Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that I don't have to convince any of my fellow Smart ED owners of the primary needs for our cars; higher capacity, lower cost batteries. But I would like to make a note about cost and function.

I bought the Smart ED for two reasons (1) its size and (2) its power train. I'd actually stayed away from buying a Smart ICE because of the power train, even though I wanted one. Now that we've heard that M-B will be debuting a 6-speed manual (even if not in the US), I am considering getting one (even if I have to import it).

For me the consideration more on SIZE than cost. I would gladly pay 2-3x more for a Smart ED, if I could get the power train, range, and fast charging of a Tesla S. I've been able to maneuver while driving and park in spaces that are just not possible in any other vehicle.

Sure, sure, there's not much cargo space compared to a pickup truck or SUV, but for most of my daily needs (commuting / errands) the Smart is perfect.

:smartje.wt.zw: :smartje.bl.zl: :smartje.grs.zw: :smartje: :smartje.zw.zw:

·
Registered
646 Posts
And don't even think about trying to import a non-50 state-certified car. You would not believe the headaches in such an endeavor. Which is why "gray market cars" have disappeared from the American landscape.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You dont want.... this?

I already own a vehicle that is more than twice the length of the Smart. If I could have gotten it converted to an EV, I would have. I just don't have $80k to toss around like scrap paper.

What I want is a tiny car that is very fast and has a good range, but is still electric.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Agreed that size is the key.

This is why if the new smart is any larger than the current smart, I will most likely never buy one.

The older smart ForTwo, the 450, which was smaller than the current one, was probably the right size. I might still get one some day.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Yup, I think most people agree here.

I don't really mind the transmission or anything else right now, but I have yet to see a ICE + ED owner complain about the ED's awesome powertrain :p

According to sources, the next Smart won't be any longer but will be a couple of inches wider (which is OK with me). I'd love having better gas efficiency (no reason we can't reach Geo Metro levels! Ford Fiestas can oust us in MPG without a hybrid powertrain!) and options for a faster ICE, and a proper transmission would be icing on the cake either through true manual or true automatic.

·
Registered
491 Posts
For my needs, this Smart ForTwo ED is the perfect car. I don't ask for less or more. It's just perfect. I got it exclusively to go work. If someone gives me the Tesla as a gift, I'd sell it in a heart bit and buy 3 Smarts EDs. This is the best toy that I have bought in my life. Not even my Spanish guitar, my Canon DSLR camera, lenses, my tube stereo all these things combined or anything else gives me so much excitement as this little car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
For my needs, this Smart ForTwo ED is the perfect car. I don't ask for less or more. It's just perfect. I got it exclusively to go work. If someone gives me the Tesla as a gift, I'd sell it in a heart bit and buy 3 Smarts EDs. This is the best toy that I have bought in my life. Not even my Spanish guitar, my Canon DSLR camera, lenses, my tube stereo all these things combined or anything else gives me so much excitement as this little car.
I agree with you 100% about the fun factor of this car. It just makes you grin from ear to ear. And it fulfills the needs of most drivers up to 95% of the time. But...

GIVE YOURSELF A SHAKE MAN! :D You don't need 4 EDs! Keep the smart for your daily driver where size matters. Use the Tesla for long drives in the country with someone special. Lots of room in the trunk for your guitars, camera equipment, picnic basket ... Or better yet send that kind person who makes gifts of $100K cars my way - lol

Reality should never get in the way of fantasy.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I agree with you 100% about the fun factor of this car. It just makes you grin from ear to ear. And it fulfills the needs of most drivers up to 95% of the time. But...

GIVE YOURSELF A SHAKE MAN! :D You don't need 4 EDs! Keep the smart for your daily driver where size matters. Use the Tesla for long drives in the country with someone special. Lots of room in the trunk for your guitars, camera equipment, picnic basket ... Or better yet send that kind person who makes gifts of $100K cars my way - lol

Reality should never get in the way of fantasy.
I got you man! :D
Well, I was thinking to give one to my wife, one to my daughter and leave the third one charging while I use number 4. The 4 cars fit fine in my garage. We always can have at lease 2 fully charged all the time!:)
No more gasoline car for us!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got you man! :D
Well, I was thinking to give one to my wife, one to my daughter and leave the third one charging while I use number 4. The 4 cars fit fine in my garage. We always can have at lease 2 fully charged all the time!:)
No more gasoline car for us!
Well I suppose you could have all 4 in different colors. That way your wife and daughter can choose the smart to match their outfits.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Well I suppose you could have all 4 in different colors. That way your wife and daughter can choose the smart to match their outfits.
That will be a big fight about who gets the pink color!:D
Oh, my big problem also when I'm forced to drive it and I have to explain to my friends that it's my wife's or daughter's car and not mine:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts