Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
Its probably as narrow as its going to get...

thanks xcrew, that closes the "window"

we need to narrow this problem down!
glad you've calm down MrBad, but geez, why so much initial exuberance? Yours is apparently OK, so whats the fuss? Looks like we have a "window" of the first quarter of the year, and even if "we" were to narrow it down to a few weeks, there's no guarantee that failures can't occur outside this window as well since it was a design flaw which they have hopefully corrected now (knock on wood). Now I do agree that if there was a know problem with these early shifters, that a TSB or recall should occur, but again getting all upset about trying to narrow the problem down won't do anything in that regard.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm wondering if I'm about to get "stuck". I have a little over 5,000 perfect miles but yesterday I started having difficulty shifting between park and reverse and/or reverse and park. Has anyone else gotten warning that it was about to go bad, or did it just happen? I'm not sure when my car was built and it's dark outside, so I'm not going to go look now, but I bought it (an orphan) at the end of March.

·
Registered
62 Posts
OK, I just reread this whole thread from the start and answered my own question. Looks like I better take care of this tomorrow or I will be stuck!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I felt the same way. The shifter in my car was getting harder and harder to get out of Park. So, I took it to the dealer yesterday and they said they had seen it before. They said they would lubricate it and shave off a part.

I have just over 11,000 miles on my smart and I pretty much always use it in D. At least, this time I got a loaner car, a C300W that rode very nice. I only drove about 25 miles to my office and back and it took $11.50 in premium gas...

·
Registered
46 Posts
My shifter stuck once last week. It wouldn't go into park or in manual mode. It would shift between reverse, neutral and drive - making it, at least, driveable. Also, since it wouldn't go in to park - you could not remove the key. I was at the office at the time. I had pulled up in the back. When I couldn't remove the key, I pulled around to the front where I could keep an eye on the car. When I parked in the front the shifter worked. I called my smart dealer and scheduled an appt. for the next morning. It's now fixed (got an oil change while I was there) and the shifter movement is much smoother.

Manufacture date 01/08
mileage @ failure approx. 5000

·
Registered
590 Posts
so, now we have 12/07 when it was ok and 03/08. something happened between 12/07 and 03/08. see how easy that was? my 12/07 smart was ok, your 03/08 smart was ok.... so we got a "window" something happened in that time period.

just trying to pin this down. i'm not trying to be an a-hole, just want to pin this problem down.
there was a strike at the smartmobile factoy in smartville, france in November and early December 2007...could that be a connection?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
My shifter stuck once last week. It wouldn't go into park or in manual mode. It would shift between reverse, neutral and drive - making it, at least, driveable. Also, since it wouldn't go in to park - you could not remove the key. I was at the office at the time. I had pulled up in the back. When I couldn't remove the key, I pulled around to the front where I could keep an eye on the car. When I parked in the front the shifter worked. I called my smart dealer and scheduled an appt. for the next morning. It's now fixed (got an oil change while I was there) and the shifter movement is much smoother.

Manufacture date 01/08
mileage @ failure approx. 5000
Smarteg. Our shifter lock occurred first time at 5,000.
Date of MFG = 01/08

How do get up those 1,000 Oaks hills with the Segway? :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I dunno' if this is related, but I'll give it a shot...I had an issue with my Toyota Corolla awhile ago where the battery went dead nose in in a parking lot. In order to jump the battery, I had to put the car in neutral, back it out, and pop the hood. But you can't shift the automatic transmission with no battery power (or, for that matter when the brake pedal light switch is broken) unless you remove a little plug and insert a screwdriver into a manual override. Since I want to be prepared, can you shift the smart from park to neutral when the battery is drained, and if not, is there a transmission override? (does that make sense?)

·
Registered
11 Posts
great video

saved me a tow (really saved them a tow)

the guy at the dealer told me to just pull hard on the shifter and it should come off - RIGHT, not.

i was able to turn it with my hand no need for tape or tools - so i would try that first

It did not seem to need any lube as it shifted great with the little white piece, very easy and smooth. I think the problem is with the button on the shifter but i may be wrong as it seemed to work fine when off also.

there was another at the dealer with the same issue and they told me they have seen a lot with the issue

i got mine in april after a long wait on the list as i signed up the first day it was available - just over 3k miles

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
Since I want to be prepared, can you shift the smart from park to neutral when the battery is drained, and if not, is there a transmission override?

Check out post #1 in this thread. That's probably as close as you're going to come to an answer unless you want to disconnect the battery and then try the "get me home fix" to see if it still works.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
... It did not seem to need any lube as it shifted great with the little white piece, very easy and smooth. I think the problem is with the button on the shifter but i may be wrong as it seemed to work fine when off also. ...
The knob button actuates a plastic sliding cam that depresses the white vertical shaft. Both the face of the cam and the top of the shaft need lubrication. There is little bearing surface between the two plastic pieces for really smooth, long-lasting operation. It would have been better if M-B spent a little more and made the pieces out of machined "oil-bronze" or designed the actuating knob to be on the top, directly depressing the vertical shaft.

Some of my "Emergency Roadside Procedure" cards (laminated 4" x 9" cards printed in large Arial Bold font for low-light use, and kept in the glovebox):

·
Registered
246 Posts
re: #54 Old smart

Your 'Emergency Procedure Cards' are a GREAT idea !!

Can you post the .doc files or .pdf so we all can use them?

tnx...

41 - 60 of 73 Posts