Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
so...guess what happened to me today?
yep, the shifter button got the gremlin and got stuck in "PARK"...right after my trip to the lunchtime sushi restaurant. I had to boogie away from the smart in a hurry to teach my after-lunch class, when I returned, i called roadside assistance. they dispatched the flatbed to my location in the mojave desert california. while waiting, i decided to futz around with the shifter knob and see what i could figure out. after slightly pushing and pulling and and twisting, the shifter knob came free in my bare hand...and there, exposed was the linkage shaft. i found that without the knob and the non-functional button, the car shifted easily by depressing the white nylon linkage shaft...

anyway, the flat bed arrived and loaded up the smartmobile and drove off to smart riverside/mercedes dealer (my nearest dealer)...it was depressing to see the car go away :(

the service rep at mercedes riverside is easy to work with...and we'll see how this shifter episode goes...

i was poking around this forum when i arrived home, and read the "lube it up" and "replaced the whole thing" responses...i wonder what my outcome will be?

oh, yes...recieved the car on may 11, 08...just recieved the invoice for my first loan payment...i was at about 900 miles today...let's hope for the best, and i'll keep you posted on the outcome of this adventure.

·
Banned
844 Posts
root cause analysis...

if all you clowns would post DATE OF MANUFACTURE, we could know when the factory screwed up!

jeezus effing christ! oh, oh, oh, my shifter locked up!!! when was it made?!?!?!? it's a lubrication issue!!! i have had my smart over 6 months, and it shifts smooth as silk!!!! date of manufacture is 12/07!!!!!

get with the program!!!!!

get your head screwed on straight before i crap down your silly neck!

·
Banned
844 Posts
smarties

i am seriously tired of you clowns. oh, oh, my smart won't shift, they towed it away!

when the hell was it made?!?!?!?!?

it's a manufacturing issue, we need to pin down when it started and stopped. i'm sure smart is trying to pin it down, but they are damned silent, it costs them $$$ to tow a smart back for a 2 minute lube job!

i sure as hell hope i'm a lucky smartie, 6 months of perfect performance. you clowns are as useless as tits on a bull. we need DETAILS!!!!!! look at the frikkin tramp stamp!!! when was it made, you're helping NOBODY with your b!tch!ng and moaning!!!!

get serious!!!!

·
Registered
383 Posts
if all you clowns would post DATE OF MANUFACTURE, we could know when the factory screwed up!

jeezus effing christ! oh, oh, oh, my shifter locked up!!! when was it made?!?!?!? it's a lubrication issue!!! i have had my smart over 6 months, and it shifts smooth as silk!!!! date of manufacture is 12/07!!!!!

get with the program!!!!!

get your head screwed on straight before i crap down your silly neck!

Why is there no "report this post to moderator button? :confused:

This is actually a fairly civilized forum and your post lowers the tone to a grade school level. Please take your attitude back to P.S. Wherever.

·
Banned
844 Posts
hi jag dork!
this is a serious problem. it cripples smarts. smart knows about it. NO RECALLS!!! but they will replace some shifter units.

if your smart "dies" due to this malfunction, will you SMILE and say "OH JOY!"

get with the program!

i'm not "mr bad example" for my "velvet touch".

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Why is there no "report this post to moderator button? :confused:

This is actually a fairly civilized forum and your post lowers the tone to a grade school level. Please take your attitude back to P.S. Wherever.
To report: the "caution" sign at this window's lower left corner, by the "green" button (in most cases).

Thanks scdaf, for noting that this is a civilized forum. Or at least an attempt to.

Let's imagine that mrbadexample is simply blinded by anger to have a sick smart. And hope he'll edit his own posts... :rolleyes: in due time...

·
Registered
590 Posts
i have a healthy smart after 6+ months. if people would post a manufacturing window of their troubles. we'd all have a better idea.

you guys are less than useless. how did so many stupid people acquire smart cars?!?!?!?! we are trying to pin down a problem in manufacturing!
we need dates!!!

you want a censor? censor intelligence! you two have NONE!!!!

:eek:

·
Banned
844 Posts
smart hasn't issued a recall, or admitted to a screw up in manufacture, which happened!

be civilized when you are on vacation 1000 miles from home and your smart fails, i bet you blow all your gaskets!!!!

think ahead...

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
smart hasn't issued a recall, or admitted to a screw up in manufacture, which happened!

be civilized when you are on vacation 1000 miles from home and your smart fails, i bet you blow all your gaskets!!!!

think ahead...
By being a member of this forum, you knew right away what was wrong, and how it can, and will, be fixed.
Let us all remember that it was posted earlier that this shifter issue is known, but not as extended as it may appear from the complains we read. I.e., scAlecandria (the only one I have contacted about this) has reported less than 2% of failures. Not enough to warrant a recall. But enough to take preventive mesures when possible.
As for being stuck while on vacation, I agree it's a pain in... Did you get an estimated date/time for your car to be fixed?

·
Banned
844 Posts
To report: the "caution" sign at this window's lower left corner, by the "green" button (in most cases).

Thanks scdaf, for noting that this is a civilized forum. Or at least an attempt to.

Let's imagine that mrbadexample is simply blinded by anger to have a sick smart. And hope he'll edit his own posts... :rolleyes: in due time...
i have a healthy smart, knock on plastic. i see all around me transmission failures in posts on several sites.

"oh, my smart had to be towed", no date of manufacture. i'm trying to pin this down for everyone. build a database of when this occured. MB screwed up, it happens with all companies. let's get when it started and when they fixed it! (they aren't telling us!)

i was in OEM car parts for a few years (manufacturing). i'm not angry, i'm "critical", i was in QC (quality control) for the last 20 years.

i'm not angry, i'm "detail orientated"...

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
i have a healthy smart, knock on plastic. i see all around me transmission failures in posts on several sites.

"oh, my smart had to be towed", no date of manufacture. i'm trying to pin this down for everyone. build a database of when this occured. MB screwed up, it happens with all companies. let's get when it started and when they fixed it! (they aren't telling us!)

i was in OEM car parts for a few years (manufacturing). i'm not angry, i'm "critical", i was in QC (quality control) for the last 20 years.

i'm not angry, i'm "detail orientated"...
Mine seems to be working fine (knock on plastic too!). But I can feel that it may not "find", or stay in. its position if I'm not careful. So, next time I'm at the shop, I'll have them lubricate it, just as a precaution.
The sticker says 3/08.

And yours will be fixed by?...

·
Banned
844 Posts
fix

seems the easiest "fix" i've seen is a can of arerosol silicon lubricant, when the shifter "locks" take the can of silicon and spray at the top of the shifter button. that's without dis-assembly. another site recommends removing the shift knob.

my smart, at 6 months, 4300 + miles, is running like new.

mercedes is a high end manufacturer, they should have issued a recall for lube or replacement. they are replacing some shifters now, when there are failures. towing smarts back for a 5 minute fix is insane.

i am going to keep a can of silicon spray under my seat, just in case, but i think i was a "lucky one" with my smart.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Thanx to Dave777, when mine went on holiday at over 4000 miles it was an easy fix. For me........ not all have the mechanical ability to accomplish it. MrBad, lighten up a wee bit. Not everyone knows the ins and outs of recalls, TSB's, hidden recalls, etc.

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
seems the easiest "fix" i've seen is a can of arerosol silicon lubricant, when the shifter "locks" take the can of silicon and spray at the top of the shifter button. that's without dis-assembly. another site recommends removing the shift knob.

my smart, at 6 months, 4300 + miles, is running like new.

mercedes is a high end manufacturer, they should have issued a recall for lube or replacement. they are replacing some shifters now, when there are failures. towing smarts back for a 5 minute fix is insane.

i am going to keep a can of silicon spray under my seat, just in case, but i think i was a "lucky one" with my smart.
This post with video:
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/107932-post48.html
seems very helpful. It shows exactly how to disassemble the shifter. Looks very easy if you get a rag, pliers wide enough to take in the shifter's shaft, and lube. Can be done in 5 minutes!
I's in the Maintenance FAQs.

·
Banned
844 Posts
so, now we have 12/07 when it was ok and 03/08. something happened between 12/07 and 03/08. see how easy that was? my 12/07 smart was ok, your 03/08 smart was ok.... so we got a "window" something happened in that time period.

just trying to pin this down. i'm not trying to be an a-hole, just want to pin this problem down.

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
At this stage, the most important is to get you going... Did you see that very short video? Keep us posted once your shifter is OK!

·
Registered
801 Posts
My only addition to the fix would be to wrap the shifter with electrical tape prior to plier application. About ten rounds, which will keep the plastic safe, and any sticky will wipe right off. MrBad, mine was 02/08. Was fine 'til just over 4000, and went south in one day. Not any lube in there at all.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts