Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Service Bulletin - Discharge/Charge Procedure Prior to Battery Status Check

This bulletin covers the procedure needed to obtain a valid current capacity measurement when performing a battery pack scan using an appropriate scanner or the open source device - or when taking the car to a MB/Smart workshop to have this done.

As far as I have heard or read, no MB/Smart service writer in the US/Canada has ever provided the following "Important Customer Communication Information" to any Smart ED owner:

------------------------------------------

Date: May 6, 2014

Order No.: SM-B-54.10/09

Group: 54

SUBJECT: MY-All, Model 451.390/391/490/491 Preparation for Performing Maintenance Service or Status Check of High-Voltage Battery

When doing service maintenance for smart electric drive 3rd Generation vehicles the high-voltage battery is to be tested (AP54.10P-5451MEX) as per maintenance sheet (AP00.20-P-1229MEX) in the Additional operations section. To ensure that any losses in capacity are reliably determined during the test, the high-voltage battery has to undergo a specific discharge cycle before conducting the test step.

Important Customer Communication Information:

The customer must be notified when agreeing on an appointment, i.e. before the workshop date, that he must perform the following step before the maintenance service, insofar as this is not part of the customer's normal driving cycle:

^ Drive vehicle (discharge) to < 40 % SOC (see left-hand round "SOC" dial on instrument panel).

^ Leave vehicle parked for approximately 2 hours (no driving, no charging).

^ After this idle period of approximately 2 hours, connect the charging cable, and fully charge the vehicle to 100 % SOC.

^ The vehicle can then be operated normally again.

^ By discharging to < 40 % SOC, having an idle period, and then the renewed charging process, the high-voltage battery undergoes a capacity test. The test result is then read out during maintenance. This cycle must be run through once, 3 weeks before the maintenance service. If, by contrast, the vehicle is only ever driven when in the high SOC range, this test cannot be successfully undertaken.

Important Workshop Process Information:

When conducting the maintenance service as per maintenance sheet (AP00.20- P- 1229MEX) the high-voltage battery (AP54.10-P-5451MEX) must be tested as stated in the Additional operations section.

^ If this procedure can be conducted, the corresponding capacity value is then shown. The test log is to be included with the maintenance documents, and handed over to the customer when requested.

^ If this procedure does not produce a valid value, then the procedure within this maintenance service shall end here, i.e., no further tests shall be made.

^ In the event of customer complaint, i.e., where the customer makes an express request, a capacity test can be conducted at any given time using XENTRY DAS through the "High-voltage battery - Complaint" guided tests, and it can be settled taking the applicable warranty policy into consideration.

^ In this case, please notify the customer that the vehicle should again be discharged and charged, shortly before the next maintenance service, to enable a valid and current capacity value to be determined (see "Customer communication" section).

Notes on cost settlement: [deleted]

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,722 Posts
Five years later and yet NONE of the smart Centers were aware of this procedure?

Makes you wonder just what the highly compensated folks at smart USA, Atlanta do/did 9-5???

·
Super Moderator
1,516 Posts
We have mentioned the test procedure steps Yinzer mentioned in Post #1 several times on the forum. The first time I recall someone mentioning it, it was reported that the European service centers told the customers about it but the US service centers never did. I always go through those steps when I test my batteries and we try to remember to tell anyone buying our test units about it. If a battery test is done without going through those steps, then the reading will show the last time the steps were "accidentally" followed. I think Jon Renner's reported test results are an example. IIRC his results showed 331 days or so since the last self test.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 18,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 12,500 miles

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is good info, Yinzer. So if I'm understanding this correctly, those procedures must be conducted within three weeks of the appointment to get an accurate capacity reading?

·
Super Moderator
1,516 Posts
This is good info, Yinzer. So if I'm understanding this correctly, those procedures must be conducted within three weeks of the appointment to get an accurate capacity reading?
The battery test shows results from the last time the parameters were met. The closer you do it to the test, the more up to date it will be of course. I usually do mine the day before I test.

Len

·
Registered
148 Posts
The capacity change is quite gradual (a couple percentage points per year typically), so I wouldn't make a huge deal of whether the last measurement was a day, a week, or a month ago.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The battery test shows results from the last time the parameters were met. The closer you do it to the test, the more up to date it will be of course. I usually do mine the day before I test.

Len
Yeah, I've never heard these instructions before but I will definitely be doing it before my next appointment.

The capacity change is quite gradual (a couple percentage points per year typically), so I wouldn't make a huge deal of whether the last measurement was a day, a week, or a month ago.
For sure. I just rarely get below 40% and definitely don't wait 2 hours before charging it when I do.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for this. Over the winter I got used to a reduced number of miles on the Guestimator but expected it to get back up to 80 in the warmer weather (that was very delayed here in Buffalo this year). It didn't improve much. I figured that my charging every night was probably catching up with me. I drew the charge down to zero and charged slow (110). The Guestimator responded from low 50's to high 60's. Did it again from zero and two more times at <20% and the number is now in the mid 70 miles. I'll try just going under 40% and doing the wait and see if it improves any more than it has. Thanks again.

·
Registered
124 Posts
"I drew the charge down to zero" (a few times) [RZ14]
You are doing this by driving the car, right? And because you have lost faith in the car's BMS to effectively bottom_balance/top_balance all by itself?
VR
--

·
Registered
148 Posts
You are doing this by driving the car, right?
When working on the battery diagnostic tool, I often had to draw the battery down and didn't feel like driving the car to do it, so I would just run the air conditioning in the garage which would run the battery down without any risk of getting stranded, plus I could do something else and just monitor it periodically.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When it went to 52 miles I knew I had to do something different.
After the "treatment" last night it leveled at 76 miles.
Gained about five over the results of the previous four charges.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sorry to have missed the lecture series given at local MB dealer re: balancing your Smart_EV battery. I'm told there was a quiz !! But I recently did learn one new thing about my Smarty, that the ">47" on the dash is the estimated mileage remaining in battery, and not the number of days until Service Required. A small step for a man . . .

VR
--

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
When it went to 52 miles I knew I had to do something different.
After the "treatment" last night it leveled at 76 miles.
Gained about five over the results of the previous four charges.
The changes in the range estimate you see are just due to changes in ambient temperature (warmer=longer range) or your driving behavior improving the stored value of past energy consumption (i.e. miles or km per kilowatt-hr), NOT any change to the battery pack health.

You can also always turn the right stalk to the "Reset" menu, and push and hold the left button to zero-out the miles driven and cumulative miles/KWh and the range indicator will go up to a higher default value.

The range indicator on the Smart is very approximate until you are down to the final 20-30 percent and can cause more range anxiety than it is supposed to prevent. I prefer to just use the trip odometer and SOC meter to estimate the range left.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry to have missed the lecture series given at local MB dealer re: balancing your Smart_EV battery. I'm told there was a quiz !! But I recently did learn one new thing about my Smarty, that the ">47" on the dash is the estimated mileage remaining in battery, and not the number of days until Service Required. A small step for a man . . .

VR
--
As they say, "RTFM!"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts