Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sinkhole Collapses in Skydome

We received a call at 5:44am from our security company alerting us of our motion detectors going off in our Skydome area of the Museum. Upon arrival it was discovered that a sinkhole had collapsed within the Museum. No one was in or around the Museum at the time. The Bowling Green Fire Department arrived on the scene and secured the area. The Fire Department has estimated the size of the hole is 40 feet across and 25-30 feet deep.
It is with heavy hearts that we report that eight Corvettes were affected by this incident. Those cars include:

1993 ZR-1 Spyder on loan from General Motors
2009 ZR1 “Blue Devil” on loan from General Motors

The other six vehicles were owned by the National Corvette Museum including:

1962 Black Corvette
1984 PPG Pace Car
1992 White 1 Millionth Corvette
1993 Ruby Red 40th Anniversary Corvette
2001 Mallett Hammer Z06 Corvette
2009 White 1.5 Millionth Corvette

None of the cars affected were on loan from individuals.

:(

National Corvette Museum: Sinkhole Collapses at National Corvette Museum

·
17,346 Posts
The remaining cars in the room are being moved to a safer location.

Maybe they can restore the wrecked ones if it comes down to it? Rowan Atkinson sliced his McLaren F1 in half and still got it rebuilt. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They will probably be rebuilt if at all possible - with lots of $$$. The two ZR-1s are unique so that may be a different story. Hopefully, the NCM is fully insured. :)

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
They will probably be rebuilt if at all possible - with lots of $$$. The two ZR-1s are unique so that may be a different story. Hopefully, the NCM is fully insured. :)
The 62, 84, and 93 could probably be replaced. Those were production cars(although probably in low numbers). The others are one-offs that will have to be rebuilt or scrapped. You can't get another 1 millionth or 1.5 millionth Vette...:(

Really sad. That is a great mueseum. Been a long time since I've been there, but it was a neat place to visit. I'm not a big Vette fan, but I do appreciate what they are, and what they stand for.

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The drone video is interesting - looks like there is some sort of underground vault or something that should have been caught before the structure was built. The blue ZR-1 looks pretty good considering; the others (that can be seen), not so much.

If this had happened a few hours later that place would have been full of people... :eek:

·
17,346 Posts
The drone video is interesting - looks like there is some sort of underground vault or something that should have been caught before the structure was built. The blue ZR-1 looks pretty good considering; the others (that can be seen), not so much.

If this had happened a few hours later that place would have been full of people... :eek:
The ZR-1 looks like it just rode its platform down. Might need a new panel at the most. I'd probably say the C1 on the left probably got out with little damage as well. The toppled C4 is most definitely recoverable...but might need to be rebuilt depending on the condition of the roof...

I'd be most concerned with the orange one that went down in the first collapse. Not only did it topple, but it probably got even more crap stacked on top in the second collapse.

The earth doesn't want those old inefficient cars so it decided to swallow them. :eek: :D
I'm sure you're probably joking, but I'll play anyway. For a sportscar, the Corvette is actually quite efficient. The C6 and the C7 Corvettes are able to achieve 30 MPG highway fuel economy and not too much worse in the city.

And to top it off, they're built with more recyclable materials (either intentionally or otherwise) than many other sportscars... :)

Of course though, I'm certain you were joking. :D

·
17,346 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update on NCM recovery

Timeline Set for Sinkhole Repair and Car Recovery

During a press conference today on Corvette Boulevard, Mike Murphy with Scott, Murphy & Daniel construction provided an update and timeline on the work to be done.

Highlights of the press conference include:

- This is very common for this area, what's not common is for a sinkhole to swallow eight Corvettes.
- It is repairable. The building foundation and structure is in good condition.
- They will be securing the sinkhole and surrounding areas to ensure that even if we have sinkholes on the property in the future it will not affect the Museum.
- It will take 2-3 weeks to stabilize and secure the area (red spire, walls of the sinkhole) then the process of vehicle recovery will begin.
- They will be making sure the sinkhole is safe and that no further damage will occur before starting vehicle recovery.
- It will take 4-6 days to retrieve the vehicles
- After that, they will replace earth and the floor system
- They have a good plan and it takes action tomorrow with no problems foreseen

"We are confident that it will be done in time for the Museum's 20th Anniversary Celebration in August. You won't even know that this has happened," said Wendell Strode, Museum Executive Director.
Chevrolet to Oversee Restoration of Historic Corvettes

To help the National Corvette Museum recover from the massive sink hole, Chevrolet will be overseeing restoration of the Corvettes damaged. The process will be managed by General Motors Design in Warren, Mich.

“The vehicles at the National Corvette Museum are some of the most significant in automotive history,” said Mark Reuss, executive vice president of General Motors Global Product Development. “There can only be one 1-millionth Corvette ever built. We want to ensure as many of the damaged cars are restored as possible so fans from around the world can enjoy them.”

The restoration will be overseen by Ed Welburn, vice president of GM Global Design.

When the cars are recovered, they will be shipped to the Mechanical Assembly facility, a small specialty shop within GM Design, where the best restoration approach will be determined. Mechanical Assembly has been part of GM Design since the 1930s, and today maintains and restores many of the vehicles in the GM Heritage Collection and GM’s historic concept cars.
:)

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Not sure which one I'd choose: Sinkhole De Mayo (props if you get the reference) or having an amphibious smart... :naughty:

Neon!
Since you are so intent on bringing up this subject again and again, I hope that if this instigates a perpetration of an amphibious event, that it happens in your neighborhood not mine if you catch my drift.
It would be best not to mention or revisit said amphibious link. Thanking you in advance, Rich
p.s. I know how much you and I both love our cars, and an amphibious event for either of us would be of the worst kind. Let sleeping dogs lie. Puhlease! Cow tipping is bad enough.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts