Smart Car of America Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just over 20,000 miles on our 08 Cabrio and the other morning it would not start, it was in park and had the the 3 lines instead of the P. Husband took gas hog truck to work. After finding info from here I had the shifter greased and running again within a few minutes. Last year when had smart in for the 2.0 update they also greased the shifter. I'm wondering if we should just add this quick lubricating procedure to the once a year to do list on the car or should we have it checked out?

Got car April 08 so well over the warranty period. But, am ok just periodically lubricating it if that is all it really needs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stuck shifter

My first problems with the shifter appeared in the first winter after purchase. Initially the dealer thought a lubrication would fix the issue, but ultimately the shifter was replaced. Interestingly, the problem has reappeared with the first cold weather this winter. I've had the car for 30 months (22,800 miles) and overall love driving it...but this issue seems to be an engineering flaw. The shifter initially was stuck and after fiddling with it for 15 minutes and no results, I decided to let the interior warm up with hope that the lubricant would work better thawed out. 5 minutes of fiddling after the warmup and I was able to shift out of park (but still not smooth). I've got a big rubber band on the shifter holding the button down for now until I can get the car in. The car is out of warranty since March but my dealer has said that since this is a "recurrent problem" he may be able to address it without charge.

·
Banned
513 Posts
Got stuck in park because of a faulty brake-light switch and couldn't get it in for a couple days, so used the yellow lever quite a bit. I found it easier to find by sticking a finger under the cover at the front/center of the housing. After a few tries, I didn't even have to look for it or use a tool and could lift it while sitting in the driver's seat..

·
Registered
11 Posts
ok i was reversing and then it stopped, couldnt get it to move, mine will go thru R,N,D but like its stuck in park, will this help

·
Registered
204 Posts
History Repeated

Hi gratefully I read this post previously. My car did the same thing yesterday. I bought some WD 40 and sqirted just a tiny bit around the button. It immediately resolved the problem w/o removing anything.

I cannot believe Mercedes has not taken care of this yet. I read the first posting well before I picked up my car.

Something so trivial surely impacts the "quality of ownership" experience. Fortunately this is my only poor exoperience. Love the car over all. Makes my other car seem obsolete. It is an 07 avalon limited.
Well, here it is a few years later and our 2008 cabrio was stuck in PARK. yesterday. Fortunately it was at home! Unfortunately, I was trying to clone the hard drive on my laptop and ended up with a computer that wouldn't work. I finally got the problem resolved and came to our website.

Following Nate's advice, I squirted some wd-40 around the button and, like magic, we are back in business.

I love this crew!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have a 2015 Pure that we flat tow, with less than 6,000 miles. The shifter has been STUCK twice in park with the ASB and Active Handling lights on. First time it took awhile to get out of park. It final move out of park after slamming down hard on the brake pedal. Took it to the dealer in West Covina, Calif and they could not find a problem. They said it was most likely because I flat tow the car.

It happened again about 6 weeks later to my daughter. Now I was home in southern Calif and she and the car were in Carson City Nv. We left the motorhome and the Smat up there for wedding. And we had driven her car 8 hours down south for a month. She called me asking if she had a blond moment, because she could NOT get it out of park. I asked if the ASB and Active Handling lights were on. Yep they were. Then all of a sudden the shifter moved and she was ok.

So now what?

I do not think it is a lubrication problem. Sounds more like some kind of Brake/computer problem. If it was because of towing it would happen right after towing. It does not, it happeds a week or two later. Dealer has not been much help and closes Smart dealership in Sacramento, Calif 130 miles away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
seems the easiest "fix" i've seen is a can of arerosol silicon lubricant, when the shifter "locks" take the can of silicon and spray at the top of the shifter button. that's without dis-assembly. another site recommends removing the shift knob.

my smart, at 6 months, 4300 + miles, is running like new.

mercedes is a high end manufacturer, they should have issued a recall for lube or replacement. they are replacing some shifters now, when there are failures. towing smarts back for a 5 minute fix is insane.

i am going to keep a can of silicon spray under my seat, just in case, but i think i was a "lucky one" with my smart.
my 2009 got stuck in Park today, used the silacone spray, with shifter button both out and pushed in. After 8-19 try the shifter came out of Prk. thank you for this solution

·
Banned
214 Posts
Thank you. The problem went away and of course both gas and electric act up in winter.

I cringe every time I get in the electric and the key won’t turn.

Then my senses come back and realize I parked funny and the steering wheel is in the lock position.

Thank you

·
I'll figger this car out
349 Posts
FWIW,

I got a 2009 451 that's in good shape-- had a fuel problem. The battery is dead. The shifter is stuck in PARK. So it looks like there's hope for me yet.

Since I am brand new, anyone who wants to can send me messages with ideas, tips and parts sources, including dead smarts in MI or Ohio, I will answer.

BTW how do you get an actual factory service manual for these cars? I have worked on many Citroen mini-cars, but these are obviously a cut above.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just a kind reminder: troubles are most likely to come up on top of the heap. Good comments like "I have no problem"... are not that prevalent, because they tend to be boring after a while.
As for membership, last count: 14,737
Hope you make a wise choice, MCOjerry. You will!
LOL... this is called "survivorship bias"; very good point to the original post. A more relevant stat would be the number of members/number of cars... lol :)

61 - 73 of 73 Posts