Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. I did a quick search to find out what the charger size was for the new ED. We obviously have the 3.3 in our 2015 but found various references to 6.6 or 7.7 chargers for the 2017. Is that the case?

Just curious. We have noticed that we seem to do a lot of opportunity charging in shopping areas when we are out shopping or whatever. I can't help but think that with 6.6KW charging the need for home charging would be almost nil. Our 2016 leaf SV has a 6.6 KW charger but we don't take it south with us to Palm Springs so can't really compare. Once we started paying attention to where all the destination chargers are we realized how little charging we had to do at home. Sometimes it involves walking a few blocks...which is not necessarily a bad thing.

We won't be trading in the 2015 for a 2017 or 18 or 19 or 20....but we'll be looking on with a little envy to those who have them. :)

·
Registered
832 Posts
It's a 32A charger. When supplied with 240V, like on a residential EVSE, that works out to about 7.7kW. In most commercial settings EVSEs are on 208V, which makes about 6.6kW.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 32A charger. When supplied with 240V, like on a residential EVSE, that works out to about 7.7kW. In most commercial settings EVSEs are on 208V, which makes about 6.6kW.
Thanks supersmartie. Now I really want one. Oh well. Mortgage first. Are you getting one?

·
Registered
832 Posts
I'm keeping my 451. The faster charger has no benefit for me. I charge at home and as long as I get enough sleep, the car is also always full in the morning.

·
Super Moderator
1,567 Posts
I'm keeping my 451. The faster charger has no benefit for me. I charge at home and as long as I get enough sleep, the car is also always full in the morning.
Same here. I bet 90% of our driving is now in the Smart. Charge it over night and it's good to go the next day for as much as we need it. I saw the other day that my SLK had 80 miles put on it in the last six months.

Len
2014 EV

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,762 Posts
Level I home charging (have a Level II but have yet to justify a new circuit?) and the "limited" range meets our need most every day. And when we go off the grid an ice is readily available.

I would keep our leased 451 ED BUT the buy out at lease end is WAAAY upside down!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Same here. I bet 90% of our driving is now in the Smart. Charge it over night and it's good to go the next day for as much as we need it. I saw the other day that my SLK had 80 miles put on it in the last six months.

Len
2014 EV
I hear ya. When we are home in Canada we also do 90 percent of our charging at home as the network of level 2 chargers in our little town is not that good, or rather anywhere where we shop. We have a level 2 and level one in the garage and a level one in the driveway. However in Palm Springs the network is pretty good so the level 2 charging is readily available when we are out and about. We won't be trading off the 2015 ED anytime soon...but ya never know. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts