Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever done this with this car? I work in LA but have family in San Francisco. I know that the Tesla charging stations are all along I-5, but how long does it take with the charging. Wondering which route you guys take and what the drive is like.

·
Super Moderator
29,385 Posts
FWIW, the smart ED cannot use the Tesla Supercharger stations. I'm sure the ED owners will weigh in, but with a range of about 70 miles (on a good day) and overnight charging needed to get the battery "filled up" it's going to be a lengthy journey.... :)

·
Super Moderator
1,854 Posts
Absolutely a long journey!! Figure on 60 to 70 miles and then 4 or 5 hours of charging - rinse and repeat. I made a 3 hour ICE drive to my Smart dealer in about 11 hours in the electric.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 20,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 17,500 miles

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,096 Posts
Has anyone ever done this with this car? I work in LA but have family in San Francisco. I know that the Tesla charging stations are all along I-5, but how long does it take with the charging. Wondering which route you guys take and what the drive is like.
While I have made this trip literally 100's of times I would NEVER consider it in a smart ED! Kinda like a one legged man entering a butt kicking contest . . .

This 6 hr 390 mi trip would take DAYS and 8 or more charge cycles! The Tejon Pass at 4,160′ is pretty much a show stopper for your charge, rinse and repeat adventure! Then after conquering Tejon you have miles of desolate farm land with few Level 2 charging opportunities where Tesla Superchargers are not your friend. Would require precise planning and lots of down time for charging.

My advice - rent an ICE vehicle.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,113 Posts
It is what it is - a short range electric commuter. Don't try to use it for something it's not unless you're into self abuse.

If you are into self abuse and knowing you can't use the Tesla Superchargers, I know some non Tesla EV owners that carry a Tesla to J1772 adapter so that they can use Tesla destination L2 chargers which generally offer more power than other L2 EVSEs and may be available when a J1772 isn't. Still, I wouldn't attempt such a journey in any of the short range EVs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts