Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I have a 2016 Smart Fortwo Prime (5-speed) that I took in for it's first service. Along with the service, there were a bunch of little things I took it in for - bluetooth not working consistently, broken seat belt guide, tow cover falling out, among other things. In any case, the dealer has now had it for about 2.5 weeks, and I haven't heard a word from them. They gave me a very nice loaner, so I'm not in a huge hurry to get my car back, but the time this is taking is making me a bit nervous.

I'm sure they are waiting for parts for something, however, if they ever change their loaner policy and decide not to provide them in the future, or say, if I got in an accident or something, is this the kind of turnaround I can expect to have parts come in? I'm curious - has anybody else run into this issue? If this is what I can expect in the future, I'm very tempted to get rid of the car and into something else. This is my daily driver and I put 50 miles a day on it - public transport or ridesharing isn't an option for me. I know these cars aren't hugely popular or mainstream, but I certainly didn't expect these sort of delays. I only imagine that this sort of thing might just get worse over time now that the petrol cars are gone. Thoughts on this? Am I being somewhat paranoid?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly, didn't think it was a question for them. If they're waiting for parts, they're waiting for parts. Can't really do much to speed it up. I'm just looking to see what other Smart owners have experienced.

·
17,476 Posts
Welcome to our fun asylum!

One of the dealers in my local area are the exact opposite. They hate holding onto your car so much that they will either make you wait in the waiting room while they do a 4 hour job (they won’t give you a loaner unless you basically get on your hands and knees) or try to force you to drive a broken car while they wait for the parts.

The other dealer in my local area will give you a loaner for even the most inane issues, but they seem to not want to keep your car for more than three days. They’ll overnight parts if they have to.

For your stated issues, the biggest time consumer is likely the tow bolt cover. The replacement covers for the tow bolt hole aren’t painted at the factory. Instead they ship out primer gray pieces that the dealer then has to paint. I recommend sticking a small piece of foam in between the bumper and the crash bar, that should keep your replacement cover from taking flight.

Regardless, it shouldn’t take anywhere near 2.5 weeks for the issues you’ve mentioned. Give them a call, they’re doing something wrong.

Reactions: api_123

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fair enough, I'll check in with them tomorrow. I'm starting to feel guilty about all the miles I'm putting on the loaner.. it's a fairly new 2018 C300. I've nearly doubled the mileage that it had when I picked it up! I guess I might as well enjoy it while it lasts though.

·
Registered
729 Posts
My MB dealer is usually really good about getting the work done in a timely manner and even gave me a loaner for my 40k mile service.

Only exception was when my 451 got a new pano roof due to lifting at the rear. They had my smart for almost a month while I was driving their cla250 loaner.

I usually asked at least once a week for an update but didn’t make a fuss when told “still waiting on parts”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I called this morning. My service advisor wasn't available, so I left a message. 5 hours later and no call back. I suppose I won't worry about it for now. At least I can say I made the effort. My only concern is that I'm heading out of town on Wednesday, and I'll be gone a week. I just need to make sure they don't try and charge me for having the loaner if they decide to get my car ready while I'm away.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Well, I called this morning. My service advisor wasn't available, so I left a message. 5 hours later and no call back. I suppose I won't worry about it for now. At least I can say I made the effort. My only concern is that I'm heading out of town on Wednesday, and I'll be gone a week. I just need to make sure they don't try and charge me for having the loaner if they decide to get my car ready while I'm away.

I wouldn’t worry about that. When they call you to say the smart is ready just tell them you are out of town and can return on X day to pick up your smart.

I live 2-2.5hrs from my dealer and work 7-3 most days. When they call me to pick up I tell them when I’m off and can make the 5 hr round trip and they’ve never charged me for loaner. (It’s usually 3-5 days after mines ready)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts