Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that most of the time when I shift from park to reverse, I get a flashing N, If I shift into D and then back to reverse, it goes no problem. Any thoughts?? 2008 Passion with 113K miles. Just curious as my old 2009 didn't do this.

:shrug:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Jim, you may need to check your shift motors. My '09 with 67K had a shift motor stop working and I only had 2,4,R. Pulled the shift motors and found that there was transmission oil inside the motor that mixed with the carbon brush dust and stopped working. Cleaned and reinstalled and had all 5 gears back, and it shifted faster. Good luck and hope to see you at the mid west rally in June.

Buzzz 42

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Works OK once the car warms up... so far, I been living with it. and I WILL be at the rally. got my room reserved, money paid, etc. I'll be alone again but that is OK...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am experiencing the problem of not getting into reverse after the car has warmed up. It does not occur when the car is cold. When the problem occurs (often), the dash indicator is blank where the R should appear. After a few seconds I get an audible warning beep. Shifting down to D then sometimes also produces a blank indicator. If I cycle the shifter between P, D & R a couple of times I will finally get the transmission into R (and D).

I never experience a missed shift when I am driving. While driving, shifting into any forward gear is smooth and quick. It is only when I am not moving and I try to shift into R.

My Smart is a 08 Passion with 84K miles. I replaced the clutch actuator around 50K miles due to a total failure to get into any gears.

I am wondering if the problem is a tranmission sensor or shift motor.

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
293 Posts
This is happening to me also. It is a common complaint with multiple fixes applied to no avail. Not the actuator, not the gear shift motors. Not the shift knob lubrication. Not the reteaching battery disconnect. Not the new battery. Not the reprogramming. Why do I know this? Because I have done ALL of those fixes.

The solution, unfortunately, is either just live with it or pay money for a new clutch plate, pressure plate and flywheel, which is fairly expensive (>$1k) if done by MB. Google "TIPS document on this condition says that the input shaft will continue to spin not allowing the car to go into gear."

I choose to just live with it. It only happens occasionally when going from park to reverse or drive, but the cars runs fine once engaged. No slippage or grinding when driving. (I do pray it won't happen in an emergency, that is my worst case scenario.)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Most of my 5 Smarts do it once in a while. Generally, turning the engine off and back on resolves the issue. I've had it happen when the car is cold (first start in the morning), as well as when the car is warm after being driven. It has never not gone away or left me stranded somewhere, so I've always chalked it up to some sort of bug. The first time it happened in my very first Smart I was worried, but now I have 5 Smarts and at least 3 of them have done it to me personally.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Last week, I parked on a slight sidehill and rolled into the curb when I parked. When I went to back out a few hours later, it wouldn't go into reverse. I ended up shutting off the motor, turning the key on and running through the gears. Afterwards it worked fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts