Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 08 Passion has 22K miles. Doin fine until just recently & occasionally it does not want to go into Reverse & sometimes Drive. Need to see a dealer?
Help!

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
My 08 Passion has 22K miles. Doin fine until just recently & occasionally it does not want to go into Reverse & sometimes Drive. Need to see a dealer?
Help!
Have you had it in for any of the computer updates? This is a fairly common issue on 08's. You need to take it in for the TCU updates.

·
Super Moderator
11,216 Posts
Sounds like it may have never gotten the trans software update.

When you pull on the shifter paddle does it go into manual mode? That was a part of the update. If not, talk to a dealer. Many of them will do it for free or a minimal charged

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been doing service work myself, ie tires, oil, etc. Have had NO issues. Not been to a dealer for any updates. You're telling me to go!!?? Closest dealer is 55 miles, awww what's a gallon of gas!

·
Super Moderator
11,216 Posts
You might want to call them first and be sure they can help you out. especially driving that many miles, hate to make a trip for nothing.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
That latest update does improve auto mode manners in addition to solving the problem of not going into reverse. It is a good thing.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Remember, you are going to get a UPDATE for you TSU. That's it! Be ready for them to throw a low compression diagnosis at you just for kicks and giggles. :giggle:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I turned off the car, and when I went to start it again it wouldn't go in R or D, I shut it off, and then it wouldn't start, kept trying, nothing, called up smart, the number that's listed on the visor, talked to them, waited maybe 5-10 and it started and went in gear, it never did it again until this yr in jan, then all these other things, starter went out, the not in gear more than usual, they said it had to do with the clutch, they replaced it, was still doing it, replaced it again no charge, and it still does it, but not as much, im afraid to go back to be charged more, maybe a diff dealer next time, they checked the updates and it wasn't that

·
Registered
274 Posts
how wound one knows when to do the software update?
back in early 09 they put out a campaign where all of us 08 owners went into the dealers and got the 2.0 upgrade. Since that day, service centers have disavowed any knowledge that there was ever an issue with the TCU programming.... even though the current programming is somewhere above version 7.2 (This is what was loaded in my old smart back in 2011).

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
how wound one knows when to do the software update?
You really don't know. MB/smart isn't exactly vocal about software updates. Usually it's folks posting on here that they got one when in for service.
Update was for the 2008 and early 2009 cars.
That was the original 2.0 updated. I believe there have been at least two or three since then. I had the 2.0 done, but haven't had any issues since, and haven't been back to the dealer since. I flipped over 158K on the way to work this morning,:D I figure if any software glitches were going to surface, they would have done it by now...:)

·
Registered
488 Posts
I don't think it has anything to do with transmission update 2.0. Smarts with that update do the same thing, it's not an uncommon problem. I imagine the answer is in this forum somewhere.

You'll know if they did the transmission update based on how your paddle shifters are working, i.e. if you can hold the right paddle shifter down and it automatically goes into drive. I forget the other ways you can tell, it's been so long.

If memory serves me, I remember reading a thread and I believe it's something electronic in the shifter that they replace, but it's been so long. Hope that helps.

I am interested in this talk of other updates, is there a transmission update past 2.0, if so, any links to that.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Mine came with 2.0, but had the update done that cures the not going into reverse issue, what I used to call 2.03. I liked the improvements in shift points.It is not as prone to shift up into fifth gear asap at 30 mph as it used to.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
72 Posts
There is a thread somewhere that goes into the clutch actuator being jammed up from old grease. This makes sense here, because a new clutch disc will inot help the shift in reverse problem if your clutch can't engage and dis- engage. I have this same problem of an intermittent failure to shift into R after my smart sits for too long. After I fiddle with the shift, eventually it operates fine, and as long as the car gets used, it doesn't fail to shift.
I have a 2009 Brabus. It's had that update, of the TCM AT THE DEALER IN 2010 I think.
Since then I have had DP TUNE re flash my ECU, AND TCM. No problems with that, and now after a couple years this failure to shift came around. So, at my 40 K service, after reading those old threads, when I went into MB smart Houston north, I told them about my problem, and they said this is a common problem, and re flashing the TCM FIXES IT. Well, I hired the dealership to just take my actuator apart and just grease it, and NOT TO REFLASH my TCM.
They did this and I will let everyone know how it worked. I have a strong opinion it will help, just because of that thread about a crusty actuator, and how it works.
Maybe someone can add the link to this thread here.
Hope this helps, MB Houston was all about that TCM update. I love the DP TUNE update, and it didn't cause any problems before, and the weak link has to be putting the clutch IN before the shift, and it wouldn't shift in gear on a manual tranny car, if you didn't depress the clutch pedal, so why would a smart shift into gear if the clutch WAS engaged??
Get your actuator disassembled and greased, like I did, and see if that helps. This is preventive maintenance and they charged me $149 for this service. If you don't have yhe update,get it done, AND have them grease the clutch actuator as well.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
There is a thread somewhere that goes into the clutch actuator being jammed up from old grease. This makes sense here, because a new clutch disc will inot help the shift in reverse problem if your clutch can't engage and dis- engage. I have this same problem of an intermittent failure to shift into R after my smart sits for too long. After I fiddle with the shift, eventually it operates fine, and as long as the car gets used, it doesn't fail to shift.
I have a 2009 Brabus. It's had that update, of the TCM AT THE DEALER IN 2010 I think.
Since then I have had DP TUNE re flash my ECU, AND TCM. No problems with that, and now after a couple years this failure to shift came around. So, at my 40 K service, after reading those old threads, when I went into MB smart Houston north, I told them about my problem, and they said this is a common problem, and re flashing the TCM FIXES IT. Well, I hired the dealership to just take my actuator apart and just grease it, and NOT TO REFLASH my TCM.
They did this and I will let everyone know how it worked. I have a strong opinion it will help, just because of that thread about a crusty actuator, and how it works.
Maybe someone can add the link to this thread here.
Hope this helps, MB Houston was all about that TCM update. I love the DP TUNE update, and it didn't cause any problems before, and the weak link has to be putting the clutch IN before the shift, and it wouldn't shift in gear on a manual tranny car, if you didn't depress the clutch pedal, so why would a smart shift into gear if the clutch WAS engaged??
Get your actuator disassembled and greased, like I did, and see if that helps. This is preventive maintenance and they charged me $149 for this service. If you don't have yhe update,get it done, AND have them grease the clutch actuator as well.
I'm not doubting your word, but I find it VERY hard to believe that ANY dealer would "service" the actuator rather than just replace it !!!

IF they did it, you are a VERY lucky customer :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts