Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2012 451 Passion with the kind of shifter in the picture. Does anybody knows if it is safe for my transmission to move the shift stick from any gear in Auto mode or Manual mode to Neutral while the car is moving? And viceversa, from Neutral to gear position while the car is moving?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm asking here becouse the owners manual shows a different shift stick with P and D. Mine is different. And the owners manual only have information about changing from Neutral to Reverse, but nothing about my question.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I don't see a problem with it. Put it in gear, accelerate, pop the lever over to the right "N" and coast. Go back to the left and see what the instrument cluster says. You still have an automated-manual transmission, without the full auto mode.

I own a 2012 451 Passion with the kind of shifter in the picture. Does anybody knows if it is safe for my transmission to move the shift stick from any gear in Auto mode or Manual mode to Neutral while the car is moving? And viceversa, from Neutral to gear position while the car is moving?

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I'm asking here becouse the owners manual shows a different shift stick with P and D. Mine is different. And the owners manual only have information about changing from Neutral to Reverse, but nothing about my question.
That's because your model just requires to you to shift up and down every gear. As a courtesy, if the driver isn't shifting up (at redline) then the car will eventually do it for you, and same goes for downshifts. But yes, you should be fine doing what you want.

The P and D versions are the full auto modes that are programmed to change gears based on foot pedal or throttle position, vehicle speed, and whether the vehicle is traveling up or down hills. Your version requires an upshift or downshift based on driver preferences, and the transmission is programmed to wait for your inputs (within a predetermined reasonable set of parameters).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't see a problem with it. Put it in gear, accelerate, pop the lever over to the right "N" and coast. Go back to the left and see what the instrument cluster says. You still have an automated-manual transmission, without the full auto mode.
I've done it, and it works as it should, but I dont know if its safe for the transmission when going back into gear. This is such a weak transmission and I'm afraid to damage it.

I live in a place with hills and it se very confortable to drive in Neutral whenever I can.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
You should have no worry. Don't be mislead, the transmission isn't weak, it is robust. Just has it's own shifting peculiarities.

·
Banned
844 Posts
if you had a SGII or Ultra-Gauge you'd see that if you coast in gear, the fuel cuts off, you take it out of gear, the fuel flows at "idle" rate, coasting in gear will read top/max mpg, coasting in neutral will read 200-300mpg depending on speed. this is with my '08 451. learning from my "hyper-mileing" experience. before i got my SGII, i used to pop it in neutral and coast, i didn't know the ECU cut off fuel flow when coasting in gear until i got the gauge. besides it's safer to keep the car in gear, just in case you have to mash the go-pedal in an emergency.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if you had a SGII or Ultra-Gauge you'd see that if you coast in gear, the fuel cuts off, you take it out of gear, the fuel flows at "idle" rate, coasting in gear will read top/max mpg, coasting in neutral will read 200-300mpg depending on speed. this is with my '08 451. learning from my "hyper-mileing" experience. before i got my SGII, i used to pop it in neutral and coast, i didn't know the ECU cut off fuel flow when coasting in gear until i got the gauge. besides it's safer to keep the car in gear, just in case you have to mash the go-pedal in an emergency.
Thats great info, but I'm not doing it to achieve better MPG. I like to coast in Neutral becouse when in gear, the speed will increase along with RPMs (RPMs will increase very quickly) until the high revs will act as a brake and it wont shift up until I hit the gas. With that resistance my speed decreases until coasting makes no sense.

My real concern here is if I can damage my transmision after shifting back info gear from neutral. With all those moving parts free spinning and then me forcing them info gear I'm afraid to break something.

How it feels:

Coasting in neutral = Smooth, quiet, confortable

Coasting in gear = High revs, noisy revs, speed loss, constant braking feeling

·
17,478 Posts
They actually have the soft touch option, there's a little button on the left of the shifter to engage full auto mode. It's the same transmission our US 451s have, but with a different shifter. :)

I actually do this a lot in the 451. I'd say the biggest thing to do is make sure that when you engage gear again, the computer doesn't choose a too low of a gear. Usually as soon as I put it back into gear, I immediately have it shift up. Nice and smooth transitions...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts