

im sorry, but i cant spend any more time explaining the obvious.

if there is any further co info provided to me via email or otherwise, on the matter, i will post it. and hope others will do the same, if they discover public disclosures that have been make to the press, or otherwise, on this, or other emerging defects or problems.

#15 · (Edited)
Please cancel your order. You obviously do not trust Daimler to produce a quality product. Since this a deal breaker for you as you stated at the beginning of this post, break the deal, get your $99 back and get some quality product, perhaps a Yugo? <jk>. Leave us to consider more rational things, like when the heck is my car going to arrive?

As for me, I trust Diamler (the inventor of the automobile going back to 1871, hardly "fly by night") more than I trust your rants. These are the people will have sold over a million cars this year. Brands including Mercedes-Benz, smart, Maybach, AMG, Freightliner, Sterling, Western Star, Mitsubishi Fuso, Setra, Detroit Diesel, Thomas Built Buses, Orion. With its strong brands and a comprehensive portfolio of automobiles, Daimler is active in nearly all countries in the world. Their answer to your question, that they do not anticipate the problems you raised, is enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.