Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to purchase my first Smart (deciding between two ED convertibles) and both of the cars I'm considering are in California.
Since I'm located in Raleigh NC, shipping is obviously going to have to take place. Does anyone have experience shipping your smart and any leads for good companies who might cut me a deal since the car is so much smaller than your average auto? Any advice and/or info you can provide would be greatly appreciated! The quotes I've gotten so far are for around $1,300. Looking forward to joining ya'll in the world of smart car ownership!

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Try a broker. They will get you the best price. The thing with a soft top is you want it top loaded or covered transport. Both these services will cost you more. I have shipped many high price soft tops all over in the past few years without any problem using a good broker. In fact in the past month I have shipped two Audi TT's from New England to Florida for an average of $600 each door to door. The cost from CA will be a more due to the mileage however.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,762 Posts
Three years ago leased an ED in West Covina, CA (thank you Kamaal) and had it shipped to NC. I used Montway Auto Transport,

https://www.montway.com

found them both reliable and competitively priced @ $700.

Got lucky around Thanksgiving and using team drivers they had our "Minion" in the driveway in THREE DAYS!

Currently it appears that an OPEN carry would run about $850.

Beware that if you post to the wire your phone/email will blow up with offers some of which come from some rather unscrupulous folks. Pricing can be time sensitive/seasonal and some coast to coast routes can be more expensive than others.

Do your homework, read the reviews and check BBB.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I purchased my 451 ED from a California dealer this past May, and I made the mistake of contacting a few transport companies asking for a price. I was then bombarded by endless robocalls asking if I still needed transport and if so, they had a driver doing my route. This lasted for about two months, and at least six or seven weeks past the time that I actually received our ED. It took a lot of aggressive behavior on my part to get these companies to stop calling. Not fun.

I was basically quoted about a dollar per mile. In the end, I had the dealer arrange the transport, and it came on a small open trailer towed behind a dually type of truck. The trailer looked like it could accommodate two or three cars max.

·
Super Moderator
1,567 Posts
This is the guy I used, but it was only for transport from VA to NC. Not sure if he arranges cross country hauls? He was the shipper that the VA dealer used. I'd use him again.

Marc Ext 826

954-210-7612 : Direct Line
[email protected] : Direct email

Len
2014 EV Coupe 13,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 1,400 miles

1 - 6 of 6 Posts