Smart Car of America Forum banner

Sila Concept exhaust

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  dubcc 
#1 · (Edited)
I received my Sila Concepts exhaust today. Everything looks great, tig welds are pretty good (I’m a welder so I’m picky), I’m excited to put the exhaust on my brabus.

I inspected the exhaust / welds further and I may have found some hair line cracks in the middle of the tig welds. I rubbed them down a little and the “crack” seemed to disappear a little. I can’t put a finger nail or anything in it.

I’m just wondering if any of you think it’s a crack? I’m not sure what else it would be. If I shine a light on it, it basically disappears, vice versa with natural light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#6 ·
Hi, I've been involved in welding for fifty years and the welds look a little suspicious to me. You've got great pictures. I would contact Sila Concepts, sent them the pictures, and get their opinion. I feel the weld profile should be flatter. You could get a dye penetrant test kit and check them. I think the welds may have cooled to quickly.

#7 ·
Thanks for your reply. I’m not sure what happened with the welds. The lines are very strange to me. I don’t believe they are cracks though. You’re right, it looks like they could have used more heat.

In a hast, I installed the exhaust, and I’m very happy with it. It’s definitely noticeable, but not embarrassingly so. It’s throaty and has a grunt at lower speeds. It makes some good low throaty noise when accelerating normally from a stop. When you get on it it’s not as loud, but definitely audible. All in all am very happy with the exhaust. I’ll be sad to sell the smart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.