Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One key fob battery died and I was unsuccessful in replacing it. (It doesn't work, possible the new battery was bad. Not unheard of here.)

Down to one key and no dealer support.

I wake up at night thinking about having the second key battery go dead and being stuck with a car that won't run just because the key battery has died.

First, is there any hope of resurrecting the first key? Or is that totally shot because the battery died and was not replaced within minutes?

I'm assuming "no" to the above question.

Second, there is a hack that I can have at the ready - or even do in advance of the key battery dying? Nothing is too drastic!

Third, worse case: I ship the car back to the U.S. What do you think the chances are any random dealer will help me out?

I brought an extra key blade, extra mechanical parts/belts/filters, even an extra wheel. But didn't know that the key battery would be such a major problem. I'm really feeling stupid... so be gentle.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Just order a new battery here from smart madness. Did it start chirping 9 times before it died? That's the signal that the battery is getting low. Not sure if the battery can be installed upside down. Someone here will let you know.

Uptown Dog Company

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Uptown: Yes, the lights flashed (no chirping) as advertised. That's why I attempted the change of battery.

@JPaul: I will contact them.

@SmartBob: I was very careful to review the procedure before I made the change.

I was under the impression that after a number of minutes have passed after the battery was dead the keyfob would be useless. ??? Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia Said to do it within 2 minutes.

·
Registered
245 Posts
the chip does not need a battery to start the car. mine has not had one in it for 2-1/2 years and the car starts. only the buttons will not work with a dead battery, but you can use the key int the door if needed.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
The Chip DOES need the battery. I've personally tested it, when you remove the battery the car will key ON but you'll get a key logo in the cluster instead of a P.

You can go to Target, Walmart etc and pick up a battery and install it.

·
Registered
946 Posts
You can go to Target, Walmart etc and pick up a battery and install it.

Of course, this presumes that they have Target, Walmart or "etc" in Costa Rica in the first place...

Regardless, you can purchase these through on line suppliers or smart Madness.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I speak from experience, As I stated earlier, my car starts without the battery in the FOB, for over 2-1/2 yrs now. It just will not open the door without a battery.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The key does not start the car and the key symbol shows on the display.

From SOS Diagnostics: "The 2009 ForTwo will start even if the remote function does not work. If the car does not start, then there is something else wrong with the key and it will need to be replaced or repaired."

@Terry: No Targets, but Walmarts. I will pick up a battery from them - hoping that the battery is "fresh" but it appears it is not a battery problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts