Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi FL Smarties!

I'm planning on buying my first Smart (Passion) within the next couple of months, and I have a question about service. I live in the panhandle near Pensacola, and there isn't a Smart dealership within 100 miles! So...

1) Does anyone have experience with the Smart dealership in Tampa? Would you recommend them?

2) Where I get warranty work done in the Pensacola area?

3) Where can I get regular oil changes etc?

4) How well do Smarts hold up over time? I'll be commuting about 80 miles a day to work.

Thanks in advance!

Mindi :sunshine:

·
5,297 Posts
Welcome to SCoA!

Welcome!

I am sure you hear from Kermit soon. He is the best contact in that area for service questions.

We maintain a list of owners that are willing to share their mileage and have several over the 75k mark for being here less than 3 years and a couple over 100K. So far this has not been a major issue; maintenance is the key with any car as well as one's personal driving habits.

Which smart model are you looking at? new or used?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I live in Mobile. I bought mine 3 years ago in Houston, had it serviced once in Birmingham before Jackson and N'Awlins opened up. I plan my next service in N'Awlins as soon as funds allow for the big stuff. I get oil changes done once a year at a local shop that has a drive-on lift. Poor local rednecks couldn't figure out where the hood release was, nor the engine... it was funny. I had to learn 'em. :)

Basic maintenance (oil, brakes, tires, etc) can be done by any mechanic. Very, very few people have repair issues requiring the dealer.

Do you ever come to the Mobile area?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's good to know! I asked my usual auto shop if they could take care of routine oil changes etc. They said they could but admitted that they had never serviced a Smart before. I might have to learn 'em too...after I figure it out myself ;-)

I don't get to Mobile often, except when I'm driving to Houston (which is rare these days). Thanks for your response!

·
Registered
34 Posts
The Pensacola Mercedes dealership can perform all routine maintenance, such as oil changes, air filters, and the like. Only Smart Centers, like New Orleans, Birmingham, Altanta, and Jacksonville can perform warranty work. My wife took her 2008 Blue/Silver Passion to Pensacola Mercedes for her 10,000 mile maintenance and they did a great job (and much cheaper than a Smart Center).

Vic
Emerald Coast Smart Car Club

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Hi there Kittylady. Sorry I missed your original post. Did you ever get a smart?

Like alpha said it can be serviced at the Mercedes dealer and they will only charge you one of your kitties. :) Also Bobby Likkus owns a smart so his shop services them. Warranty work will need to be done at a dealer. I have dealt with Tampa and they were great. B-Ham was ok. Never dealt with Nawleans. Orlando was fine. Jacksonville was OK.

I've got 65k on mine and I am about to sell my daughters (originally mine) that has 36k.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Hi FL Smarties!

I'm planning on buying my first Smart (Passion) within the next couple of months, and I have a question about service. I live in the panhandle near Pensacola, and there isn't a Smart dealership within 100 miles! So...

1) Does anyone have experience with the Smart dealership in Tampa? Would you recommend them?

2) Where I get warranty work done in the Pensacola area?

3) Where can I get regular oil changes etc?

4) How well do Smarts hold up over time? I'll be commuting about 80 miles a day to work.

Thanks in advance!

Mindi :sunshine:
Hi Mindi,
two cat men to the cat lady: I get my oil changed at a nice Valvoline Oil change facility, Unless I need warranty work done. Then I take it to a dealer.

Did you pick up a smart?
Kitty pictures? love to seem em.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Vic! We just bought my new Smart in Tampa...very exciting! Hope to meet you and the other Emerald Coast Smarties soon :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Kermit,

Yes, I just got a Smart from the Tampa Center! They were great. Thanks for the recommendation for service! Hopefully we'll get a Smart Center in P-cola soon ;-)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi BB Benz,

I asked my local car shop about servicing Smarts, and they said they could do it. But then they looked at me funny and asked why I wanted a Smart instead of a "real" car...so maybe I won't be taking my Smart to them after all ;-)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kermit,
I bought a Smart Cabrio Passion ForTwo (dark metallic grey) and it just recently had a wrench flash with a -2. It only has 3300 miles on it, so I know it is not the service due UNLESS you HAVE to service it every year (it is a year old) even if you do not have 10,000. Can you wait until it gets 10,000. that might take a couple years. Would the wait hurt since it does not have 10K? Also you mentioned something about a place to service it locally. I live in FWB and go to Pcola almost every day. Can you recommend a place for regular maintenance? If the Merc dealer in Pcola would do it, I am presumning the one in FWB would also. You mentioned Bobby Likkus. Where is his shop? Does/Can he install extras like tachs, clocks, cruise and fog lights or would that have to be handled at a dealer? I would like to meet with the other Smarties in the area. Is there a time and place to meet? I have a late model Jaguar also and enjoy the NWF Jag Club so it would be fun to get together with Smarties also.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Hi BB Benz,

I asked my local car shop about servicing Smarts, and they said they could do it. But then they looked at me funny and asked why I wanted a Smart instead of a "real" car...so maybe I won't be taking my Smart to them after all ;-)
I got the same kind of Question from the Benz Dealer / smart center MECHANIC!!!
My license plate frame proclaims Mercedes Itsy Bitsy Benz. He asked me why I didn't buy a Mercedes.
Well, If it had been made by Mercedes, I still would have bought it. As it were, it was made in a Smart Plant, designed by Mercedes Engineers. It's the next best thing. It has the plastic panels, the Japanese motor, paddle shifters and an automated manual transmission that can be driven in either mode and gets great gas mileage. It was not excess car like the Caddy I traded in. Two seats and a tailgated trunk is all I need. Perfect! What was he thinking? It's truly all I need.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts