Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I posted this in technical stickies, but thought this a good place also....
I recently purchased an 09 451 Smart for two, with 84K miles. This is my second Smart, and its a hoot to drive.
Although I am having a few issues with the transmission, the car does run and drive well.
I have had code P0805, with associated no shift into gear issue. But it always resets after a few minutes, and after a quick cycle thru the gears with brake on and engine off, all is well again.

I have done the clutch actuator cleaning and lubing with white lithium grease, easy enough.

But the code keeps popping up. Last time it would not shift out of gear when I was stopping, and it came to a jerky stop. I used the yellow shift lever release at the bottom of the shifter, and that got the car out of gear, and then it was back to normal.
So, now I want to remove the gear shift motors for cleaning, and have a couple of questions.....
When re-installing, are there any marks to line up, or just simply mate and bolt it up. I have seen a post that said there are marks on the gears, do they need to be lined up?

The air box is a pain to remove, so... can I simply replace it with a proper size rubber hose? Are there after market replacements that are easier to install?

I have also installed the 2.5 mm washers on the rear axle to eliminate the negative wheel camber... looks much nicer and handles better!

when I get this all sorted out, I want to look at the convertible top... it seems to rattle a bit when driving.
Thanks everyone for your advice....
dave

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
wow. i just bot a 2009 and now i know what is in store for me in the yrs ahead. i want to put all same size tires all the way around. i did it on my slk and it really helped save tire wear and stablized it. can i do same with smart. hope so.

·
Registered
88 Posts
COOL....that is what i did with the slk and it worked out well. being mbz product, smarts have the same set up, but, a smart is a bit more wobbly on the freeway or in the wind....so when these wear out i can just put rear tire size all the way around, iwthout a rim change. right? on the mbz slk 230, before i did the same size all the way around, i was lucky to get 25k miles on a set of radials that were suppose to last 50k or more, brand name. when i switched ....i never changed tires again, cept for a flat i remember lol. the smart i got, the 2009 only had 12000 miles when i got it in feb and now is up to 15k+....so i might have to go awhile. do the different sizes wear out like the slk, fast?

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,854 Posts
You would be better of if you can find a set of rear wheels to put on the front. On the 2009 smart the front wheels were 4.5 inches wide and the rear wheels were 5.5 inches wide. The larger rear tires would offer better wear and performance on the wider rear wheels. As an example, I have 7.5x17 Brabus wheels on all four corners of my car with 215/35-17 tires. The rears were stock on my Brabus and I bought a new set of tires and rear wheels to put on the front. Great results. I have been running four square for nine of the ten years I have owned the car.

·
Registered
88 Posts
can i put the front smart small wheels all the way around to avoid finding new wheels ? i prefer rear wides all the way around but, finding a pair of rims , no. now i want your barabas wheels. stock are 15in yours are wider and 17 in. does that affect anything like the speedometer odometer? used to in the old days with cable speedo i know.

now im wondering if the slk230's were skinnier wheels on the front too? i put the bigger wheels all the way around on it and it performed extra fine. they didnt wear out at 25k miles, i got at least 50k or more. like advertised. they also made the car look better being larger all the way around. i love the smart with only 12k miles. the engine light does come on now and then, when i get gas. the cap. when i break my sequence in starting the car, putting on seat belts. sometimes the seat belt ding ding ding, never stops, till i turn it off and let it sit. the engine reset will come on . then in a few hours go off. strange electronics. the slk got weird and i changed out the computer and all was well. mbz is strange

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,854 Posts
The rim diameter does not effect the speedometer. It is the overall tire diameter that can effect the speedo. The tires I put on the front are within about 2% of the stock diameter tire and does not cause any problems with the electronic nannies. So far, so good. I would not suggest putting the 4.5 inch front wheels on the rear of your car. You can try Smart Madness for some stock take off wheels. They sell a lot of after market wheels and often have some take offs at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i was thinking of putting the small tires (like the front has) all the way around. i put the rear size tires on the front of the slk230 and never noticed anything bad. i had heard the same thing that they were more narrow than the rear wheels. you put the fear of god into me by repeating what i did with the slk to the smart. back then, i left it up to the tire seller and they said ''no problem'' after checking all. they were more concerned about the electronics of the car rejecting the change and setting off alarms. didnt happen. that was a 1999 slk. this a 2009 smart. more advanced? hmmmmmmmmmmm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts