Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just called Bloomfield Hills to schedule a service appointment for my 2008 smart passion cabriolet and was told that they are no longer an authorized service center for smarts. They said that Ann Arbor's Mercedes Dealer is now the place to take smart cars for service. Since I live closer to Ann Arbor that did not upset me, but I am wondering why it is so and why us loyal smart owners who have been steady customers since 2008 were not notified of the change.
Anybody got a scoop of what's going on?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I live in Toledo and was just there last week getting an extra key made. It's a lot closer to me also. They seem really excited about becoming a smart service center and that's a good thing.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have my first appointment tomorrow, so I'll post my 'impressions'. I'm just hoping that they have the part in stock that my car needs so I don't have to make two trips to get something simple repaired. It's times like this that I miss the Original Bloomfield Hills smart dealership under Penske's people.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have my first appointment tomorrow, so I'll post my 'impressions'. I'm just hoping that they have the part in stock that my car needs so I don't have to make two trips to get something simple repaired. It's times like this that I miss the Original Bloomfield Hills smart dealership under Penske's people.
My impression is to expect a learning curve as I was told that they sent out one mechanic to learn about smart cars. I doubt they have a large inventory (or any inventory) of parts.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had to order parts....

Those of you who predicted that they probably wouldn't have very many parts on hand were absolutely correct. I decided to get three different repairs done and each of those required one part and none of the three were in stock. However, the good news is that they promised to have those parts shipped overnight and they were nice enough to send me home in a Mercedes Benz with just over 1,000 miles on it, because my heater blower had gone out and in the 7 degree weather I drove up there in, my windows were frosted over inside the car. It's a good thing I have heated seats or I would have really been frozen after my hour drive.
They predicted that my vehicle would be done the next day (Friday) and if the parts came too late in the day to finish the repairs they would finish it up on Saturday. Now, we'll get to see how accurate their predictions are. Oddly enough, it's much easier for me to get in and out of my little Smart than the more expensive Mercedes. He was going to send me home in a smart car loaner but said they did not have any, yet.

When I complained that I thought loyal customers who have been having their cars serviced regularly at the authorized smart centers should have been notified that the service location had been changed, I was told that they also did not get the official notice until after their phone was ringing off the hook with customers that the previous service dealership had informed that Ann Arbor would be their official service center. Sounds like MBA needs some lessons on making a good impression in their business dealings.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My first experience with the NEW authorized service center for smart in Ann Arbor (Mercedes Benz dealership) was very positive. Although they did not have the parts the day before, they had them shipped in via overnight express and it was completed by the next day. My service advisor even informed me that they needed s special tool that they did not have, yet, because it had not arrived from Germany, so they ended up sending a person over to the Bloomfield Hills, MI, dealership and getting it to complete the repair on my car. Everybody I encountered was friendly, down to earth, helpful, and true to their word. I am IMPRESSED, with my first encounter.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
We gave up on Bloomfield Hills after moving to the south end of the state.

Nancy and I would never have sold our little Smartie had we been able to get service in Ann Arbor.

MB dealer is just over on Jackson Ave I believe. :eek:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am going to check these guys out:

Steve's European Automotive

I live in Clinton Twp. and that would be an easier drive. But the other alternative is:
smart Centre Windsor
9225 Tecumseh Road East
N8R 1A1 Windsor
Arthur - Did you ever check out Steve’s European Automotive? Its time for my oil change and given my work schedule its a pain to drive to AA or Windsor.

Thanks
Laura

1 - 13 of 13 Posts