Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Smart is a 2013 coupe. The first issue it only had odd numbered gears and was put back right by moving shifter back and forth, trying to crank in gear, messing with disabling abs, holding down both buttons while turning key. It eventually goes back to working. Now the last several times have been 1 gear only. No shift at all. Usually 2 gear. So far have been able to correct by shutting down and playing with shifter. What is causing this.

·
Super Moderator
11,208 Posts
sounds like a shifter problem, my 09 had the same thing after driving about 5 miles. ended up being water in one of the connectors by the rear left side of the bumper.

could be a low battery??or bad ground too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am in southern Louisiana now. Well actually since I bought it. We have had a lot of rain. Raining now. That plug on tranny?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually just read about that today. I bought the car just a few months ago and no owners manual with it. Only has 36k miles now. Hold brake down and turn on ignition. Right? Went outside and tried this. Nothing happens.

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Teaching-in the transmission system:
X Stop the vehicle in a safe location.
X Move the gear selector lever to park
position P.
X Turn off the engine.
X Wait at least 30 seconds before
restarting.
X Press the brake pedal.
X Restart the engine
Three bars instead of P appear in the
multifunction display.
X Wait at least 30 seconds.
The transmission is taught in.
:)

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
If you have a normal indication on the shift (gear) display, it's probably one of the other issue - shifter module, shift motors or water in one of the underside connectors. :)

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Make sure:

In the USA: If you bought this vehicle used,
be sure to send in the “Information Change
Card” found in the Warranty Information
Booklet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What booklet. There was nothing in glove box. Bought it from a Nissan dealer. Got at good price. They wanted to get rid of it. A warranty is news to me. I thought it was 36k

·
Registered
249 Posts
He bought the car used from a Nissan dealer, they probably stripped it of the manuals/warranty card if they were even in the car.

To the OP, Smarts have a 50,000 mile, 4 year warranty.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts