Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2016 smart fortwo EV Coupe
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 smart fortwo EV 2-Door Coupe that I bought in August. I loved it up until last week...

Last week I discovered a bullet hole through my back window. I went through several glass companies to find a replacement, but every company was telling me the part could no longer be ordered. I was able to find the part through a MB dealership in TX but later found out it was an error in their system. Yesterday, both the radio and the windshield wipers stopped functioning and now the driver seatbelt will not latch.

I'm not even sure where to start with trying to get this resolved. I found a window from a 2011 smart at a junkyard in a city 10 hours from me. I'm considering making the trek to purchase and collect it, but is there another way to fix this? As far as repairing the seatbelt, radio, and windshield wipers--should I try to go through MB or should I find a shop that can fix smart cars? I purchased the vehicle used through Carmax and have MaxCare.

I'm a first time owner and doing my best not to lose my mind with this but have no idea how to move forward. Can anyone help?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately, the 2011 donor glass won't fit your body style. You have the last generation, a 453. The 2011 is a 451.
This is the listing I was looking at. The eBay fit verification check says it fits a 2016 Fortwo EV coupe. So, it’s not accurate?

· Registered
1,590 Posts
I find it amazing that MB has discontinued a part as vital as the glass for a car only 6-7 years old! You would think that there would be a law prohibiting a manufacturer from ending support for a car so early. Probably is in Europe, but not the USA.

But also, weren't the 2016 IC-engine Smarts sent to the US 453's and the electrics 451's?

To prevent confusion, you need to call it a 2015 model to assure you are getting parts for a 451 - and of course all the body body and most of the interior/accessory parts are the same for both gas or electric.

· Registered
Now 09 451 Passion Cabriolet Met Blue & Silver First 08 451 Passion Cabriolet Yellow & Black
2,338 Posts
I find it amazing that MB has discontinued a part as vital as the glass for a car only 6-7 years old! You would think that there would be a law prohibiting a manufacturer from ending support for a car so early. Probably is in Europe, but not the USA.

But also, weren't the 2016 IC-engine Smarts sent to the US 453's and the electrics 451's?

To prevent confusion, you need to call it a 2015 model to assure you are getting parts for a 451 - and of course all the body body and most of the interior/accessory parts are the same for both gas or electric.
Not surprised

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I agree--it's such a headache.

There are a couple of comments stating the 2016 Smart Fortwo EV is a 451, but I can't seem to find information online verifying this. I found a shop that carries 451 stock so I want to make certain before I purchase it.

· Registered
353 Posts

There are a couple of comments stating the 2016 Smart Fortwo EV is a 451, but I can't seem to find information online verifying this. I found a shop that carries 451 stock so I want to make certain before I purchase it.
To confirm a 2016 EV IS a 451 model whereas a 2016 gas model is a 453, I know because I own a 2016 gas model and it IS a 453. Just go to one of the car sales sites and type in smart car 2016 EV and then 2016 gas and you will see the difference.

· Registered
1,590 Posts

The 451 has a very different body than the newer 453, The 453 is wider and with a distinct short "hood" as opposed to the virtually hoodless egg-shape of a 451. Here's a quick test - is the 12 volt battery under the passenger side footrest floor (451) or under the "hood" (453)?

"Earl's Smart car" thumbnail avatar is a 453. Does it look like yours?

But I am very sure that the 2016 ED is a 451. That is why, for the purpose of getting body parts, you should call it a 2015 model - when both the gas and electric versions were the same - to avoid any confusion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts