Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
17,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've been surfing the net lately and a smart roadster just popped up in California. Of course most of us want a roadster in our garage but knowing that the car was never meant for here, is it too much of a hassle?

If one damages their body panels, they could be ordered from across the pond but how would one install them?

And are they servicable like other cars? Just order the parts and take them to get serviced at a shop or MB dealer?

These are the questions one should ask themselves before considering getting a grey-er market roadster.

So my choice is still fortwo for now :) but these would be nice facts to know before buying a car in a foreign land of the US of A. Because we all have a little roadster in us...

If you think you could do it, here's the link to the California roadster. Get it before it's gone!!
http://en.bhmotorcars.com/inventory.php?make=41

P.S. to anyone who might buy this car, the rear bumper valence is missing, I'd ask about it or order another one

·
Super Moderator
11,295 Posts
The motor is a Mercedes with the turbo. I'd guess that most MB dealers could get parts for it. I wouldn't get it as an every day car seeing as there are very few in the USA, more of a weekend and special event vehicle.

As for replacing panels, whats wrong wih doing it yourself?? but then I have rebuilt motors and complete cars in the garage before. Just take your time and watch the details.

·
Registered
673 Posts

·
17,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never thought about the 450 smart. I wouldn't own a roadster as a everyday vehicle either. A car soooo rare shouldn't be on the streets everyday...

My dream is to have a daily driver 451 and a roadster for special occasion.

At least I'm not asking for a lambo I guess... :)

But this will probably be years down the road, becoming a car collector... :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
lol i already had another thread w/ the same roadster. 20k is not cheap as id rather take my chances not being caught with the cops than having to pay 20k and still have no registration. And if i do happen to get by into getting one here in the US I would use it as a daily, not some trailer queen. Anyone up for some 4B11 swapping?!

·
17,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol i already had another thread w/ the same roadster. 20k is not cheap as id rather take my chances not being caught with the cops than having to pay 20k and still have no registration. And if i do happen to get by into getting one here in the US I would use it as a daily, not some trailer queen. Anyone up for some 4B11 swapping?!
It would be registered, as a kit car or as an import that has gotten in by a Military soldier or by other means.

A dealer wouldn't sell a car without a registration though.

So the car would be registered, but would YOU like to take chances with repairs?

I would, she's a beauty of a car... :)

·
17,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The story I heard was that it was converted to meet the USA specs, thus the high price tag.
It would have to be to meet not only state standards (I'm staring at you, strict California) but federal standards. The mods just jack up the price, just like with the imported 450s.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Just to answer a few of your questions as a roadster owner.
The engine is a Mercedes Suprex 700cc turbo engine, to do an oil change the oil has to be sucked out as there is no drain plug, and it is easier to take the whole of the back end off the car to do a plug change as 3 plugs are on the top and 3 on the botton as it has 2 plugs per cylinder and the bottom ones are a pig to get to unless you take the back off, but subsoquently it means that a lot of the backs get damaged if you don't know what you are doing, I presume that is why a bit of the back is missing on this roadster, the parts are easy to get hold of at smart parts direct, and they bolt on and off the same as the for2's, but there are a few small plastic clips at the bottom that always snap as you pull them off and you have to order loads of extras clips, just in case.
If I can answer any more questions for you let me know.
Ellis

·
Super Moderator
11,295 Posts
ah, send me a roadster with a 2008-2009 fortwo serial plate on it. That way customs won't hassle me.... They probably won't know the difference. (just joking)

·
Banned
5,087 Posts
Hey 'neon'....got your car yet? You got some catchin' up to do: with the smart, I'm at a total of 50+ cars in my lifetime. Maybe I should list them on the 'Random Thread'? :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Regarding servicing a Roadster in USA
here in UK there are forums and sites which will take you through just about everything you might want to do with a Roadster and there is a wealth of experience. FQ101 and Evilution are good sites to go to

Body parts are easy to fit unless you count the headlamp cowls which require a high degree of faith that they will not break

The Roadster net is also a great single model site with loads of info.

We will always help if you are stuck with anything.

By the way, the bottom plugs are a disaster! They are a pig to remove and need a special tool and a new set of knuckles.

Many people over here in UK are fitting oil catch tanks to save crap getting into the system.

Nice to see there are some Roadsters over the pond:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts