Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Dont Feed The Trolls ^Mod
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Long time, no see. Been busy on my "good days" getting ready for our move to Washington. In the mean time, I have a mod and a maintenance question. The maintenance question: My shifter leather is coming UNRAVELED! The sewing is coming out and needs replacement. Anyone know if I can order a new after market one that wont come undone so easily? If not, anyone order one from smart and how much? Thanks! Now to the mods area.

·
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mines been replaced once already under warranty. But R2D2 is almost 3 years old. Warranty is long gone. :D

·
Super Moderator
17,543 Posts
Smart Madness has ones of all types...My favorite is the 8 Ball (a real 8 Ball at that) shifter...

Product List

·
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Smart Madness has ones of all types...My favorite is the 8 Ball (a real 8 Ball at that) shifter...

Product List
All that came up when I searched for "shifter" was the $200 shifter knob from Brabus.
T_T

Edit: "Knob" came back with some others, still expensive. No 8 ball, but I would rather a stock one if I cant get an R2D2 dome. :D

·
Super Moderator
17,543 Posts

·
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I just posted to SM's FaceBook about the 8 Ball...It was on there a few months ago (and it's on my wishlist) and was the cheapest (and coolest IMHO) of the bunch.
Well, if it was cheap enough, I might be able to get someone to paint it for me. IDK. Would be nice if the threading on the leather didnt come off so easily.

Maybe I can rig something like this:

but I have more research to do.

Or this so my leg doesnt rub against it:

·
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,543 Posts
From the looks of it, that thing belongs in a true manual car. I doubt any "universal" shifter would fit in a smart, especially since there's a button you have to press to get it to move...

But looking at the seller's feedback it may be legit...But the fact he used "forfour" in the title line is a dead giveaway. The forfour either had a standard Automatic or a Manual...

·
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I WAS looking for a smart shifter. :D But all I really need the a HEAD that fits, and works with the button and all, not the entire shifter. The stick is fine, its the head that has the leather that is falling off.

·
Super Moderator
17,543 Posts
Well I guess if you're good with hacking things apart and re-purposing them, I guess the little bugger could fit!

Or you could just buy an 8 Ball and break out the drill :D

·
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I guess if you're good with hacking things apart and re-purposing them, I guess the little bugger could fit!

Or you could just buy an 8 Ball and break out the drill :D
If its just the head, it should work. As long as it fits! Thats why Im asking if anyone knows if a Euro smart head would work.

·
Registered
817 Posts
What exactly IS a "bespoke gear shift knob" why is it different than a knob that isnt a reverse pull thingy?
It's a knob made for our market. The "euro" spec tranny doesn't have a Park like an automatic. To use "manual" you don't press the button on the side of
the shift knob. Functions like the old 450 six speed except it's five.

·
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
COOL! That means this knob will work! WOOHOO!

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts