Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Smart EV has been at the Cary, NC dealer for a week now waiting on a part. It is still under warranty. I took it in for the annual battery check and a warranty issue with the heater, i.e. had no heater last winter. I was told that the heater booster part was the needed part and that it would be in last Friday - nope. Then it was due in today - nope. The tech said that they hoped it would be in tomorrow and said that sometimes it is difficult to get Smart parts in. Not a huge inconvenience to me, since they gave me a loaner. Just wanted everyone to know here as some of you have found out that the dealer is unlikely to stock much and getting it from MBUSA/Smart might not be a quick and easy process. When I go to pick the car up, I'm going to ask about the more common parts like the desiccant cartridge and the cabin air filter. I don't need them. I'm just curious as to whether they stock them.

Len
2014 EV

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,782 Posts
CLT NC does not carry an inventory of desiccant cartridges but will delay your first year service so they can order one only to find it's not needed - yup, they returned it to the warehouse...

·
Registered
832 Posts
my experience: smart doesn't stock any parts at all. Everything has to get ordered, requiring an extra trip. And another one if while replacing part A they discover you also need part B.

·
Super Moderator
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well my dealer is 160 miles and eleven hours away, so I when I go to pick up my car, I want to make sure parts A, B and C are all replaced. I surely don't want to make a return trip.

Len
2014 EV

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,782 Posts
Len, inquiring minds want to know - as a shiftless ED fanboi have you adjusted to that "shifty" gasser?

·
Super Moderator
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Len, inquiring minds want to know - as a shiftless ED fanboi have you adjusted to that "shifty" gasser?
Let me put it this way - I REALLY miss my shiftless ED. "Shiftless" is not a good term when people use it to refer to me, but "shiftless" IMO is a really good term when referring to the ED. I'm getting better at driving the gasser, but I still don't care for its shifting.

Len
2014 EV

·
Super Moderator
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"as a 'shiftless ED' fanboi" - okay then, please accept my apology as this was hardly a personal attack? :shrug:
Absolutely no apology needed - that was just a poor attempt at humor on my part.

BTW, just got a call from the dealer. There was a "mix up" on ordering the part and it went to the wrong warehouse or something like that. Now the part won't be in until Thursday or Friday this week. My car went in a week ago and it could very well be next week before I get it back. That would really be an inconvenience if they hadn't provided me with a loaner. So I've got to be a shifty guy for another few days. Maybe I'll get it worked out by then.

Len
2014 EV now driving a 2015 ICE loaner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts