Smart Car of America Forum banner

Should I drive the Smart to the Mountains?

13K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  ColoradoKiwi 
#1 ·
We have a weekend planned in Winter Park, Co this weekend. We need two cars for the number of people going. I was wondering if the Smart would be OK to drive up? Denver is at 5280' & Winter Park is at 10,578'. Because of a negative experience already with the Smart with a malfunction engine light at 2800 miles, I am worried the car won't handle the elevation change. The weather actually looks good & I can always check road conditions but actually looks sunny & dry, so not really worried about that, but I will be crossing a pass. I am mainly worried about driving at high speed on interstate mountain driving with everyone else! Give me some advice, this site is good for this.

#2 ·
I drive at altitude in the Wasatch mountains a lot with no trouble. Not quite as high as Winter Park, but the smart does fine over passes of about 9,000 ft elevation. I never notice any loss of power as elevation changes and the computer seems to adjust mixture and timing just fine for the thin air and extended climbing. I wouldn't hesitate to take if over passes in your area (where I used to live).

Not going to be the fastest pass climber on the road, and sometimes in the front range there people really go fast up passes and ride your tail if you're a bit slower (I notice that in my Jeep especially). You see some of the same kind of driving on passes to and from Park City here and I don't have trouble keeping up in the smart. The short wheel base and quick turning of the smart make mountain driving a pleasure in my experience.

#3 ·
Glogal, there is a Colorado smart group on smartusainsider.com, COSMOS. They have driven to Estes Park, Mt Evans and various other places in the mountains. When I've asked I've been told they did quite well in the mountains so you should be fine going up to Winter Park. You may want to drive your smart in manual mode as you go up to the Eisenhower Tunnel and on most of the hills. Otherwise just drive it in manual mode.

As far as keeping up, if you have to slow down just move over to the slow lane and let everyone pass you. I've had to do that in other cars we've owned when driving up I-70. I really don't think Berthoud Pass will give you any troubles. Just drive at a speed your comfortable with.

Are you planning to attend the Smart Nationals in Westminster this summer? They are planning a drive on the Peak to Peak Highway ending in Estes Park. Since your local I hope we get to see and meet you there.

Have a fun trip to Winter Park. I really like going up there but haven't had a chance in several years.

#4 ·
We live at 5200 feet and our 450 does just fine going higher or lower with two aboard and the luggage area full. Since we never have snow, our roads wind more and are steeper than those in Colorado, so you will do just fine. I assume that you have resolved the engine malfunction problem and that all is working as it should.

#6 ·
To answer the original question, I ask a return question: are you under the assumption that, if you don't drive to the mountains, that they will drive to you? No, i didn't think so. Go, have fun! You will know after the trip if it is something you should or shouldn't do again (but i don't think you will regret going)

#7 ·
I decided at the last minute not to take the Smart. Decided to take my Rav4 & it was a good thing because it started snowing Saturday night all night long. The drive down Berthoud Pass was a mess! The pass was closed today. Per my previous posts, this is NOT the car for me!

#8 ·
I'm really sorry that you feel the smart is not the car for you. I hope that if you decide to sell your smart that you find him a great forever home. These little cars love driving in the snow, per many smart owners that live in snow country. You do have to be careful of the snow depth. Even a 4 wheel drive vehicle can get stuck in the right conditions.

#11 ·
Wow, you guys are quick to condemn aren't you? "If he doesn't wanta drive it up a mountain then he should get rid of it!"

Come on people. :-(

Besides, I did not see an honest reply to his question. Yes, he can drive it in the mountains, just be prepared to travel at 40 mph at 5000 rpm in 3rd gear on the steeper parts of the climb. I drove my 09 Passon to Illinois and took it over the mountains in West Virginia on I-64 and my car (with me aboard (180 lbs, and 1 suitcase) dropped down to 45 or 50 after getting a run at 75 or 80 mph at the mountains. It made it over the top, but there was a lot of high revs at a slow speed to keep going at a decent pace. While I have not driven a smart to the top of Mt. Evans I did drive a Pontiac Van to the top of it, I would expect the smart to be ablle to get to the top of Evans although at a very slow speed.

For those who don't know,is in Colorado and Mount Evans is in Colorado and is the Highest Paved Road in North America (14,265 feet ). Take a coat and start early :)

#13 ·
Sorry you feel that way about your car. Provided you have snow tires, the smart will go pretty much anywhere your RAV4 will go. I have taken our smart all the way to Las Vegas and back. As for the pass, I've done Berthoud Pass many times, and Loveland pass as well. The car does just fine. Sorry you had a bad experience with your car, that is not a common occurance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.