Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 08 Smart Passion and the first time I drove it from the dealer I got 435 miles @ 50 mpg from a full tank and that was pretty much the last time I got that kinda gas milege. Love the car and I'm changing the plugs tomorrow in hope that's one of the causing factors. Don't wanna get rid of it cause it has a super cool factor and I get more looks in it than I do in my customized SRT8 MAGNUM, but the reason I bought it was for the gas mileage cause I commute 120 miles per day, but for the declining mpg, I can get something with back seats and still get 40mpg. Just venting I guess, but I'm not even getting 350 miles from a full tank anymore.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Worn ignition points won't help. See if the spark plugs make a difference. They're due to be changed every 30k if you're using stock plugs.

On another note, I never saw 435 miles from one smart car tank full of gas. Consider yourself lucky. The best mpg's I've ever recorded is 46, and that's during a limited period of time with favorable everything. Gas, terrain, weather, traffic, etc,.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks, changing plugs tomorrow anyway and really hope that it helps with my mpg. Premium always and 93 here in Atlanta.

·
Super Moderator
11,218 Posts
I have seen my wife on numerous occasions driving up to the cabin (230 miles each way) get in the 50MPG range and the best I can do is 46.

If you sit down and do the math, the difference in 40 vs 50 mpg is not that much over say a month of driving (even at 120 miles per day) the big difference is the running costs, that is figuring in vehicle price (depreciation) and wear and tear, maint costs, etc which are all relativly low on a smart. Then there is that cool or different factor....

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
38 mpg is the best we've ever gotten in almost 6 years. Just what the manufacture claims too. Installed new plugs twice now. Use 91 octane. The best we can get here.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Best I get is 51 mpg but that's when I out to the Dragon. The roads I take are primarily 55 mph and minimal stop lights. My mpg tends to go down over 60 mph and hill country.

·
Super Moderator
11,218 Posts
Just a note about spark plugs. When I changed mine, my Mileage did go down for the first few tanks after changing them. It did go back up after that, I assumed it was a computer adjusting itself as I did get an error code before I changed the plugs.

For me, I picked up a ScangaugeII which helped me 'learn' how to drive the car and get the best MPG I could. it seemed to help, but I had to change how I drove. Your results could be different depending on local terrain, weather, and traffic.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I've gotten 46.5 mpg half on country roads, half at 80 mph. Also seen 46 mpg commuting on a tank with warm temps and some traffic jams.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Here's mine from day 1 :)

Best EVER 49.9 (only once!)

Lifetime average 41mpg :D

(click on to see all fills )

As you can see...best I've ever done on a tank is 381 miles !!

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Is is everyone, looking at instant milage, or tank to tank. My car will get those high mpg, looking at instant milage. Any car will.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Is is everyone, looking at instant milage, or tank to tank. My car will get those high mpg, looking at instant milage. Any car will.
My lifetime average is right at 43 mpg. I always average over many tanks. I've seen a high of 48 mpg, and the lowest tank ever was 28 mpg(that was on the way to the 2010 Nationals, I got a really bad tank of gas). But on my daily commute, I can pretty much bank on 43.5 without fail. If I take it easy, I get 45, usually it drops to 41 in the winter.

·
17,350 Posts
There's a wide range of fuel economy on this board. Some members easily break 50mpg (Unicycle) while others can barely break 40.

There are so many variables to consider that I cannot possibly list them all.

Look at your lifetime fuel economy average. Unless there's some huge difference between your fuel economy now vs. when you took delivery, it's probably doing ok. Especially if it's within the EPA range or higher. :)

My first ever tank of fuel was 35 MPG. It went exactly 300 miles before whining about needing fuel.

My worst ever tanks were a recent one at 33 MPG (snowpocalypse) and in Red Wing in 2012 at 33 MPG. I was redlining it up and down those beautiful bluffs with a complete disregard for fuel economy. :naughty:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Cold temps KILL M.P.G.!!.................

In both my smarts,a 2008 and a 2013.I have noted extreme cold drop the
M.P.G. by 3 to 5MPG!! Only explanation I can think of is the computer throws more fuel on the fire,when intake temps are low. I always observe the best MPG during the heat of summer...........................

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well got two of the three plugs out and right out the box the gap is way off, the plugs have a 65 gap on them and the #2 plug was draped in oil. The new plugs are gaped at 35 like there supposed to be and i'm working on plug #1 right now as its pretty difficult to get to because of the hose.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,076 Posts
Winter blend fuel and cold temps will certainly drop your mileage this time of year, but those plugs sound like they definitely need changed. Make sure the air filter looks good while you're at it. If you've got some miles on it, consider running some SeaFoam before you're next oil change in the gas and oil and then add some MMO to your fresh oil and a bit in the gas over a few tanks to clean everything out. They're my favorite snake oils. ;-)

I can see 50 mpg tanks under perfect conditions, but my lifetime average is 44.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry for the late response, but I was caught between changing plugs and the NFL Playoffs. The car has 80k on it and I bought it with 75k on it and have had no problems thus far other than declining mpg. I use MMO on every fill up too, love the stuff. All the plugs are changed and will monitor the mpg during my commute this week and see if theres any change.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts