Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Am in 2 minds about switching out my headlights for HIDs (or maybe LEDs if you think they are a better bet?)

From what I understand HIDs are brighter and deliver what I am looking for, but I have heard LEDs are cheaper to run and last way longer, while producing even brighter results? Not sure which is best to go for...am leaning HIDs as I've heard some bad things about LED kits etc., but not sure if I'm making the right decision with that?

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Hi folks,

Am in 2 minds about switching out my headlights for HIDs (or maybe LEDs if you think they are a better bet?)

From what I understand HIDs are brighter and deliver what I am looking for, but I have heard LEDs are cheaper to run and last way longer, while producing even brighter results? Not sure which is best to go for...am leaning HIDs as I've heard some bad things about LED kits etc., but not sure if I'm making the right decision with that?
HID's are the best bang for the buck :)

How will this affect incoming drivers? Will it blind them?
A simple adjustment takes care of that :D

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
The HID light thing has been discussed here on several posts. You can use the google search to find them here on the forum. There's alot of good info and particular recomendations for what to use to get the best for your money on the 451. Neon can also give some good advice on HID's. I am having trouble using the google search this morning or I could be more specific. DCO

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you want bang for your buck, buy a basic set from ddmtuning.com. My last smart had these, and I just ordered a pair for my current smart. (35W 5000k H7) I also use them on my other car. For $29 plus shipping with a lifetime warranty, can't go wrong!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input everyone - reckon I will probably go for HIDs based on your suggestions.

Will also check out the ddm kit you mentioned. Any other recommendations i should check out?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone - reckon I will probably go for HIDs based on your suggestions.

Will also check out the ddm kit you mentioned. Any other recommendations i should check out?
DDM 55watt with 6000k is the best in terms of aftermarket, unless you get OEM take-off ballasts. 6000k at 55watts is closer to 5000k at 35watts, so they are white, not blue.

I have DDM's in my 2015 ED and they are superb.

·
Registered
80 Posts
4300K color temperature has the highest lumen output which is a measure of the lighting capability of the source. Higher temperatures are bluer but light output is lower. Same for lower color temperatures.

Charlie

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
4300K color temperature has the highest lumen output which is a measure of the lighting capability of the source. Higher temperatures are bluer but light output is lower. Same for lower color temperatures.

Charlie
It's also the Federal mandated color temp.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I guess i am in the minority, but i absolutely DETEST HID lights. For ,me. the glare from those things blinds me. I can't stand when they are behind me, i can;t stand them coming from the opposite direction. It's not an aiming problem, because OEM HID's are just as bad as retrofits. The color and intensity of those things just hurts my eyes. :(:(:(:(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts