Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone looked into this? I received the flyer in the mail last week and finally go around to reading it. Is this a free upgrade and is it worth the effort? Thanks.

·
Registered
525 Posts
JPaul,

how about you combine all the Trans threads into one?

or make a trans catagory?

I see the same questions often.

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
JPaul,

how about you combine all the Trans threads into one?

or make a trans catagory?

I see the same questions often.
Funny you should ask, 'mendo',
The Mods have been talking about consolidating the "Trans" threads for a while. I have been opposed in most instances because they were several distinct issues raised:
- the benefits (and shortcomings)
- the costs (or lack thereof), and
- how it is/has been implemented locally in some regional sub-forums.
In many of those instances, consolidation would just make the aggregated thread very confusing, don't you think?

Furthermore, most newer "Trans" threads are started by Members who have, for some (often valid) reasons, not seen the previous similar threads.
If we move those new threads under a different name, the OP may not find their "baby" and get frustrated. The best is to lead/link them to one of the "original" ones (or leave a "redirect" if it appears evident).

It's still "in progress".
Thank you for your patience and your suggestion!

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
Has anyone looked into this? I received the flyer in the mail last week and finally go around to reading it. Is this a free upgrade and is it worth the effort? Thanks.

Had it done last Friday. Shifts smoother. You get a new owner manual too!!
A new battery if your car has a alarm system. New vin badge on the door too!:)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Had it done last Friday. Shifts smoother. You get a new owner manual too!!
A new battery if your car has a alarm system. New vin badge on the door too!:)
Does this mean that I will lose my Daimler-Chrysler VIN tag? Is there any way to keep the old VIN sticker alongside of the new sticker? I assume that they will not change the number.......

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
The old VIN stickers are being replaced for legal reasons - they can be removed without destroying them. The old stickers have to be accounted for and returned to someone. DC vs DAG, ???

·
Registered
27 Posts
upgrade

Much diff in shifting with the upgrade. well worth the cost (nada)

You can also paddle shift without moving the shifter. I just read the handout today. Haven't tried it yet tho. They ran out of the stickers so I havent gotten one yet. Also trans upgrade is supposed to help the creep.

I got a new battery and do not have alarm ??

Also you get a free carwash.

D

·
Registered
672 Posts
Does this mean that I will lose my Daimler-Chrysler VIN tag? Is there any way to keep the old VIN sticker alongside of the new sticker? I assume that they will not change the number.......
I have one of the Daimler-Chrysler VIN tags and mine is NOT being replaced. Check with your service department to see if yours needs changing or not. - sheureka

·
Registered
917 Posts
Mine was one of the first Smarts off the boat last year. I had my 2.0 upgrade last week (and yes it is worth it) and the vin tag says DaimlerChrysler.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I got it done today. THey checked the battery but did not replace it because it was replaced in December when it went bad. They say I already have the newer bigger one. The shifting is different but I am still getting used to it. I had the other one down, so I have to relearn. It does seem to do better in traffic. I have the Area451 cc and it did not affect that at all, works fine.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Much diff in shifting with the upgrade. well worth the cost (nada)

You can also paddle shift without moving the shifter. I just read the handout today. Haven't tried it yet tho. They ran out of the stickers so I havent gotten one yet. Also trans upgrade is supposed to help the creep.

I got a new battery and do not have alarm ??

Also you get a free carwash.

D
The car wash thing was probably just a courtesy from your smart center. They didn't wash mine.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My upgrade was done today. It certainly shifts much smoother. I have the cab, with alarm, but no rain sensor. They did not say anything about the battery (car arrived in July 2008). Also, no car wash :( :( I never received an email, just dropped by on Thurs (the dealer is only three blocks from my office) and they said come in early on Tuesday and the car will be ready in 2.5 hours. It was ready on time. I had the scan guage hooked up and breathless sport muffler, no one said anything about these two mods.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts