Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dump your car, keep it until the wheels fall off?

I estimate my car (loaded 2016 m/t Prime) with 12,000 miles was worth around 9k before the news hit. After I have no idea...

Resale will only grow worse as time wears on.

I may keep mine until I can get a firesale price on a 17 Prime m/t.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
There are enough cars around that they will still be sold on the secondary market for years. With the knowledge on here, they will probably be running for 20-30 more years. In the mean time, we will see what comes up in the way of new cars.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Looking to buy a 16 or 17 manual (stick shift) Cabriolet in a year or two.
I think a true stick shift would be fun to drive.
Back in 1995 my daily driver was a 1992 Mitsubishi 3000 twin turbo 5 speed.
When I visited my sister in Vegas I rented a 2 door GEO Metro 5 speed, I called the egg car.
It was one of the smoothest and easiest shifting car I ever drove. Granted you banged through all 5 gears before you reached 60 mph but it was fun. Far smoother shifting than my 3000 OR Ford SHO. Paddle shifters just don't cut for me. I take a gear shift on the floor and a clutch pedal any day over paddles.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Smart has always been a 'true' manual transmission with a computer controlled shift. In manual mode, it can be shifted with paddles, or with the floor shift. The computer operated the clutch via a clutch actuator so there does not need to be a clutch pedal, which I doubt there would be room for on the floor.

I can only assume you are talking about a DCT on the new 453 which does have a clutch pedal on the floor' I have not driven one so I have no opinion as to their operation but word has it they are quick. and fun to drive.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Smart has always been a 'true' manual transmission with a computer controlled shift. In manual mode, it can be shifted with paddles, or with the floor shift. The computer operated the clutch via a clutch actuator so there does not need to be a clutch pedal, which I doubt there would be room for on the floor.

I can only assume you are talking about a DCT on the new 453 which does have a clutch pedal on the floor' I have not driven one so I have no opinion as to their operation but word has it they are quick. and fun to drive.
Jim, I bought my first smart in 2011 and was a member then and now have my second smart I was pretty well aware of the drive train components including the Mitsubishi motor and Getrag "automated manual" gearbox before I bought my first smart.
To me manual means you do the manual shifting of the gears.
The "computer automated manual" is like telling someone you are going to clean the house then paying some else to clean for you.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
This has come up many times in discussions with new smart owners online as well as in person. They are led to believe since there is no clutch pedal, it is an automatic and wonder why it has that hesitation (gear shifting) until they understand that is is a MANUAL transmission and does have a clutch and pressure plate between the transmission and the motor. Once they understand that it is a automated manual transmission, their expectations change immensely. MB does not do themselves or the new owners any good by calling it an automatic. it is what it is.

A true AUTOMATIC uses a fluid drive coupling and doesn't have a clutch. That is my opinion and I stand by it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am a member of a large group of people that use SC's for transportation and haul them with us in our RV travels. Many of us have ordered new cars and will use them for years to come. We get about 20-40 cars at the bigger rally's.

Here is the spec on the 2017 that should be here in April

SmartCar - fortwo Prime Coupe
A05 - Prime Package
P30 - Touchscreen Package for Prime
P50 - BRABUS Sport Package
ECA - Bodypanels in Black
429 - Twinamic 6-Speed OCT
877 - Ambient Lighting
723 - Retractable Cargo Cover
J59 - Armrest
810 - JBL Soundsystem

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Looking to buy a 16 or 17 manual (stick shift) Cabriolet in a year or two.
I think a true stick shift would be fun to drive.
Back in 1995 my daily driver was a 1992 Mitsubishi 3000 twin turbo 5 speed.
When I visited my sister in Vegas I rented a 2 door GEO Metro 5 speed, I called the egg car.
It was one of the smoothest and easiest shifting car I ever drove. Granted you banged through all 5 gears before you reached 60 mph but it was fun. Far smoother shifting than my 3000 OR Ford SHO. Paddle shifters just don't cut for me. I take a gear shift on the floor and a clutch pedal any day over paddles.
I had the paddle shifters and installed the Boschbuilt shifters on both my '08 & '09 smarts, now have 2 '16s, my wife's is the automatic and mine has the manual. Neither are Cabriolets, I do enjoy the shifting for myself as
most of my 49 years as a driver has been with stickshift vehicles. 3 VW bugs, 2 Toyota pickups, 1 Opel Kadett, a Geo Metro, 1Toyota Corolla station wagon and 1 Nissan Xterra, all manual transmissions.
I know all the talk about smarts always being a manual transmission and all that but if a computer does the shifting is it really a manual? Most of the time I used the paddles or the floor shifter in manual mode on my '08, the wife drove the '09.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
In my opinion, if a car has a clutch that has to be disengaged and engaged, it is a manual . if it has no clutch, it is an automatic. That makes a smart a manual transmission with an automatic mode. But you can call it whatever makes you happy.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I am a member of a large group of people that use SC's for transportation and haul them with us in our RV travels. Many of us have ordered new cars and will use them for years to come. We get about 20-40 cars at the bigger rally's.

Here is the spec on the 2017 that should be here in April

SmartCar - fortwo Prime Coupe
A05 - Prime Package
P30 - Touchscreen Package for Prime
P50 - BRABUS Sport Package
ECA - Bodypanels in Black
429 - Twinamic 6-Speed OCT
877 - Ambient Lighting
723 - Retractable Cargo Cover
J59 - Armrest
810 - JBL Soundsystem

Nice, is that the RV Haulers rig out of Alberta?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Considering how long it took me to finally find the smart I really wanted (started in 2007) and only bought one in Jan of 2017 I plan on keeping it. I didn't know this was going to happen at the time, and honestly it wouldn't have changed anything.

We keep our vehicles for very long periods of time, we currently have an 80, a couple of 86s, 99, 00, 05 and now my newest the 10 smart. I prefer to do as much of my own work as possible though we have a trusted shop that does the major work and my smart just went in for an oil change.

What is very interesting is that it was over due by about 1500km based on the service interval in the dash monitor and the oil was dark. Once I got the car back it drove completely differently, much better, better power and slightly different shifting which I found interesting. Does a service reset reset the transmission as well? Wouldn't have thought so but it shifts differently or does the computer start to put the car into a 'baby' mode if you are past the 15,000km interval for an oil change. Btw 15,000 seems really high considering we typically do 5,000 to 6,000 between changes.

I had been looking at a 450 since we have lots up here but one thing worries me and that is some that are having problems with their SAMs and connectors corroding or over heating causing the connection to fail. I suspect part of the problem is that we put a lot of salt on our roads and this just destroys cars up here. As an example my 00 Saturn does not get winter driven and it looks brand new underneath. Our 99 does and even with yearly oil sprays and rubberized undercoat has a fair bit or rust including brake lines that rusted out last summer. This new brine solution we are using seems to get into everything and sticks causing a lot more rust then I remember salt causing plus the added problem of breathing this fine powered in once it dries and gets airborne.

We have bit of a scandal going on at the moment and it might mean that the EV credit we have in Ontario might change so I might take a long look at an EV smart before things really change. Otherwise I'll just stick with my 451.

·
Registered
333 Posts
In my opinion, if a car has a clutch that has to be disengaged and engaged, it is a manual . if it has no clutch, it is an automatic. That makes a smart a manual transmission with an automatic mode. But you can call it whatever makes you happy.
Ahhh but most automatics these days have a clutch!
It's called a lock-up torque converter!

Just playing devil's advocate >:D

~toaster

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Ahhh but most automatics these days have a clutch!
It's called a lock-up torque converter!

Just playing devil's advocate >:D

~toaster
BUT... it is called a TORQUE CONVERTER and not a clutch. most torque converters started out as a fluid coupling device... but then my age is showing I guess... and now, back to the subject at hand....

1 - 20 of 57 Posts