Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,387 Posts
I don't believe so; there have been a couple of posts encouraging our supporting vendors to come up with one but nothing's happened yet. :)

·
Super Moderator
29,387 Posts
Hey hey hey... hold on now...

Something is in the works ;)

Buy some more S Mann kits, people. You're funding my silicon hose building endeavors!
Sorry, didn't know you were on this. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. :cool:

·
Banned
4,883 Posts
I'll be totally honest here... I have this intake on my smart right now along with a KN drop in filter in the stock box...

I could tell a gain when I installed the KN originally with the stock intake...

I could tell a gain when I installed my DTH single tip exhaust....

I could tell a major gain when I upgraded to the Smart Madness stainless steel intake with the conical KN filter on the end...

I could tell a MAJOR loss when I had to remove that intake and replace it with this intake piping. I don't get the bite in the lower gears anymore... and it feels less than when I had the stock piping on there with just the KN filter.

I'll be returning to the upgraded Smart Madness intake as soon as I financially can. It's worth the money.

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
..wdhitch...I can follow your gains by your post..but lost it about this piping...
...did you gain any by using the piping called for by Jim Dantin?

jetfuel

·
Banned
4,883 Posts
No... it fells worse than a stock setup... I have the silicone intake from Europe that is linked in the second post along with the drop in KN filter... it feels worse than the stock setup... As soon as I can afford to I'm replacing it. :mad:

·
Banned
4,883 Posts
Hey hey hey... hold on now...

Something is in the works ;)

Buy some more S Mann kits, people. You're funding my silicon hose building endeavors!
smartune,

Good that something is in the works but PLEASE design it better... the one form Europe linked in this post doesn't do a whole lot except give it a color coded intake... the performance side of it leaves the world to be desired.

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
No... it fells worse than a stock setup... I have the silicone intake from Europe that is linked in the second post along with the drop in KN filter... it feels worse than the stock setup... As soon as I can afford to I'm replacing it. :mad:
...thanks bud....appreciated....

jetfuel:cool:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would purchase a replacement intake pipe like the one in the OP's link to Wellsmart, assuming that it will cost less than $50.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I don't want to pee on your chips guys, but the silicone hoses you are on about have been used in Europe for ages, and they are not that impressive, a lot that have used them have swapped back to stock, they have a tendancy to leak or come off as they don't fit and stay on very well, and the advantage of them is questional at best anyway.
There are better mods out there to spend your bucks on, save your money and buy something more useful.
I know you all want to get your smarts as good as you can get, so if I see something that crops up for you guys that we have already come across in Europe, I try to make you aware of it to save you the heartache we have had.
Hope this helps.
Ellis.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't want to pee on your chips guys, but the silicone hoses you are on about have been used in Europe for ages, and they are not that impressive, a lot that have used them have swapped back to stock, they have a tendancy to leak or come off as they don't fit and stay on very well, and the advantage of them is questional at best anyway.
There are better mods out there to spend your bucks on, save your money and buy something more useful.
I know you all want to get your smarts as good as you can get, so if I see something that crops up for you guys that we have already come across in Europe, I try to make you aware of it to save you the heartache we have had.
Hope this helps.
Ellis.
Errm I'd try and get your facts right 1st!

Most of the issues have been with incorrect fitting, hose clips not done up tight etc. There have been many dyno runs which show an increase in torque and BHP. Simple logic confirms that increased air flow from the air box to the throttle body will improve performance.

WDHitch, how clean is the K&N they tend to clog pretty quick so maybe a clean out & re-oil would help?

Kate

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Oh Hi Kate from Las Vegas and SW England, you are not the Kate from Wellsmart, IN SW England by any chance?, that just happens to sell said silicone hoses. :D

·
Banned
4,883 Posts
Errm I'd try and get your facts right 1st!

Most of the issues have been with incorrect fitting, hose clips not done up tight etc. There have been many dyno runs which show an increase in torque and BHP. Simple logic confirms that increased air flow from the air box to the throttle body will improve performance.

WDHitch, how clean is the K&N they tend to clog pretty quick so maybe a clean out & re-oil would help?

Kate

Filter was brand new.

Silicone intake cannot compare to the smart madness intake. Sorry for the short fragments... Sending from iphone

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yep I'm from WellSmart, never pretended not to be on here!

The hose was designed by ourselves and Ian from BIG Performance in conjunction with Mocal.

WDhitch, not too sure what else to say as this is the 1st time we have had negative feedback on them and even this hasn't been fed back directly to us. It maybe as it was swapped into your car after you had the larger intake not as a straight swap from the std one it 'feels' worse than it really is?!

There is a link here Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia for a review by Kane from Evilution for the air intake pipe on the original fortwo, hardly the damming review as claimed above!

Kate

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Headless - Kate. You both mention pipe leaking/clips not done up tight enough.
This is a total non issue on a non turbo car.

However I do agree that physics dictates that a wider smoother bore will reduce air drag so should not decrease performance at all. The main difference is the old pipe has the resonator chamber which also gives a little bit of air buffering when the filter isn't flowing as well as it should. Losing the resonators could make the car feel different (smoother with a decent filter) which could be mistaken for a reduction of power.

I totally agree with losing the resonators and think that the Wellsmart/BIG/Mocal pipe does a great job (although I have got a better design that I'm working on :D)

·
Registered
136 Posts
"I don't want to pee on your chips guys, but the silicone hoses you are on about have been used in Europe for ages, and they are not that impressive, a lot that have used them have swapped back to stock, they have a tendancy to leak or come off as they don't fit and stay on very well, and the advantage of them is questional at best anyway."

They only come off IF fitted badly.
As for "questional" I think you might mean questionABLE but these are a performance modification, they flow more air than stock AND unlike stainless steel or alloy air intakes will not suffer from heat soak.

As for "alot that have used them have swapped back to stock" I have never had one returned even though I have a full money back policy on ALL my products.
Peter from GSR is working with me on the next stage of air intakes for the 61bhp and 71bhp versions to see IF any improvements can be made but at this stage nothing has improved.
I develop products NOT just sell them!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts