Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week ago I felt like doing something so I plastidipped my mirror covers red. I felt it needed a little more.. I saw the new sharpred edition a bit ago and decided to try my hand at it.

Here's with just the mirrors:

Here are the results:

(midway through taping off)

Had an issue with the passenger side red not wanting to blend and just striping, so might have to redo it (if I care enough, you can't notice from anymore than a few feet away).

Also, the front grille will either become black or red just didn't have time to mask it all off last night.

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Nice job. Good you're going to do the front grille too. I was going to mention it since it doesn't blend with the mirrors at this stage. :bigthumbup:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice job. Good you're going to do the front grille too. I was going to mention it since it doesn't blend with the mirrors at this stage. :bigthumbup:
Yes, I was just so tired by the end of it all, I got home around 3am. Figured grille can wait, I remember it took a little while to tape it off last time.

I'll also probably debadge it too :p

·
17,473 Posts
Is ALL of that Plasti-Dip???? That looks awesome!

Did you use the rattlecans or the "pro" kit??? This might be worth me buying a jack so I could actually do my wheels better!

P.S. I had to remove my Plasti-Dip (PIA on the wheels) because some tire shine overspray got on the Plasti-Dip material and almost literally melted it. Be careful with care!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I like your spray shield for the wheels. Looks like your working with a full deck.:D (pun intended)
When I did my rims I didn't use anything. Just sprayed right on the rim/tire and because of that gap between the tire and rim lip, it peeled off the tire portion easily. I did tape off the inside of the rims so as to have/keep a delineation which allowed me to be able to peel off the Plasti-Dip off the Face while keeping the inside portion protected.

Is ALL of that Plasti-Dip???? That looks awesome!

Did you use the rattlecans or the "pro" kit??? This might be worth me buying a jack so I could actually do my wheels better!

P.S. I had to remove my Plasti-Dip (PIA on the wheels) because some tire shine overspray got on the Plasti-Dip material and almost literally melted it. Be careful with care!
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET ! Nice job . Looks killer !

What did you use to paint your rims ? Spray cans ?

You can get the Rattle Can in these colors

Black
White
Red
Camo Brown
Camo Tan
Camo Green
Gun Metal
Blaze Orange
Blaze Blue

There are other Blaze Colors coming I believe as well. You can also get

Clear
Smoke
Metalizers Silver/Gold

All in Spray Can. If you have good technique, patience, prep right & use proper coverage layer amounts it will come out pretty good.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys thanks for the comments. The red is plastidip, the black on the wheels is also plastidip.

-jess

·
aka 'Red-Devil'
276 Posts
Is the Red close enough to the 2009 Red to work on the rockers and the front and rear lower panels (on a Red car)? I bought some Red, Black and Clear, but haven't had time to try it. You've got me thinking about the mirrors and gas door too. I've switched back to my stock sized Black powder coated wheels, but I plan to Plasti-dip my extra set of 4 rears in Red or a combo Red/Black. Your success give me motivation, thanks for sharing.

·
17,473 Posts
How would one tape off areas to be sprayed? When I sprayed my rims I used dollar store painting tape and the Plasti-Dip stuck to the tape, even after three more layers.

When I peeled the tape the rest tried to follow suit, bleh.

I already ordered a can of blaze blue for my interior pieces. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just realized I didn't fully answer people's questions. All of the paint was rattle can Plastidip.

Unsure on the red matching the OEM red. It looks to me to be a tad bit darker than a bright red. More blood red. Depends on the lighting. I'll get some good outdoor daytime pictures soon :)

As far as taping off... all I've done before this was emblems. I tape off a square area around the emblem and plastidip it all. Once it dries I peel the plastidip on the paint off. Wherever there is a 90* edge it will split itself (around the emblem). If you use masking tape to make a hard line, it probably won't work unless you cut the plastidip with a razor (I had to do that in the door jambs and it isn't a 100% nice finish).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Reminds me of the "A Team" van. All it needs is a little person dressed up like Mr. T.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
17,473 Posts
Ah, I wondered how people painted their emblems...

How did you jack up the car? The front stands appear to be nowhere close to the jacking points!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Very carefully. I'll never put 4 wheels in the air again. Can't see s#it with the undertray running under there. Big jack stands on the flat parts of the control arms, not ideal by any means. Knowing no one would be under it working I figured if the control arms could support it without deforming for a short period of time it would be ok. And they did. But like I said, next time I'll do a side at a time if I have to.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts