Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may have been discussed earlier, but I can't find my exact issue. Apologies if this has been covered before.

I returned from a week away and when I drove my 2015 smart electric drive (ED) 451, the steering felt "sluggish" when negotiating a slow turn. Doing so required more physical effort to turn the wheel at the beginning, and and to return to a forward direction. Driving on a road, with its normal curves and sways gave me no problem. After about 20 miles, the steering appeared to return to its normal feel, but after sitting in my driveway a bit, the problem returned.

How can "warming up" the steering mechanism make a difference? If that's what indeed was the case. I only notice this when pulling out of my driveway, for example, but not under normal operating speed.

What could be the cause of this?

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,812 Posts
The first thing I would do is check tire pressures. During your week away, a tire may have lost some pressure. After driving a few miles, it heated up enough to feel more stabile. After car sat a while and tires cooled, back to lower pressure. Just my guess and a lot cheaper than repairs.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The electric power rack is starting to fail
Ugh. I don't know what that is, but it doesn't sound good.
The first thing I would do is check tire pressures. During your week away, a tire may have lost some pressure. After driving a few miles, it heated up enough to feel more stabile. After car sat a while and tires cooled, back to lower pressure. Just my guess and a lot cheaper than repairs.
I thought of that, and I'll check. I did fill the tires shortly before I left, and I've gotten no low pressure warning, but who knows? You're right - it's an easy check.

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
Ugh. I don't know what that is, but it doesn't sound good.

I thought of that, and I'll check. I did fill the tires shortly before I left, and I've gotten no low pressure warning, but who knows? You're right - it's an easy check.
It’s one expensive part, unless you find a salvage one to replace yours. Plus labor to install.

Toy Machine Art Font Event

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It’s one expensive part, unless you find a salvage one to replace yours. Plus labor to install.
That it's expensive doesn't surprise me; after all, what ISN'T expensive these days?

No, what concerns me more is the time needed. There's only one smart service center available to me within driving distance, and the last time I had it there, they kept it for nearly four weeks. Only one qualified tech, and lack of available parts, you know...

I bought my smart in 2017 as an experiment to see what EV was all about. The home I'd purchased came with an EVSE (charger), so it was easy to buy a used smart with cash. I've more than gotten my money out of it, but maybe it's now time to consider the experiment over.

:confused:

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
That it's expensive doesn't surprise me; after all, what ISN'T expensive these days?

No, what concerns me more is the time needed. There's only one smart service center available to me within driving distance, and the last time I had it there, they kept it for nearly four weeks. Only one qualified tech, and lack of available parts, you know...

I bought my smart in 2017 as an experiment to see what EV was all about. The home I'd purchased came with an EVSE (charger), so it was easy to buy a used smart with cash. I've more than gotten my money out of it, but maybe it's now time to consider the experiment over.

:confused:
‘Your not limited to having a MB service you car. Any good auto service center, can preform service on your car. They can replace the steering rack, do a front end alignment.

good luck on your decision.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for your quick and helpful responses!

There is a service facility nearby I've used in the past that seems dependable. I think I'll go ask them about time and cost and then decide. I like my smart -- it's the perfect "around town" runabout for me. It also helps keep the mileage low on my ICE car! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts