Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm sure you have run across my cabriolet problem thread. I'm looking at three options now for making this a do-it-yourself option and I am requesting some input.

1. Buy the $18/day smart Tekinfo official repair and servicing manual.

The advantages of this would be that it will provide me with the information that I need and it's straight from the OEM, not a third party setup. The downfalls of this is that it's a little expensive for a one day deal and I'd want to print as much of the manual as I can and I don't have colored ink, nor do I know if any of the information in this setup is colored.

2. Buy this eBay CD

The advantages of this would be that it's a one-time purchase and it lists that it's compatible for my 2008 smart. The downside is that I have no idea how it's setup, the GUI, the information provided, the language, and the P/N (are they different since this is a European book?).

3. Look around.

I know people with Alldata access that might be able to help me out, but I'm not sure which Alldata they have nor do I know if they have to purchase an upgrade kit for their Alldata to include smart information so I could be wasting my time. I could contact my service advisor and see if I can take the repair information that he has straight from the service network.

What do you guys think would be my best option? Thank you in advance!

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,701 Posts
I am requesting some input.

Buy this eBay CD

The advantages of this would be that it's a one-time purchase and it lists that it's compatible for my 2008 smart. The downside is that I have no idea how it's setup, the GUI, the information provided, the language, and the P/N (are they different since this is a European book?).

What do you guys think would be my best option? Thank you in advance!
No real opinion just my observation and some fleaBay feedback.

As it is from the UK, I'd expect the language to be English. P/N's would probably be Euro but if common, convert easily. While most buyers seem satisfied, comments include; I find it useful although a little dated, this is homemade not the orginal manual, almost as advertised.

Probably worth $17 but since it is Euro and covers 1998 - 2010 I'd expect it to be 450 based with little 451 information?

·
Super Moderator
28,775 Posts
What MB said. The CD on eBay is not a manual, just a collection of items off the Internet (some from Evilution I believe :eek:) and in no way is a "shop manual."

If you want the by-the-book procedures to address your cabrio top issue I think you're going to need Option 1. :)

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are there colored pictures in option 1? I have access to a high-speed unlimited printer, but it's in black and white only.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you MB DNA! I've had that manual saved for awhile in my browser and on my computer.

They do mention the two motors (one of which is giving me trouble) once in that manual, but I guess I'll have to pony up and spend $20 on a day's worth of info from the online manual. I wish I knew if there were colored pictures or not.

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
It's out of commission at this time:
smart TekInfo

We are experiencing some technical difficulties at this time. Please try again later.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
But you may want to ask them when they're back online... :)

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you JPaul for that information before I plopped down my credit card for a one day purchase. I submitted a contact request form. I'll post back when they get back to me on this issue. This will give me time to call around and look for information.

When did you experience this issue? Do you have an account with them and tried to log in?

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate your help greatly in finding contact information! :) I have not run into this issue yet. Maybe it was a weird glitch or they took a server offline really quick to apply an update. I could use this contact info to ask about colored pictures. :D

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nonetheless, I'm going to see if the high-speed printer has colored ink and if it does, I'll buy the manual on the spot there and then spend the next 35 minutes printing as much information as possible. If it can't print colored ink, then this message will be ignored. I'll report on that shortly.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I purchased the WIS/EPC manuals on DVD from this seller on ebay.
MERCEDES WIS & EPC DVD WORKSHOP & PARTS SYSTEM 05/2012 | eBay
I have it running on a Windows 7 machine. It must be run from Internet Explorer. It is somewhat tedious to install and one must follow the instructions accurately. Once you notify him you have received the discs he will send you a link to download the instructions. If there are any problems he will help you. One of the discs he sent me was defective and when I contacted him he provided a link to download the archive to burn another disc. Great support. But, you must follow the instructions. Exactly.

It can be tricky to navigate at first. Illustrations in the workshop manual are black and white. Illustrations in the parts manual are line drawings. The discs include a price list that can be extracted but I have not done so.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
...111...be aware that the time you fork over your hard earn $$$ is not the time you actually get to "see" the goods...they will contact you with some kind of pass word for you to start "looking"...in my case this info came in in the very early hours of the morning..by the time I got to check my mail after work my clock was already running for about 16 hrs of my 24 hr paid period.....

jetfuel...figured you'll like to know...

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thank you all for your input. I do have a plan that I am going to attempt to implement after I pay for the $18 for the 1 day feature. I will report back if it works. If I do, then my computer tech skills are working just fine. :wink:

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
I went the Alldata route and it has worked well for me when I replaced the enging cooling fan (radiator) and has also worked on the other cars I own and paid for. The price is much better than $18 per day, easier to navigate then the MB online system which I also tried. It took me some time to get it figured out.

Just took a look and there was info on labor times but nothing on repair procedures for the convertible top.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you James for your input. Last night, I paid the $18 and promptly received an email with my log in code. Jet, maybe they changed it, but once I paid, I was able to access the information immediately just by clicking continue after the third step.

Since I haven't seen any reviews on this system, I'll do a mini review of their service.

First, like noted everywhere in this thread, it's very expensive for one day's worth of information, but for some people, this information is invaluable. It is very tricky to navigate and there are tons of abbreviations that I have no idea what they mean, but you need to keep clicking around until you get an idea of what's going on. Eventually, with much frustration and confusion, you should end up where you wanted to be. It's nothing like an Alldata which I have used at my old shop, that's for sure!

Unfortunately, my computer tech skills have failed because in order to view the parts booklet or the repair information, you have to download different Java programs to run them. It's not a HTML-based service for the repair work and the parts catalog. Rather, it's a Java download program that uses a HTML server for it's information and therefore, cannot be viewed offline.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,701 Posts
I paid the $18 and promptly received an email with my log in code.

Since I haven't seen any reviews on this system, I'll do a mini review of their service.
Was it worth $18 per day and were you able to print the information that you were in search of?

I'm guessing that the 24 hour meter is still running so how did you find time to post to SCoA? :wink:

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
MB DNA, I'm unsure at this point if it was worth the $18. The information my service advisor provided to me was the same information that I found using the OEM service. Looking at the part breakdowns (which I'll post pictures of and maybe a video review later), you need to buy the motor and gears inside the internal plastic case attached to the motor as one unit like Butch told me would probably be the case. They do provide color pictures and instructions for removal and reassembly, but in a few steps, they are very plain like I think the 5th step into the procedure is "install." Really....

As for the 24 hour period, I purchased it at around 1:15am, tried to find what I needed for 45 minutes and then looked around for the next 30 minutes. Then, I went to sleep until 8:15am and now I'm at work until 3. I won't get a chance to use it again until I only have a few hours left on it.

I wish it was HTML based. :wink:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts