Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car sat outside for months at a time - not driven. 2009 SMART Pure 32,000 miles Does not shake at idle or low speed. Shaking begins at 50mph, violently shakes 55-65 mph. shaking slows down >65mph

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Sounds like a tire out of balance or a ply separation on a tire. Next would be to check brakes and wheel bearings but they usually vibrate earlier than 55 mph same with front end suspension parts.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Sounds like a tire out of balance or a ply separation on a tire. Next would be to check brakes and wheel bearings but they usually vibrate earlier than 55 mph same with front end suspension parts.
I second this theory. Ply separation can cause a tire to become "out of round" causing vibration and/or pulling to the side. Flat spots happen on modern tires but usually round out once the tire warms up. In the old days, nylon ply tires were notorious for flat spots. Sometimes you can feel the ply separation with your hand.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
rims on smart are easily damaged by hitting potholes or imperfections on the street or curbs and also can cause them to be out of balance.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
This may sound extremely foolish and I only mention it because it happened on my Land Rover I decided to increases the air pressure on my tires because I put wider tires on it and when the pressure got low, they would rub against the plastic inner fender corners. Stock air pressure is supposed to be 32 front, 38 rear. Why the difference on an AWD truck I don't know.... I increased to 44 which is labeled on the sidewall thinking I would get a few more miles out of them At exactly 58 MPH I would get a pretty good vibration when the roadway would veer to the right. If I let up on the throttle, it would go away, If I was above 65, it wouldn't happen. I went through the whole front end, new bearings, new CV joints, Tie rod ends, shocks, pivot bearings, etc. there are a LOT of bearings in there!! I then took it down and had the tires and rims re-balanced for the 3rd time and was told they were off . Still same trouble. It finally occurred to me that the whole thing started acting up when I increased the Tire pressure. I dropped it back down to 34 front and rear and it has never ridden so well ever! No doubt being a 20 year old truck it needed some of those parts I replaced but the major issue was the tire pressure. I did end up trimming the inner plastic so it doesn't rub on hard turns. Amazingly enough, I don't think the place I got the tires from, and balanced multiple times ever checked the pressure. Looking for a new tire dealer now...

When I first got my smart, the TPMS light would come on and off all the time until I got a digital tire gauge and then I could set the air pressure exactly. Never had the light go on unless I lost some air pressure (seasonally)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts