Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, I have an odd shifting problem that I hope has a simple answer. I'm getting 2 codes: P0914- Gear shift position circuit, and P0500 - Speed sensor A. Not sure if they're related but it seems likely. Also when I drive it it starts in 2nd and shifts straight to 4th. I can't get it into 1st, 3rd or 5th. The tranny sounds fine and the clutch actuator was replaced shortly before I bought it which was last week. When I turn the key I have to put my foot on the brake and I get the 3 bars for about 10 seconds then changes to Park, then starts right up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Had this happen to me on my 09. I drove 5 miles and it would do this, If I disconnected the battery for an hour, I could go another 5 miles and it happened again. Eventually I found a connector on the trans that had water in it. Dried it out and it worked good until I went through the car wash. I filled it with dielectric grease and it never returned.

Connector was on the drivers side underneath close to the rear bumper. I just started pulling connections (with batt disconnected) until I found it it was the one with water in it. took me 2 days to figure it out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds encouraging. I’ll check it out tonight. It appears that there is a controller for R,2,4 and another for 1,3,5 so that may be the culprit. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do you clean it? Remove it? Is there any way to test if the transmission motor is getting the right signals. All the connections I could find look ok. Oh yeah it trips the codes before I even start the car so I'm leaning toward an electrical issue. I also tried disconnecting the battery for a half hour and that didn't change anything.

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
295 Posts
"Also when I drive it it starts in 2nd and shifts straight to 4th. I can't get it into 1st, 3rd or 5th." IIRC, that sounds exactly like the problem I was having.
" The tranny sounds fine " If they replaced the fluid with a GL-5 spec, it will foam up and get in the electric motors. Every since I cleaned the motors and replaced the fluid with a GL-4, now 6 years, it's been fine.
"How do you clean it? Remove it?" Follow jwights's link for the picture tutorial. It's really not that hard, I am not an auto mechanic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I've checked every connection I can find so I guess I'm pulling the tranny motor this weekend. You're right it doesn't look too bad. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I finally found the problem. One of the magnets in the Tranny motor is cracked and a few small pieces stuck the motor. Does anyone know where I could find a replacement magnet?

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
295 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts