Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is just a quick video review of the SILA raw aluminum cold air intake. No real effects were done and it was just something I wanted to do so enjoy!

Sincerely,
Brett

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Thanks, Brett! I found this very informative and useful. Definitely puts some spin on choice. The breather nipple and the change in design from the item shown as far as the decorative holes around the back of the air filter containment can was surprising to me! If you wanted to return that on the grounds that the product you received vs what was shown and advertised, I would say you have grounds, unless you are happy with the item.
Excellent video, great content. Truth in analysis. Thanks so much. We all could use more video's like yours! THANKS A MILLION!
Rich

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your comments Rich. I truly appreciate them! As for the decorative holes, I would have liked them, but it isn't a deal breaker for me. I was a bit upset that the breather was not flush with the pipe like the factory. I wouldn't return the product on either of those grounds, but what is stunning to me is that the side air outlet does not stay hanging on the filter shroud like shown on the Smart Madness website and instead, hangs down allowing the colder air from the side vent to go under the filter housing rather than into the filter. I am sorry to say that unless I get an explanation from Smart Madness, I see an AFE filter with a silicone tube a better sealed and colder air system than this, but then again, before I make any judgments, I want to hear from the good team at Smart Madness. Again, thank you for your feedback as that will help me improve on my future videos.

Sincerely,
Brett

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you look at the design, the holes are for looks, not functionality. The filter shroud only has three holes and those three holes are for the bolts to bolt it onto the pipe. The multiple holes that adds a cool look are not open and would not bring more hot air into the engine compartment.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
great video!
my stock air box on my 08 came off relatively easy as i remember, certainly didnt have to break anything. your the first i heard that had to go to that extreme.
are you sure the other end of the air transfer tube is connected securely, maybe it came loose with your box removeal efforts?
and i thought i heard boris talk abut the updated version you have w/o the "bleed" holes, its better. (althou i could be wrong.)
i haven seen that paticular stub issue, my SM cai has a grommet on the tube that the hose end sticks into maybe 1/2"
good video.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Don for you excellent comments. My garage has any tool imaginable and I tried everything to get that darn bolt off, but seeing as it had a rubber grommet and I doubt I was ever going to put the silencer back on, I just broke a smidget of plastic and pulled it off the bolt which allowed me to get to the bolt from the left side after the silencer was removed. I never read anything about Boris saying anything about the version without the "bleed holes." I went out and checked the cold air outlet and it is still in place and was not damaged by my removal efforts. I might go to my old High School's machine shop and get an aluminum spacer made in the shape of an "o" with three holes in it to extend the shroud, but there shouldn't be any more effort than putting on the new cold air intake. As mentioned about the grommet, I might cut the excess off inside the tube seeing as how it is pretty big inside the tube and the excess is not needed.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
i thought i heard boris say that at a event.
dont cut you stock parts just yet , you may want it later on. the minute restriction in the tube wont hurt that much.

when i was fabbing the fcf v-2 i used 4" kd duct for the body then i found some pvc, sliced in a ring that fit inside for the strength to keep it round. its amazing what you can do.

·
For sale pm for details
2,033 Posts
its an 08 thats the easier of the two air boxes! At least you got it off they can be a pain at times.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sadly, I couldn't make it to any event Boris was in, seeing as how are distances are so far apart. I only made that one notch in the stock part to get it off the bolt. I am not going to touch any stock part, but I hope to hear some advice from you or Boris or anybody else as to how I may be able to hold the side cold air outlet on the shroud of the cold air intake. As for the restriction, if I decide to take off the CAI, I might as well cut the little excess breather nipple off.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree turbo that they are pains as times. I bet I seized the bolt when I was washing out my engine with engine degunker and a hose every other week and the water probably stayed on the threads of the bolt causing the bolt to seize. I was about to get a saws all and cut it off, but my mother's boyfriend who is a wizard saw the rubber grommet and decided to pull the silencer off that way. Thankfully, I didn't have the 09 because I would have probably taken the saws all to it like a few people did on SCOA.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is parallel to what I am thinking, but to make it look a wee bit better, I am going to ask around or have my High School Machine shop cut out a piece of aluminum for me since we just spent so much money on a machine that can do that. If not, I will go back to my former place of employment and have them come up with an idea seeing as how I used to work with only the best designers and engineers around and we had multimillion dollar pieces of equipment that would do the job as well. So much thought for something that should be set it and forget it.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haha always a good place to work. My mother's boyfriend and I did the job just a hair out of our garage so we could get more sunlight in the engine compartment to see what we were doing. Shady trees are always good too, especially if they are fruit trees. Yum!

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I called the guys over at Smart Madness which really turned my day around since I was kicked out of my former High School today because of stupid rent-a-cops. Anyhow, they informed me of a few techniques which I might try and why the current design is the way it is. I might end up cutting the inside barb to reduce the amount of barb in the way of passing through air. I am going to probably remove my air intake and cut some of the barb and remove the side pipe and heat gun the oval into more of a circle and angle the air outlet itself more upward to aim into the cold air intake. If nothing works, then I guess I will have to wait until the next redesign of the product. I hope, when the redesign comes, I could possibly trade my old one in for store credit, but I doubt it. Thank you again Smart Madness, you never cease to make me happy.

In the meantime, the next 10 minute video will be uploaded within the hour for you all to enjoy.

·
Registered
73 Posts
SILA CAI -Smart Madness

Brett,

Great video! It was a pleasure talking to you earlier. As I said, keep an eye out for new products from SILA. We are still working on getting a silicone hose to couple with the SILA canister. Genius and SILA intakes both have that identical barbed nylon fitting at that length because of risk of the hose detaching from a shorter fitting; which do not come barbed. If you like we can send you a shorter barb, but we don't recommend it; nor do we advise cutting the SILA fitting. Your recommendations are all gladly appreciated.

For those who are curious about the bellowed side tube, SILA decided to keep it at higher angle due to clearance during shifting and acceleration.

Here is an example of our quick fix in the meantime until the silicone hose is done:

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think after you not recommending cutting it or putting on a smaller barb, I believe it will not make that much of a difference. I might do your quick fix, but I will keep my eye on future products as you stated. It was a pleasure talking to you over the phone as well. If you could do a bit of R&D on extending the shroud or the hose about .5" closer to the cold air outlet, I can almost guarantee that it will solve the issue of the unmodified stock outlet from dropping below the shroud. Hope to see some awesome updates!

1 - 20 of 92 Posts