Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never owned a Smart, although I have a couple of other EV's. But the Cabrio is the only electric convertible out there. From what I can see I should be able to find a used one for less than $10k (maybe 2014-2016?). This would be a 4th car and I live in a suburban area, so I have visions of cruising around locally with the top down and the sun shining, not commuting in the snow.

My local Mercedes dealer is excellent, but a big out-of-warranty repair would take the fun right out of this idea.

Aside from the thing I just read where a dead 12V battery can destroy the main battery(!?), what other pitfalls should I be aware of? I get it that range could be around 40 miles. And that these cars don't have a great suspension. But I did have a chance to drive a Smart ED briefly once and the performance seemed OK.

But tell me more!

·
Registered
470 Posts
I would think you could find one in the $6,000 to $7,500 range.

They are great little cars. My 2013 was my first EV. It’s been my daily driver for about 3.5 years. I had some warranty work done early on but have had no issues since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,376 Posts
Got two of them and love them. We probably do 98% of our driving with them. Maintenance is very minimal and very DIY friendly. Range for me is mid-80's in the summer and mid-70's in the winter. Bought both of ours new.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 19,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 16,500 miles

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the first hand reports! I'll be watching cargurus.com, etc. for one.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,637 Posts
I've never owned a Smart, although I have a couple of other EV's. But the Cabrio is the only electric convertible out there. From what I can see I should be able to find a used one for less than $10k (maybe 2014-2016?). This would be a 4th car and I live in a suburban area, so I have visions of cruising around locally with the top down and the sun shining, not commuting in the snow.

My local Mercedes dealer is excellent, but a big out-of-warranty repair would take the fun right out of this idea.

Aside from the thing I just read where a dead 12V battery can destroy the main battery(!?), what other pitfalls should I be aware of? I get it that range could be around 40 miles. And that these cars don't have a great suspension. But I did have a chance to drive a Smart ED briefly once and the performance seemed OK.

But tell me more!
Welcome to SCoA, our own little "smart" sandbox.

Purchase price expectation may be a little high as with the brand departure from the U.S, we are left with a niche/orphan vehicle with soft resale. Be cautious toward dead inventory that may have sat idle in the elements without an occasional charge. Look for TWO key fobs and if only one is available, request a second be made or a discount of about $400.

The local M.B. dealer may be of little assistance especially if they were not previously a smart Center. Required maintenance (desiccant cartridge) is little and if you are not a DIYer, can be performed by any local mechanic with EURO expertise.

Your profile does not indicate your location but cold weather can make the 68ish mile EPA range a bit of a challenge. In the Carolinas, I have experienced high-low ranges of 75 - 55ish miles. One must have option in my ED is heated seats as unlike the heater, they take little electricity.

Suspension "is what it is" for a short wheelbase, short rebound shock setup and in fact is improved over the ICE version.

Note, my experience comes with a factory ordered MY15 ED that was leased w/BAP then purchased after turn-in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for the input. I am in Raleigh, NC. Winter is generally not a thing here with a few really cold weeks a year. I am retiring in April so I can't predict my driving habits. Maybe fewer but longer range trips, maybe less driving all together. But I do know that most of my activity (BoJangles/Lowes/used book store/hardware store) is well within a 15-miles radius, so I am thinking this would work for a lot of trips, even if around 45 miles range. The local M-B dealer was a Smart dealer as well, so fingers crossed they will be a resource for me.

·
Super Moderator
1,376 Posts
Huge bonus living in the RDU area. Leith Mercedes in Cary still services Smarts and have treated me great, although I've only used them for warranty work. 10% discount for veterans on parts too. Sabrina is my "go to" person in the service dept.

Len

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can someone explain the various Smart model numbers to me? From the FuelEconomy.gov - The official U.S. government source for fuel economy information. site the electric models from 2013-2016 show 68 miles of range, and 2017+ show 58 miles range. But when I see charts of "451" vs. "453" and the like, the breakpoints don't match up with 2013 or 2017.
Does the period 2013-2016 encompass more than one "4XX" model? Are these just body changes?

·
Super Moderator
1,376 Posts
In the US the electrics went through 2016 - those are 451's. In 2016 the ICE's were the first year of the 453's. The 453 electrics didn't come out until 2017. The 68 mile range applies to the 451's through 2016. The 58 mile range applies to the 453's starting in 2017. As a side note it seems like the actual range for both models can be much higher than the feds say depending on conditions and driving style. I get mid-80's on mine in nice weather and mid-70's in cooler weather, but I almost never use the heat or the AC and drive gently and take it as a challenge to see how much range I can get.

Len

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ahhh, that explains what I'm seeing. Thanks so much, this is really helpful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Go for it. My wife and I both have 2015 EV Cabriolets - they're our daily drivers and we routinely see anywhere from 60-80 miles of range, depending on weather and AC / heater use. Best commuters out there, IMHO!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well my search for a 2015-2016 electric cabrio is slow-going. But there are plenty of virtually new 2017 and 2018 models out there for a lot more money ($17-18k). Aside from styling, is there any advantage to buying a newer model? Did the charge rate increase or anything? I understand it has a few more horsepower, but apparently at a loss of about 10 miles range (EPA).

·
Super Moderator
1,376 Posts
A member just posted his 2014 electric for sale in VT. Looks like a nice one. Check the Marketplace forum.

Len
2014 EV Cabriolet 17,000 miles

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, the 2014 owner, Sean, was super nice, but that was a hatchback. It's the cabrio that adds the magic for me. The Fiat 500e looks like a better hatchback than the Smart. Both are oddly cheap as used vehicles considering their new prices!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just wanted to update this thread. Thanks to everyone who chimed in. I finally bought a 2013 ED Cabrio that had been sitting in Malden MA for a couple of months. At $7500 it seemed over-priced, but I was watching intently and nothing else under $15000 has shown up on-line in the last month. My first purchase of a car "sight unseen". Dealer charged my Master Card $500 to take the car off the market, I sent the remaining payment by certified check. He Fed-ex'd title and bill of sale the day he got the check. Lots of on-line vendors offering to ship your car. Wound up paying $179 broker fee and $600 to the trucker. (I'll bet it cost him that much in gas to drive from Mass. to N.C.!)
But everything went well and my local DMV has just processed the title. Whew, so many things could have gone wrong!

·
Super Moderator
1,376 Posts
Congrats - hope it works out for you. Suggest you talk with Sabrina at the Cary dealership and make sure your car has had all the service campaigns done. There is no cost to have them done. We think that one of those campaigns keeps your car's HV battery from "bricking" when the 12v battery goes bad. On another note, I'd want to make sure your 12v is okay and if it's original, it might be time.

Len
2014 EV Cabriolet 17,500 miles

1 - 16 of 16 Posts