Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had problems shifting in reverse and not being able to, unless you tried several times? Does anyone know a fix to this? I have had the free upgraded software to my 2008 Smart ForTwo Passion, and it is still having problems. Not a big deal but would like to know how to permanently fix it.

:cool:

Thanks,
-SCB
SmartCarBaller

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Which upgrade did you have? There was the "2.0" upgrade that essentially brought the 2008 transmission software up to 2009 spec, and there was also a specific software update intended to resolve issues with the transmission not engaging reverse or drive. From what you're describing, it sounds as though the latter is the one you need.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you!

SCB After you read this thread you will really feel bad.

Looks like it will be out of your pocket. MB has been refusing to help on anything even slightly out of warranty. :(

.Worse, they seem to have a competency gap in their Smart service Depts :rolleyes: A2Jack

A2jack, thank you, for the reply! do you know how much it will cost me? This is crazy! It does not bother me, life has more important things to worry about, but if its not to much to fix I would like it to be permanently fixed.
Also, thank you, Padawan-(1st post), and Jwight-(2nd post)! Your help is appreciated!

GodBless, stay safe in the week ahead while driving Smart !

Thanks,
-SCB
SmartCarBaller

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
This may only be the 2.03 update. Depending on the dealer, it may be done at no charge, as it is only a software update. Or, they may charge for the software update. I've seen it done out of warranty once at no charge. I understand others charge to do it.
I admired the dealer that did it for no charge of course. Good luck. It is a very common known condition. I understand the upgrade is the 2.03 software update. Again good luck.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,113 Posts
The "2.03" update cost varies by dealer. I called a few and the price ranged from $95 to $165. I had the update installed on my 2008 in Charlotte and they charged $95 to update the transmission software and any other software the car needed while it was hooked up to the machine (ECU, ABS, etc.). The car came back cleaned and ready to go in about 1.5 hours.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Sbc. Rfernatt has your answer Post #8. But it depends on the dealer. Ask.
Then please post here what they charge. A2Jack

·
Registered
320 Posts
The original cause of the "not going in reverse" was the hub on the clutch disk would bind/stick on the input shaft of the transmission. It was debatable as to if the hub could be cleaned and re-lubed with a different lube or the disc had to be replaced (my was replaced and re-lubed with different lube). There was a running change to the disc hub material and tolerances at one point also.

·
Banned
907 Posts
SCB After you read this thread you will really feel bad.

Looks like it will be out of your pocket. MB has been refusing to help on anything even slightly out of warranty. :(

.Worse, they seem to have a competency gap in their Smart service Depts :rolleyes: A2Jack

Let me help you with a little trade secret that you may not know:

If your vehicle is out of warranty (especially if it's just slightly out) and you're seeking assistance on any kind of repair, first try to work something out with your dealership. If that doesn't work, call corporate and ask to speak to a Case Manager. These people work in Customer Service and are there to help work out exactly these kinds of issues. A Case Manager will review your entire history with the vehicle, meaning how long you've had the vehicle, how many miles you put on it, how many other vehicles you've purchased in the past, how you've serviced the vehicle, how much money you've spent servicing/maintaining the vehicle. Trust me, they consider all of the above when making a decision to provide assistance to a vehicle owner. If you have what is deemed a "good" history, the Case Manager will most likely help you by first trying to get the dealership to absorb the cost of the repair (or at least a percentage of it). If the dealership flat out refuses, then the Case Manager has the authority to provide monetary assistance directly from Corporate. If you're lucky, you may even get the repair done with no out of pocket costs to you. But more likely, they'll cover a percentage of the repair. This is all up to the Case Manager and each specific case is different, so there are really no hard and fast rules when it comes to the decisions they make.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The original cause of the "not going in reverse" was the hub on the clutch disk would bind/stick on the input shaft of the transmission. It was debatable as to if the hub could be cleaned and re-lubed with a different lube or the disc had to be replaced (my was replaced and re-lubed with different lube). There was a running change to the disc hub material and tolerances at one point also.
SLIVERS, So are you saying it is not the software update but an internal problem, that does need engine work? Not just a simple software update? Does the Software update "FORCE" the clutch to work, regardless of the different lube and clutch? Thank you for the Feed Back everyone!

Thanks,
-SCB
SmartCarBaller

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,113 Posts
SLIVERS, So are you saying it is not the software update but an internal problem, that does need engine work? Not just a simple software update? Does the Software update "FORCE" the clutch to work, regardless of the different lube and clutch? Thank you for the Feed Back everyone!

Thanks,
-SCB
SmartCarBaller
There were some 2008s with mechanical issues and others just need the software update. So, dealers try the software update first and if the problem continues, then they go for the hardware replacement. In your case, since it happens infrequently and you can coax it into engaging, I'd say it's more likely the software update that is needed. But, you won't know for sure until after the update.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
My 09 also had this problem.... intermittently.....dealer replaced "clutch plate" under warranty.....never a problem again :)

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,113 Posts
my dealer smart center of clearwater fl says he can't do the software update unless the code is showing. is this bs?
Yep. I had it done on my '08 with no symptoms and no code, just because I wanted it done while I was near a smart center (closest one is 200+ miles from home). Of course, I had to pay for it ($95 to update all systems) since my car was out of warranty and I wanted it done "just in case."

I called three dealers who were all willing to do it for a price. I had it done in Charlotte since it was the cheapest and most convenient during my trip.

Does your dealer mean that they won't do it for free unless there is a code or they won't do it all? If it's the latter case, I'd find another, more cooperative dealer.

·
Registered
320 Posts

Thanks,
-SCB
SmartCarBaller
I was told (by smart Portland) that the 08 smarts that would not go into reverse were disk related. The mechanic that did my said that the input shaft and disk hub were actually rusty and had never been lubed from the factory. The software update came along about the same time as the mechanical upgrade. The software was more shifting than anything. If the input shaft/disk was still spinning and it tried to go into gear (reverse) there would be gear grinding as if trying to put you car into gear with the clutch partway engaged. I have a number of friends with 08's that have never had the mechanical or any software up grades and they work great. Mine on the other had would not go into reverse after a longer drive. Hope this helps?

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
I was not having reverse problems, but the smart center decided to update my 09's software anyway, no charge under warranty. While I was there, another smart came in out of warranty that would not go into reverse, and they did the software update for them free as well. They were really pleased with the dealer. This is something that should be learned by all dealers. Good will goes a long way towards cementing a relationship with one's customers.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts