Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the get me home fix.

Small HOZ strip of tape marks place to put fingers to pull/up console cover.
Same spot on other side. Aprox !0 + 2 clock positions.

Long VERTICAL tape points to position where you will see the YELLOW lever under the left bottom edge of cover.

1. Slip fingers slightly between bottom edge of the cover and the carpet. Pull up and back ,and snap the cover loose, but do pull up over an inch or so. Be gentle. :) Prop up front of cover about an inch.

2. On the ground, looking in under the cover from the drivers side, you can see a yellow lever just inside the cover. WITH THE KEY ON , Lift this yellow lever while wiggling and pulling the shifter down, out of park. (Wife used a pen to lift the lever).

3, Do not try to use Park again until the whole shifter box has been replaced.

4, Feed back is appreciated so that we can refine this fix.

A2Jack

·
Registered
15 Posts
A few days ago, I started to notice the shifting getting a little sticky. The next morning, it took a while to engage. A few hours later - almost impossible to get out of Park. If able to get out of Park & drive - then not possible to get back into Park.

Brought it to the dealer. Mechanic said (in front of me) that it needed a new shifter. Just spoke to the Service dept & they said they fixed a couple of cables & greased it & it's working just fine.

Make sense??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Checkout the following: http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5428 for an easy fix for your shifter problems. I could not get the yellow pull to move enough to release the car from park. With the shifter knob off you can easily change gears. (There is a manufacturing problem on some cars where they will not shift after a week or two. A little oil following the instructions in this link and you will be back up and running in 5 minutes.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
My car was completely immobilized due to the sticky shifter, and the fix ( suggested to me by the Service mgr at the closest dlrshp - more than 500 miles away - and what he said would be done in his service dept! ) took me less than 30 seconds! Ask yr service mgr before sending your car off on a flatbed!

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
[...] more than 500 miles away [...] before sending your car off on a flatbed!
This is exactly why smart, smartUSA, the dealerships and the users have to have transparent relations. On the long run, it'll save money and inconvenience to all!
Thanks for the post, alyx13.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Do you have the one or two piece shaft on your shifter? Does anyone know how to remove the knob on the one piece shaft or have these been problem free?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Preemptive strike?

Would those of you familiar with this issue suggest a "preemptive strike"? Should I do this on my brand new yet-to-reach 1000 miles smart passion? Or wait until I notice sticky issues?

Checkout the following: DIY: Gear shift knob removal and lube - Smart Car of America Forums for an easy fix for your shifter problems. I could not get the yellow pull to move enough to release the car from park. With the shifter knob off you can easily change gears. (There is a manufacturing problem on some cars where they will not shift after a week or two. A little oil following the instructions in this link and you will be back up and running in 5 minutes.)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Here's another shot of the shifter box. As you see it's a one piece unit.

Some of those with failures have been able to lube the push button and be Ok. Must of us have had to go back again to the dealers for a full replacement of the shifter box.

Tripping the Yellow button has enabled a number of our members to drive their cars home, and then on to the dealers. My wife was able to unlock it with a pen while talking to the Smart dealer on the phone. :) Best regards. A2Jack.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My SMART is being picked up today by a dealership 150 miles away, has to be taken there, fixed, and returned, because it won't shift out of park. On Memorial Day Weekend...my guess is that I won't have my car for quite a few days. :(

·
Registered
149 Posts
my shifter today at the market felt strange (the button) so i made sure i went home then..(before it tried to strand me , while home i was using it and it stuck :)(in my garage). (good thinking on my part)

so i removed knob ,....seemed just the button assembly on the knob itself was sticking....i could use a screw driver and push it(the button in the knob) so. i decided to lubricate it and once moving. i applied some grease to complete assembly, seems to have cured it...

all working normally now...... a little worrisome now though......makes you wonder when or if it will do this again. (even though its all lubricated now)

first issue i have had with car in almost 3000 miles...

ill keep you posted

chris

·
Registered
25 Posts
mine too!

I had same problem last Friday. (see post under won"t shift). ANyhow car had to be towed and today(May 27) dealer says parts are on order and problem is shifter. I have 3700 miles on car and started it 7 times on Friday.

·
Registered
101 Posts
mine three

Had mine hauled in today. May be ready Monday late. They had to order the shifter.

1500 miles.

Still love it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
1 week to fix- but it was Memorial day week

Took one week to fix shifter problem. Mechanic at dealership said they don't know what causes shifter to fail, but are sending mine to Germany for inspection. Hope the new shifter last's longer.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've also had that same problem. I have read some folks having the same problem and they have had there car for only one or two weeks. So do they have the shifter problem fixed? Both times my car broke down I've been in a good area while waiting for the flatbed truck to arrive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi gratefully I read this post previously. My car did the same thing yesterday. I bought some WD 40 and sqirted just a tiny bit around the button. It immediately resolved the problem w/o removing anything.

I cannot believe Mercedes has not taken care of this yet. I read the first posting well before I picked up my car.

Something so trivial surely impacts the "quality of ownership" experience. Fortunately this is my only poor exoperience. Love the car over all. Makes my other car seem obsolete. It is an 07 avalon limited.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow, I'm a new member. I joined because I was thinking about getting one of these. It's the only small car with a convertible option.

However, after reading this thread, I doubt I will follow through. Something as simple as a shifter should not fail at this high of a level on a new car. It seriously makes me think about what else could be wrong with the engineering.

You'd think that, with tons of these driving around Europe; they'd not have issues like this with something so simple.

Yes, I am aware that other cars have manufacturer defects and recalls, but the small size of this forum (only approx 3000 members) vs. number of problems is a little offsetting.

I own a 2006 Toyota Solara convertible, so I was excited to see Smart convertible...I'll have to do some more thinking. Thankfully, if I buy; there's a dealership close by.

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Wow, I'm a new member. I joined because I was thinking about getting one of these. It's the only small car with a convertible option.

However, after reading this thread, I doubt I will follow through. Something as simple as a shifter should not fail at this high of a level on a new car. It seriously makes me think about what else could be wrong with the engineering.

You'd think that, with tons of these driving around Europe; they'd not have issues like this with something so simple.

Yes, I am aware that other cars have manufacturer defects and recalls, but the small size of this forum (only approx 3000 members) vs. number of problems is a little offsetting.

I own a 2006 Toyota Solara convertible, so I was excited to see Smart convertible...I'll have to do some more thinking. Thankfully, if I buy; there's a dealership close by.
Just a kind reminder: troubles are most likely to come up on top of the heap. Good comments like "I have no problem"... are not that prevalent, because they tend to be boring after a while.
As for membership, last count: 14,737
Hope you make a wise choice, MCOjerry. You will!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just a kind reminder: troubles are most likely to come up on top of the heap. Good comments like "I have no problem"... are not that prevalent, because they tend to be boring after a while.
As for membership, last count: 14,737
Hope you make a wise choice, MCOjerry. You will!
I know, that's why I am still considering one. I know all cars have their problems, the number vs members was what struck me.

When I clicked on the member list, it only showed just under 3000 members in the top right corner. I guess that must mean something else.

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Yeah, I notice that, 2.293...
But at the bottom of the main forum page, it says... what I wrote. Let's be optimistic!

14.738 (one more since...)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
if something like a shifter problem in a first-year vehicle is enough to scare you out of buying a smart, then you probably shouldn't get into a smart for a year or two more. there WILL be issues to work out, and some of them might be a PITA waiting for foreign parts to be shipped from overseas, there will be very few people familiar with the vehicles and it's generally going to require an owner who is willing to be patient, wait and who knows that ownership is worth a little hassle sometimes.

this is NOT the vehicle for someone who wants japanese reliability and wide availability of replacement parts and technicians who have been working on the problems for decades.

i would encourage you to look elsewhere for your convertible.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts