Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure what happened to my old thread here: http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f353/ye-old-clutch-actuator-issue-question-109529/

After replacing the actuator, clutch, Benz quoting $5k to fix, buying a new VW and hours of tinkering on the stupid thing with my wife's brother. The absolutely least likely thing I would of thought to have gone bad was the issue. Apparently the computer under the seat that controls the shifting was failing only on start, stops, and first to second gear.

The computer only cost around $200, I guess at least I have a new clutch, actuator and spare car now :D

If you have replaced the actuator, and know your clutch isn't too worn (mine has 142k on it and the clutch wasn't to out of spec), you may on to check it out.

Was also the least fun I've ever had dropping a tranny from a vehicle photos. https://goo.gl/photos/zBWNjrtH7dktHGcE6

·
Super Moderator
28,978 Posts
Your earlier thread was deleted for some reason. It's back now, with a link to your post here. :)

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Not sure what happened to my old thread here: http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f353/ye-old-clutch-actuator-issue-question-109529/

After replacing the actuator, clutch, Benz quoting $5k to fix, buying a new VW and hours of tinkering on the stupid thing with my wife's brother. The absolutely least likely thing I would of thought to have gone bad was the issue. Apparently the computer under the seat that controls the shifting was failing only on start, stops, and first to second gear.

The computer only cost around $200, I guess at least I have a new clutch, actuator and spare car now :D

If you have replaced the actuator, and know your clutch isn't too worn (mine has 142k on it and the clutch wasn't to out of spec), you may on to check it out.

Was also the least fun I've ever had dropping a tranny from a vehicle photos. https://goo.gl/photos/zBWNjrtH7dktHGcE6
It looks like you've really had an ordeal. I'm glad you stuck with it and figured out the problem. We've all benefited from your situation and heck an extra car is a good thing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I read your thread on the actuator when it was posted in the email newsletter. My shifting is starting to act up.
- Is there a step by step list on troubleshooting the problem to get to the solution quickly?
- Is there a way to figure if its the computer messing up and not the actuator without replacing the actuator first? I put stuff under the passenger seat and it has already knocked my air bag light on already.

My car started messing up thursday evening from the first shift to the last shift on my commute. Messed up friday morning and evening after a good 10 shifts. And no problems earlier today (saturday). I have done no p/m on the car.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My car stopped acting up after my 01-22-17 posting til this morning.
- During my commute, engine stopped in traffic and someone had to push it into a side street. Currently sitting 4 miles from home. Walked from work to the car and it would not start.
Computer? or actuator?

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Is the battery up? Will the lights turn on? If the battery appears to be up do you get the three bars where it normally says "D" in the dash cluster? Was it hard to push as if it was locked in gear? We need more info to guide you with this problem. DCO

·
Registered
50 Posts
The battery was replaced a few years ago- the hazard lights turned on. I tend to burn through headlights at a slightly fast rate - I didn't notice any 3 bars on the dash. I'll stop by on my way to work to see if there was 3 bars
Car was easy to push.
Car stalled in traffic and it won't start in park or neutral.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was running late this morning and plan on looking at the car in the morning. Its still 4 miles away. What tools do i need to pull the battery out? Is it just a 10mm wrench? Last time i changed the battery, the top plate had to be bent here or there and took an hour to get fixed.
6 hours till i make the long walk to work

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
The hold and both terminals are a 10mm. If it just died and won't start it could be a faulty alternator that is not charging the battery. The Fortwo is very finicky about battery voltage. When my battery was failing it did all sorts of crazy stuff. Even though you turn the key to start it, it is the actual computer that activates the starter. So if the battery wasn't charging as you were driving it, it could die in traffic and not have enough voltage for it to start, yet there was still enough voltage for the flashers to activate. Since it is so far from your house, can you get someone to help you remove the battery and take it to an auto parts store to have it tested? Even if they could charge it for you, you could re-install it and maybe get the Fortow running and head straight to the auto parts place again for them to check voltages to see if your alternator is bad. Just shooting in the dark here for the most probable cause of your problem. DCO

·
Registered
50 Posts
Either my key fob battery is dead or the car battery is dead. I only brought my backup key and it might of been dead
On a side note, I broke off the cover covering the key hole a month ago. With no power, I'm stumped on how to get in. My only thought is to drill a hole for a screw or use crazy glue

·
Registered
333 Posts
Either my key fob battery is dead or the car battery is dead. I only brought my backup key and it might of been dead
On a side note, I broke off the cover covering the key hole a month ago. With no power, I'm stumped on how to get in. My only thought is to drill a hole for a screw or use crazy glue
If you have a battery/jump box or another vehicle and some cables... the positive terminal of the battery is accessible via its connection to the starter, and visible from under the engine. Ground is any substantial piece of metal back there.

~toaster

·
Registered
50 Posts
I stopped at my car on the way from work and got the door open with the keyfob.
Yellow triangle was lit up(between turn signal lights) for roughly 10 sec and there was 2 wrenches on the left of the dash. There was not 3 lines of death. I didn't see anything odd lit up.
About a month ago, i had a hard time getting the key to turn in the ignition so i left the spare key in the ignition. Just throwing that out there in case it matters
I have a work truck that i am planning on driving out to get the battery problem resolved tommarrow.The truck is suppose to stay at my jobsite. Battery is 3.5 years old. So, should i just replace the battery or take it in to get it tested? I'll be using an aap online coupon so unknown if the store would take the lower price. Last battery(current battery) took an hour to put it in myself.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Usually any battery more than 3 years old is suspect. It is possible you lost a belt, or hte alternator is not working. Had my alternator quit and the car still would start and run, battery light was on and driving down the road, my voltage was about 12.3 volts. it should be just over 14 volts.

replaced the Alternator (which isn't fun) and voltage went back up to where it should. a week later, the belt broke. I should have replaced it when I installed the alternator.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts