Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In anticipation of attending what may be the final OTD event in North Carolina, I have planned a longer roughly 15k km trip to see some of the US coastal States and some of Canada.

I am going to pass through NY, NJ, PA, VA, TN, NC, SC, GA, FL, AL, LA, TX, NM, AZ, CA, OR, WA, BC, AB, SK, MB, ON. Hopefully I did not forget anyone.

I will post a complete list of the cities I plan to stop in. Redbank NJ Aug 15-16. Knoxville TN Aug 17-18, Robbinsville NC Aug 18, 21. I will be catching a ball game in Dalla TX on August 25. Go Indians!

I am going to take as many photos of smart and I as possible along the way.

I will have my dash cam on and plan to save most of the driving footage to post later to YouTube.

I will have my STAR system with me, for my own use if needed and if there are other owners out there that may need it, send me a PM.

I am hopeful that I will have a chance to meet owners in many of the States and Provinces I am about to visit.

More info to come.

Come meet Huronlad in the flesh.

·
Super Moderator
28,957 Posts
The first four or five days will be epic. After that, the miles start to take their toll - maybe not so much for the younger guys. :)

And yeah, just totally avoid the Midwest - we get it.....:D

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
The 451 is prepped to go. The 450 is not currently running and does not having working AC.
Sorry to hear about the 450. I really liked it the year I went to TOTD. The killer mileage would be great.

I had a guy I know recently took his own grand adventure. But he was a little more daring. I belong to the Shelby Dodge club, we had a 5 day get together in Memphis, TN back in June. He flew from Chicago to there, then drove another guys car(1986 Dodge Omni GLH) to California to deliver it. Picked up a 1987 Shelby Lancer he bought sight unseen, then proceeded to drive it from there to Alaska and back to Chicago!!!! Interesting trip, and he posted lots of pictures.

I hope you have as much fun, and have as trouble free trip as he had. Looking forward to seeing your adventure!!!!

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you.

I will have a bit of time Friday afternoon to see if I can get the 450's fuel pump running and get her to run.

I would have to stop 3 or 4 times to change the oil in the cdi if I were to take it. Plan to service the 451 in BC just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Planned stops update.

Aug 15 Edison, NJ

Aug 16 Jay and Silent Bob's Secret Stash
Roanoke, VA

Aug 17 Virginia Museum of Transportation
Knoxville, TN

Aug 18 smart Center Knoxville
Fontana Dam Village Resort
Robbinsville, NC
OTD VIII

Aug 21 Charleston, SC
Jacksonville, FL

Aug 22 New Orleans, LA

Aug 23 New Orleans, LA

Aug 24 Houston, TX
Space Center Houston

Aug 25 Dick’s Classic Garage Car Museum San Marcos, Texas
Dallas, TX
Indians vs Rangers, Go Indians!

Aug 26 Las Cruces, NM

Aug 27 El Centro, CA

Aug 28 - 30 L.A., CA

Aug 31 Willits, CA

Sept 1 - Eugene. OR

Sept 2 - Centralia, WA

Sept 3-6 - Nanaimo, BC

·
Super Moderator
28,957 Posts
Is the VA Museum of Transportation really in TN?

Just kidding.

Made this a sticky for the duration of the trip. As you post more details of your scheduled stops, hopefully SCoA members can chime in with recommend places to go and things to see along the way.

I'll kick it off with Middendorf's Restaurant in Manchac, Louisiana: Middendorf's Restaurant | Seafood and Thin Fried Catfish | Manchac, LA for some excellent seafood. Exit 15 on I-55. :)

·
Super Moderator
28,957 Posts
Couple more for Louisiana: in New Orleans, a mandatory stop for coffee & beignets at the Cafe du Monde next to the river.

In New Iberia off of Highway 90, Victor's Cafeteria on E. Main St. (a fictional version is featured in James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux novels.)

Near New Iberia (take Hwy 329) is Avery Island, the source of all things Tabasco - worth a visit. :)

·
Super Moderator
28,957 Posts
Try the Acme Oyster House for red beans and rice, gumbo and oysters. :)

724 Iberville St
New Orleans, LA 70130

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Too hot for this Canadian to be outside for long. Made it down to the French Section for about an hour. Going to check out the A/C at the WWII museum.
Jazz planned for the evening.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts